Professionalism is a term that has been thrown at you quite a bit over the past 2 weeks. While everyone understands that it is important, many people find it difficult to define or agree on a succinct definition.
The American Pharmacists Association (APhA) defines professionalism as:
...the active demonstration of the traits of a professional. These traits include: knowledge and skills of the profession, commitment to self-improvement of skills and knowledge, service orientation, pride in the profession, covenantal relationship with client, creativity and innovation, conscience and trustworthiness, accountability for his or her work, ethically sound decision making and leadership.
This definition is further expanded upon in a white paper defining pharmacy student professionalism.
The American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) has also written a recent white paper on the tenets of student professionalism.
While few of us would have come up with all of the characteristics listed in the definition and articles above, probably all of us can recognize professionalism when we see it and can clearly identify people or situations in which professionalism is not being demonstrated.
For the students: review the definition an skim the articles linked in this post and think about how the meaning of being a professional and professionalism has changed since being accepted to and beginning pharmacy school. Can you recall a situation that you have witnessed or been involved in that either demonstrates professionalism or a lack of it?
For the mentors: be thinking about how your view or definition of professionalism has changed since graduating from pharmacy school and as you've moved through your career. The students will be asking you about this.
62 comments:
What was one time that you had a difficult situation in which you had a hard time maintaining your professionalism, and how did you ultimately do so?
-Kristen Willard P1
Once upon a time when I was a P4 on my critical care rotation, I was following a patient who had suspected SIADH. The physician who admitted her was ordering Mg boluses and Hypertonic saline solution multiple times per day. He also wrote for total perenteral nutrition, which is where I came in. By the hospitals protocol, pharmacy could write for whatever labs necessary to provide adequate therapy. I didnt like the fact that the patient had no labs and had been in the hospital for almost a week and subsequently had declining health over the entire course. My preceptor approved the labs I wrote for and the next day there was a nasty note from the physician DCing all of my lab orders. He found me in the hall when I was following another patient and proceeded to chew me up one side and down the other then told me pharmacists were NOT doctors and we didnt know what we were doing and he suggested I sign off on his patient before he had me removed from the hospital. At the time I wanted to inflict physical harm on the physician, but something told me not to even say a word to him and walk away. I was probably thinking about how I was in your shoes not so long ago listening to Dr. Nuzum lecture on this very topic, coupled with his strong sense of pacifism that kept me calm.
-Wes Haynes
Growing up I was given several pieces of advice: Always do what’s right, and the only thing you have is your name. In saying this, growing up in church and in a Christian family that was one of the core values bestowed in me “Do what’s right”. Also I never understood the other saying of “all you have is your name,” until a few years ago, but this is true. Say someone hurts you emotional or physically, or does something the community as a whole doesn’t agree with; what is the first thing you do? Go tell a friend or a family member, and if this someone continues in the wrong direction; the first thing people think of when they hear the name is “bad.” Do you really want that in life? Or do you want to be well known and respected when your name is called? In reflection of the essay “Tenets of Student Professionalism,” stepping into a pharmacy profession one is to know that you put others before yourself, and treat others with the utmost respect. That’s the name of this career, we are here to help others; whether it is explaining their medication or just being personable to which they know and trust. I can tell that now that I am accepted into pharmacy school and have begun my career, I will put every ounce of effort I can to become one of the best pharmacist I can be; and in doing so, hope I can help my classmates achieve the same goal because we are here as a team striving for the same opportunity. An example of a lack of professionalism comes to mind when I think of some pharmacies; when I step into a pharmacy to get a prescription filled, all I can see is the pharmacist head in the background counting medication, no smile on their face, and having his or her technicians answering the phone, having little to zero contact with the customers. To me that doesn’t fulfill the bicycle wheel. Yes, he may be doing the best he can in filling the prescription, but I don’t believe that is being well rounded or having enough “spokes” coming off of the hub of the wheel . I hope that one day when I enter the work force I will be able to fulfill all my “spokes” and help as many people as God may lead my way. Because I know now quoted from the essay I will, “ Strive for excellence and assume responsibility for my learning and professional development” (pg 3). So how maybe, can we as a class or even those out in the profession already, change this and make it where pharmacist may have a more personable experience with the customers from a retail stand point?
Josh Waters P1
What relationship should pharmacist have with their technicians and/or pharmacy managers have with the rest of their staff ? Working in a community pharmacy you're often in close quarters for most of the day and you do over time share stories, anecdotes, etc. But where does one draw the line ? It is difficult to reprimand someone you consider a friend but at the same time you don't want to alienate yourself as well.
-Rae(P1)
I know it was mentioned in class today, but a few of us are from small, rural areas scattered around North Carolina. In areas like theses a person in a white coat or a suit is almost viewed as "too good" to some. Is there a balance between being (and looking) professional and being approachable?
-Eric Beamon
WUSOP P1
Dr. Nuzum and we talked a lot about the dress code of Wingate University School of Pharmacy today, but there is no dress code or any requirement of personal appearance standard in the definitions of profession or professionalism of APhA and ACCP. So, in my opinion, they must assume that a sloppy genius is better than a well-dressed incompetent professional. While I believe a fancy suit might not enhance our performance, our neat appearance is necessary to gain patients' trust. We should include a dress code in the definition of professionalism.
Tai Tran
WUSOP class of 2014
I believe professionalism is a behavior that should be exhibited not only in the work place, but everywhere we go. "There is always someone watching," I always say, and a pharmacist's image could be compromised just because he/she decided to leave their professionalism at work when they left for the day. The professionalism with which we serve in the workplace should be part of every aspect of our lives.
Alisha Rivera-Menendez
WUSOP P1 Student
Was there a time when a customer yelled at you for not meeting his/her needs or was just plain arrongant? What was your response and what did you do about it?
- Sandra Nwankwo P1
I am from a pretty large city, and I know that every pharmacist in Brunswick, OH, does not dress in a full shirt and tie every day. If they did, I feel that less people would approach them to ask questions. I believe, in order to be professonal, pharmacists whould obide by a certain dress code. It depends on the company at which one works, but business casual should be fine for most pharmacists. However, clothes are not the only part of the "dress code." A pharmacist should be clean shaven and have good personal hygeine. Hair should be neat, and not any unnatural color or shape. Basically, I believe that WUSOP's dress code is the appropriate guidelines for community pharmacists.
I think a lot of us know what the right thing to do is most of the time. However, things are not always black and white but sometimes gray. Working as a technician I found that there were situations like this in the field and I was often unsure how to deal with them. How do you deal with the gray areas in a professional manner?
-Jessica Campisi
To the Mentors,
Did you attend a pharmacy school that emphasized professionalism? Did you have a dress code? If not, do you think it would have been easier to enter the profession of pharmacy if you would have had such requirements?
Thank you for your time,
Stephanie Seda (Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate, 2014)
How do you maintain professionalism when working with close friends? It is so easy to relax and approach those colleagues from a friend perspective instead of a coworker. How do you balance the two?
Nicholas Conley
P1 Wingate
I believe Rae raises a good question, and one that I would like further information on as well.
I worked at a grocery store in Florida and under strict guidelines, managers of any department were not allowed to form any sort of relationship, whether friendly or intimate, with their employees. However, occasionally I would see the Pharmacy Manager out with his techs at a restaurant or bar, and I heard of BBQ's and other social gatherings that the pharmacist held at his own home. Now according to company policies, the pharmacist was not following the rules, thereby, not acting as a professional. But is getting along with your staff and developing friendly relationships with them really unprofessional? As a pharmacist, you spend your days along side your techs, so is it really a bad thing to become friends with them? I understand that going to bars with your staff may not be the best idea, but is there a way a pharmacist can remain professional but still be friendly with his techs?
I will start by saying that everyone's opinion on this will vary. I think the biggest issue is how you want to represent yourself. In relation to Josh's post, I believe we need to ramp up efforts to increase qualifications of our Pharmacy Technicians. There is quite a bit of work that could be taken off of our plate as Pharmacists and done by "well qualified" technicians. Obviously not all pharmacy technicians would fit this category, thus the need for better training and certification. This would open up more time for us as Pharmacists to treat the patients directly and be there for questions. That being said, it also falls upon those of us in a retail setting to take the time to spend with our patients. As much as I hate to say it, there are quite a few pharmacists out there who would rather not ever talk to our patients. Why is that?? Are they that uncomfortable talking to people?? Should schools concentrate more on communication in their curriculums?? The answer is all of the above. It needs to be taught as, and be taken to heart by current pharmacists as a standard of care across the entire field.
Regarding the dress code issue, it is my experience that if we want to be treated as Healthcare Professionals, we should dress professionally. I absolutely disagree that wearing a shirt and tie would discourage someone approaching you with a question. In fact, considering the patient population we serve most often (the elderly), it actually helps more. At Texas Tech we did have a dress code and wearing shirt and tie, as well as a white coat never hindered my goal to learn and do my job. My experience has shown the elderly are actually less likely to talk to someone "dressed down" because they don't feel they know their information.
Lastly, with regard to a Pharmacists relationship with their staff, I believe that there is no way to avoid having friendly relationships with your technicians, despite being their boss. The key is that it becomes incumbent on you as the Pharmacy Manager to lay down the line that cannot be crossed. Every Christmas my partner and I take the entire staff and family out to dinner. One year they all came to my home. I think this is vital to maintain morale in the pharmacy and show that we as pharmacists do understand and care about what goes on with our technicians. At the same time, issues on the job have to be handled swiftly in all cases so no one will suggest favoritism. That is just my point of view from a retail setting here in Houston, TX.
Shawn Gautreaux PharmD, RPh
Complying with WUSOP’s dress code was probably easier for me than for some. When I worked in the pharmacy, all of us were required to dress as we do now, business casual. Tennis shoes, jeans, and t-shirts were not allowed. I witnessed how something as simple as the clothes that you wear can influence others' opinions of you. When I was behind the counter, dressed in my business casual attire, I looked professional and people were more willing to approach me because they believed that I was competent and could help them. But as we have discussed in class this week, professionalism involves a lot more than simply complying with a dress code. I have seen on numerous occasions where the technicians or pharmacists were dressed appropriately, but their attitude did not match their outer appearance. As trusted members of the health care community, we have to treat our patients with the utmost respect, even if they are not respectful towards us. Nonverbal communication often speaks louder than the actual words. This is, in my opinion, where most people run into trouble. Things such as eye rolling or tapping your foot while talking to a patient are very unprofessional and often result in the patient thinking negatively of you. I believe that what Josh was saying, about how your name was all that you had, was a correct statement. It only takes one negative encounter to damage your reputation. If you are not in good standing with your patients, they will be less likely to approach you because they might feel as if you do not wish to talk to them. A pharmacist is nothing without the trust of her patients; therefore, we must always behave in a professional manner to maintain our integrity as well as the integrity of the profession.
-Allison Hoyle
Student
What is professionalism? All of us can answer this question and yes, we can point it out when we see it in our lives. But how professionalism we are? and How we train ourselves to be professionalism? Not all of us can answer this question.
Professionalism is not a thing, we can't buy it or we can't sell it. It comes from our knowledge, characteristics, behaviors, and appearance. All of them must reach the standard to be considered as professionalism.
In my opinion, to be professionalism, we have to keep learning not only skills, knowledge, but also behaviors and appearance. We don't pretend to be professionalism, but we have to learn how to be professionalism and of course, we will be better and have more confidence when stepping out of our house. We must remind ourselves everyday before we go to school, go to work: Be ourselves - be professionalism.
Ngan Tran - P1
In our Professional Communications course we are learning about giving and receiving feedback; something I think is very important for anyone to grow in their field of expertise. I believe maturity and professionalism are very similar. You have to grow and learn to become mature just as you have to grow in your professionalism. Mentors - Is there a piece of advice or feedback that maybe one of your superiors gave you that you feel helped you grow or mature in your professionalism?
Thank you,
Katelyn Agee P1
Professionalism is a necessary trait to have in the world of pharmacy. As you advance, "dress to impress" is helpful in providing a good first impression (outside of your CV). I learned this on my first day of rotations. I do recommend to have a suit both for guys and girls. It goes the same way for interviewing for job positions. I believe professionalism will also display your maturity level. As I discussed earlier appearance is one factor that entitles professionalism but there are other components that makes it a whole. I do remember during my rotations and through my learning experiences in residency, you will need to build that status of yours for medical residents and attendings. Other health care professionals will not listen to you immediately. There is a positive "baseline" for pharmacists in the medical field but it's up to each person on how they further build their integrity. Continue to further your knowledge, network to other health care professionals, and as always think before you act.
-Anthony M. Casapao, Pharm.D.
Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Resident
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Department of Pharmacy and Therapeutics
To answer some of the questions:
1. Professionalism: Maintaining professionalism can be difficult at times when you're in the workplace. Keep in mind that even though you're surrounded by nurses, pharmacists, licensed technicians and physicians, they are people too. Some people have a difficult time leaving their home-life at home, and can bring that stress into work, where it can ricochet off others and worsen. Try to be calm and "keep your head down" if someone is having a bad day. If this kind of behavior continues, report it to your supervisor. If you are the supervisor, it's up to you to deal with it.
It can sometimes be difficult to maintain professionalism when you're meeting with a patient as well. I work in an ambulatory care setting, and had a patient a few days ago in for a BP and lipid check. I usually ask about diet, smoking, drinking, exercise, etc. to pinpoint areas of improvement. I asked what kind of exercise he got and he replied, "Every time I take Viagra". This may sound funny, but the man's wife was in the room with him and she looked horrified. I felt terrible for her. What do you do in this situation? You can either ignore them (many times they're seeking attention with behavior like this), warn them (tell them it's inappropriate and you do not wish to continue in that vein of talk), or simply end the visit/appointment early.
It's not always easy to keep a professional demeanor, but try to stay calm and focus on what's best for the patient to get you through it.
2. Attire: I've always been a proponent of dressing well for your job. You don't need to wear a tuxedo, but try to avoid the stained khakis and faded polo. First impressions are very important for patients, and help set the tone of your contact with them. If you're worried about the "better than you" issue with clothing, my suggestion is this: Look the part and act relaxed. If you're clean-cut and well-dressed, but smiling and helpful, it'll go a long way.
3. Inter-office Relationships: This goes a bit back to #1. If you're working community, or managing technicians in a hospital setting, you're going to get to know them very well. You'll celebrate birthdays, Christmas, Halloween, Festivus, ect. together and learn about each others families. It's OK to be a friend to the people you manage, but at the same time you need to be able to draw a line when it comes to your job. If a technician/pharmacist is slacking off and prescriptions are building up, you can ask them to help fill (rather they saying "quit screwing off and help me!"). If someone is getting fed up/angry about a situation/patient/etc, tell them to take 2-3 minutes to go cool off. Also, make sure to say "Thank you".
And, for the love of all that's holy, never use the phrases: "You're only a nurse" or "You're only a tech".
I think sometimes people forget that professionalism extends to nonverbal communication. I once witnessed a restaurant manager act unprofessionally in an exchange with an employee: although her tone of voice was not impolite, the manager was rolling her eyes and standing with her hands planted on her hips. Although she did not speak in an unprofessional manner, the effect was the same.
-Brittany Samples, P1
As I am now a professional due to my acceptance into WUSOP, I am questioning all of my actions, when I am at school, as well as outside of school. Should I always be carrying myself in a different way now, even though the general public doesn't know my career plans? I felt almost guilty of a crime last weekend when I was wearing a short skirt and had my Wingate backpack on.
Joslyn Sikkenga, P1 Student
@Sandra: Customers yell. It’s a given because of the nature of community pharmacy; one of the inherent flaws in the system is that our services (for the most part) are free. Not that this is wrong… it simply prompts the situation that patients can undervalue your service, trivialize what you actually have done for them, and feel justified in being flat out rude. I have very few negative interactions with patients; on the occasion that I do, I can almost always tell that something else is going on with the patient. They’re scared about their disease, their sick kids, their elderly parents, and they’re more than likely taking it out on you (likely, unknowingly). Give them a moment or two to vent, then tell them what you can do for them… giving people options (e.g. “I can do X or I can do Y, but I will not do Z”) is a great approach… do what’s right for the patient, don’t compromise yourself, and 99 times out of 100, you’ll come to a mutually beneficial outcome.
@Stephanie. WUSOP! You all may not realize it now, and may even be annoyed by having to drag out the ironing board more frequently than ever before, but WUSOP is giving you an overwhelming advantage. By instilling in you now the importance of a professional appearance, you will be light years ahead of your peers from schools with more relaxed dress codes. Often, how you dress is a visual representation of your personality; employers, project coordinators, professors, peers, and patients will all judge and relate to you based on your outward appearance. Why not make their perception a positive one?
@Katelyn: When I was an intern, a pharmacist told me that the best piece of advice she ever received was “Don’t be lazy.” Such a simple idea, but if you think about it, it’s what makes a professional a professional. Going above and beyond for your patients… trusting your gut and verifying a dose or a drug name… and having a vested interest in your patients’ well-being. Today, I precept for WUSOP, and when students ask me for words of advice on how to be a great pharmacist, I always tell them, “Don’t be lazy.”
____________________________
Erica Harms, Pharm.D., R.Ph.
Target Pharmacy | Executive Pharmacist
Charlotte, NC
eharms@carolina.rr.com
A few people have addressed attire as part of professionalism, as well as the different perceptions clients can have about someone’s attire (small town verses large city).
It’s weird how 4 years at WUSOP drove “professional dress” into my head without my realizing it. I now work at a substance abuse facility, where staff are asked to dress down somewhat. We do this because there is the belief that we are more approachable to our patients. Suits and ties are NEVER worn and white coats are avoided unless there is a procedure in which the lab coat is needed as protection (i.e. lab draws.) The majority of staff hospital-wide wear jeans and tennis shoes (a lot of people wear shorts, Capri pants and flip-flops.)
It was really difficult for me to “dress down” for work, especially for a clinical role. I still have a hard time but have found ways to dress up jeans and other casual clothes.
What I’ve learned from this experience is that it’s important to know the people that you’re serving. It’s important that your patients believe you are approachable, trustworthy and knowledgeable. My patients would feel intimidated and uncomfortable talking to someone “dressy,” so I have to dress in a way that helps them feel comfortable enough to discover how trustworthy and knowledgeable I am.
Depending on where your pharmacy setting is and who your patients are, dressing “professionally” may be something totally different that what you learn at school (sorry WUSOP.) :-)
While the city in which I worked was not necessarily small, I would often run into patients from the pharmacy in social settings. Many of our patients were also friends of my family, so I saw them frequently outside of work as well.
My question to the mentors is: Is there a "baseline" of professionalism that you try to meet every day even when you are not at work? And have you ever had an encounter with a patient outside of work that affected your professional relationship with them?
I'm worried that something like dressing down in public or being out late on a friday night may cause patients to see me as less professional.
Carolyn Kilbane P1
I believe that professionalism does extend to our attitudes and behaviors in how we handle certain (maybe even unpleasant) situations. We all have a general understanding of professional behavior and know how to act accordingly, but like we discussed in class there may be a point where the professional behavior stops and the personal behavior emerges. I would like to avoid these incidents. Hearing mentors share their stories really help me to think about what I would do if I was in their situation. I can evaluate their action: “Was it a good action?” “Was there a better solution?” “What would have been the worst solution?” etc. Being accepted into a professional program does not automatically induce thoroughly professional behavior while we are wearing our white coat or placed in a professional setting. If you do not know yourself or your “point of impact,” I suggest to practice by using hypothetical scenarios. I definitely am not perfect, and I feel that I need to think ahead about the situations that a pharmacist is likely to encounter. If professionalism is not natural, it must be learned.
P1-Malia Yang
To the Mentors,
Have you ever witnessed other pharmacists or your superiors acting unprofessional? If so, how did / would you deal with these situations? It seems that it would be easier to approach individuals that are under your authority in comparison to individuals that have equal job titles or superior authority.
-Kevin Morris
WUSOP P1
With myself coming from a place of minimal experience in a pharmacy or pharmacy setting, "professionalism" can be somewhat intimidating. I find myself questioning, "am I doing/saying this right?" or "how do I go about this in the right/acceptable way?" As a pharmacist, were there situations when you were in school or right out of school in which a doctor, more experienced pharmacist, etc., really put you in your place for doing/handling a situation in the wrong way? If so, how did you go about handling it and what would be your best advice for not questioning myself in situations such as these?
@ Wes Haynes WOW! I am not sure I would have handled that as nicely as you have. To have a “professional” be so disrespectful to a member of his team (or better yet a whole profession), I know I would not have been as kind to just walk away. So how does one be professional in a situation like that? This is a different situation than dealing with a patient; I have the patience for that. But for a professional, such as a physician, who have similar experiences that a pharmacist would have. I would expect better behavior and a reasonable thinking process, but since doctors are still human beings (as are pharmacists), how do you react to another healthcare professional, such as a doctor, who has lost all inhibition? Even working in retail, the pharmacists I have worked with receive phone calls from physicians furious over messages about dosages or any pharmacy duties that do not involve filling medications. The phone calls always end with “you are not a REAL doctor”. For me, I would want to say something, what is difficult is saying something without also being disrespectful or losing inhibition. I ask this question to any eMentor.
Disclaimer: I, in no way, believe that all doctors think or behave this way.
Suemi Coaxum
WUSOP 2014
P-1
I found the white paper interesting and on point. As someone who has worked in a community pharmacy setting that was a list of 'what not to do,' I am amazed I still wanted to be in this field. Foul language, filthy white coats, "its not my job" repeated often, schedules distributed Friday for Sunday, patients mocked openly, new employees left on their own to 'figure it out.' The list goes on...
I try to follow simple professional mottos -
"Speed of the leader, speed of the team"
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you find time to do it over?"
"Do it now, get it out of your face"
"Is my service astounding?"
"Never ask someone to do something you won't do"
"It takes more energy to pretend to do something and lie, than to just DO IT"
-Dineane Williams P1
Without professionalism, can we still be considered a respectful pharmacist? In a case that we really want to help people but do not care about professionalism.
Ngan Tran -P1
I think as little kids, we were all taught bits and pieces of being professional. Growing up, my parents have always stressed, “play nice,” “be polite,” “work hard,” “help each other,” “don’t lie.” Now as an adult, these lessons have taken on a new perspective. As a current pharmacy student and future pharmacist, all these lessons taught by my parents have transformed into “professionalism.” Like Malia has already mentioned, “If professionalism is not natural, it must be learned.”
Yes, we may be nice, but will we be nice to the customer who is yelling because their prescription is not ready? This is where I am glad that Wingate emphasizes professionalism. I want to build upon my professionalism and learn to become better. Professionalism, to me, means using my skills and knowledge to help others, having a good work ethic, and ultimately gaining the respect, trust, and acceptance of patients and other healthcare professionals.
-Sendra Yang P1
Alright- I have worked in a community pharmacy for the past year as a technician and I have just recently been bumped up an intern position. I have discussions with my pharmacists about professionalism fairly often, and one thing that I really struggle with is the "unprofessionalism" of a particular technician.I feel like the reason it irks me so is due to the constant battle that I fight to win the respect and attention of our patients. Professionalism seems to be a very natural thing to me due to the nature of the profession I have chosen, but it clearly is not that way for my fellow team member. How do you go about recognizing and curbing the "unprofessionalism" of those around you in the pharmacy? Is it something that should be ignored until it reaches an extreme? I'm sure that this will not be my only encounter in life with an associate that behaves unprofessionally- so I would just like to hear how you would handle it? Thanks!
Amanda Hill
P1 Student
"What was one time that you had a difficult situation in which you had a hard time maintaining your professionalism, and how did you ultimately do so?"
-Kristen Willard P1
We pharmacists can get it from all ends sometimes; nurses, physicians, and other health care members have stressful jobs requiring the juggling of many balls - sometimes those balls drop and tempers can flare. I have found that most explosive situations can be defused when you show empathy for the other individual; provide a quick explanation of your thought process, work flow, or other factors; and use an assertive tone with a smile. Many times an explanation of why you did what you did suffices and the situation is resolved.
There are times, however, when the individual is simply unreasonable and just wants to yell no matter what you say or do to try to fix the problem. In those instances, you may just have to draw upon your inner reserve and walk away - even if it is in the middle of their rant. You may even get an apology later on after the individual has cooled off.
As an Alum of WUSOP, I can tell you with confidence that you will be well prepared for inner dispensary interactions upon graduation. Especially if you become involved in extracurricular activities and are active in professional organizations. While out on your early practice experiences and fourth year rotations, ask your preceptors how they handle difficult situations; you never know what experiences you will draw from when confronted. My advice to you is to expose yourself to as many opportunities to learn as possible these upcoming four years in order to best prepare you for life upon graduation and in your career as a pharmacist; then go with your gut and trust yourself.
Lisa DePetris, PharmD
St. Vincent's Medical Center
Jacksonville, Fl
lgdepetris@gmail.com
I am in community practice and my biggest job satisfaction is the difference I make in my patient's lives every day. I always try to keep my focus on the outcome I am trying to achieve both with patients and with other health care professionals. That outcome is to improve the overall health of the patient. I don't let my ego or emotions get in the way of that goal. I try to approach each encounter in a nonconfrontational manner in body language, attitude, and word choice. I listen with my full attention and do not interupt. This is hard sometimes because patients want to tell you facts not related to the problem at hand. I do ask questions to direct them and give positive reinforcement when they stay on the subject at hand. At the end of the encounter, I ask them if we have resolved their problem. Remember it is not us against them, but all of us working together to improve outcomes!
I have been fortunate to practice in the same community pharmacy location for almost 6 years, so most of the patients know my name. When I problem solve over the phone, I always end the encounter with "My name is Ann if you need anything else." Most people don't catch your name when you first answer the phone and by reinforcing it at the end you have sent a message that you will be there for future questions.
Why do you think there has been a trend in America from business professional to business casual.
I can't say that I've had too many run-ins with unprofessional behavior, but I can recall a time when a store manager snapped at me because she was having a "bad" day. Becuase of her behavior I left without even asking her the question I had in mind about one of the products in the store. It's important to remember that you must act professionally, even if you technically "don't feel likt it." You never know what kind of an impression you may be making on someone!
Working as a pharmacy technician at a community pharmacy for more than two years has significantly changed my life style. When I put that white coat I know that I am committed to providing an excellent service for my patients. A couple of months ago, I had a patient who just got discharged from a hospital and wanted me to fill ten prescriptions. Unfortunately, I didn’t have one of the medications in stock and the patient didn’t have any means of transportation to go to another pharmacy. As part of my commitment to quality patient care, I personally drove to the pharmacy that had the medication and filled it for the patient.
The past two weeks of my school of pharmacy experience allowed me to have better understanding of professionalism. Professionalism starts with dress code. Our appearance says a lot about us. In addition, I have learned to be engaged in a lifelong learning, being conscientious, and take accountability for one’s work in professional life.
Mentors: What is your best advice for first year pharmacy students in terms of maintaining professional life style both in and outside of school environment?
Ferealem Assefa
WUSOP P1 student
Mentors,
How has your definition of professionalism changed since you became a PharmD.? Has practicing pharmacy shown you any other facets of the idea of professionalism you didn't recognize while in pharmacy school?
-Danielle Nichols P1
I would like to comment on what Dr. Harms said about not being lazy. I think that is the best advice someone can give you before starting any career. Especially in the healthcare career, mistakes can happen simply because someone was negligent. I also agree with what Dineane was saying above about doing the job well the first time. All of these are important if not necessary to ensure the best patient care. I believe that not being lazy is probably the most important part of professionalism. Even if you are the great pharmacist, arriving to work with shorts and flip flops shows laziness. Taking the time to put on a nice dress or shirt and tie demonstrates professionalism. Not being lazy and going that extra step can start with something as simple as wardrobe or as crucial as double counting a CII.
-Ishita Gandhi
P1 Student
I think professionalism is required for not only pharmacist but also all other people.
But is there any difference between pharmacists' professionalism and others (teachers, engineers, etc...)?
We have hit on many areas of professionalism in this blog, ranging from dress code to our actions. I have had a variety from jobs in the customer service industry: billing for cable company, customer service rep for Caremark, and a pharmacy technician, just to name a few. There were several times where I have been placed in a situation that called on being "professional" even when you did not want to. One example, while working for Caremark, I literally had a woman scream at me over the phone for an hour non-stop because her credit card had not been charged for her mail order. It was a difficult situation to be put into and not take personally, but I handled it well. I will admit there are moments where I have not acted in a professional manner when I knew better. This may have been because I knew I could "get away with it" or from being lazy. From my experience, I have learned that "professionalism" is a habit that you consistently have to work on, as it is not always second nature.
My question to the eMentors is how do you deal with addressing a superior in a work situation that acts unprofessionally? When working as a technician, I found that my pharmacy owner did and said many things I found offensive, and I brought them to his attention. However, many of the technicians I worked with were young females and were too intimidated to address him when they were put in those awkward situations. Ultimately, my boss grew to respect me for bringing things to his attention, yet I think some people who have not had much experience dealing with this type of situation could use a few pointers.
Cole Herrell (WUSOP P-1 student)
One particular instance of professionalism occured at a CVS drive thru window. The staff pharmacist was a kindly, older man who preached on Sundays and who many would consider grandfatherly. Every Saturday, this pharmacist would get lunch for the technicians working for him and the technicians would alternate buying sodas for him. (Orange soda was our favorite.) One afternoon, the pharmacist went to help a patient at the drive thru. The patient was particularly upset about something, copay, insurance, etc. and they proceeded to spit directly into the face of the pharmacist. He, as any of us would be, was totally horrified. He calmly shut the drive thru window, cleaned himself up, and said that though he would liked to have said something really nasty to that person, he felt sorry for them and would pray for them. I will always remember this pharmacist as being a sweet, gentle man who, when he left to work at a different pharmacy, typed a note to be handed out to patients inquiring of his whereabouts, which said, "Phrom your Phriendly Phamily Pharmacist, Goodbyes are just too painful."
P1 - Amanda Flores
Working as a pharmacy technician, I was able to see the ways in which professionalism is very important in dealing with patients on a daily basis. This can be linked to situations of helping patients deal with embarrassing issues or very frustrating matters of insurance coverage and/or payment of medications, some of which can be extremely expensive. While I do believe in the latter case that professionalism is necessary to help appropriately direct a patient's frustration (i.e. keep them from yelling at the employees of the drug store), I have witnessed situations where the pharmacist had no other choice, but to dismiss the patient because of his or her unruly conduct. This included dismissing the patient in person as well as over the phone. It seems to be that part of being professional requires that you maintain your composure, but at the same time, certain situations have to be dealt with more assertively.
The white paper on student professionalism mentions a disillusionment between how professionalism is taught in school and how it is actually portrayed in the workplace. The paper mentions that pharmacies are more pressured to act as profit centers instead of institutions where efficient patient care is given. How can a pharmacist find the balance between maintaining a professional demonstration of patient care and still hold to the company’s bottom line?
--James Burrows (P1)
Question for the Mentors: With all this discussion about professionalism, pride in the profession, and gaining patients' respect, I have to wonder why community pharmacists don't insist on being addressed as "Doctor." You worked hard for your degree and it speaks to your level of knowledge and ability. I feel like a lot of patients don't understand the level of education required to be a pharmacist - sometimes community pharmacists can be treated like mere clerks. Any thoughts?
Mariah Whatley P1 WUSOP
I would like to comment on the good point made by Dr.DePetris. In my six years of experience as a technician, I have noticed that you do occasionally encounter a patient that is not satisfied and seems to be acting “mean”. Dr.DePetris is right and has supported my notion that one of the best ways to remain professional about a difficult situation is by having empathy. One must remember that most of the people that go to pharmacies are not there for pleasure; most are there because they are not feeling well. People go to pharmacies to seek medication; it is their last step in their road to recovery. Though one may encounter a patient that is angry or upset, we must keep in mind that this person is really not "out to get us" but instead they are going through a rough time, and it is our responsibility to make sure we give them the care and attention they need to get better.
-Maryann Choy-Ames
P1
From the moment I was accepted into pharmacy school, it seemed as if everyone around me changed. My peers at work suddenly seemed to have a greater respect for me as a future pharmacist. While everyone around me believed I was destined to become a pharmacist, it wasn’t until I received my acceptance letter that I fully agreed with them. Simply telling people I am in pharmacy school gives me a sense of pride. I know I am the future of pharmacy and becoming a professional has even matured my attitude overall. The imposed dress code is a highly debatable topic, but I feel that the requirement of “professional dress” helps each of us feel confident in ourselves and is preparing us for the profession. Many years ago I worked with a pharmacist that typically spent evenings partying and drinking. There were times she would come into work hung-over, and it clearly affected her work. Not only did she function at a much slower pace, but at times you could even smell the alcohol still on her breath. It was not only unsafe and dangerous to the patient, but it was extremely unprofessional to the patients and the staff. The more frequently this issue arose, the more respect the staff lost for her.
~Chrissi Tyrrell, P1
Coming from another career before attending pharmacy school, I learned what it takes to be a professional. I learned how to talk to people, dress the part, and adopted a hard-work ethic this company drove into us. After work, the company was fond of buying dinner and drinks for their employees to attempt to bond us together. Some nights were crazier than others, but the point is that professionalism really stopped when you clocked out. Now I’m not saying everyone got “fall down drunk” but we had a good time. However, it never occurred to me that a professional is still a professional “off the clock”. After our discussion in class Tuesday, this makes sense. If you’re viewed at your work as a respectable trustworthy individual, then seen outside of work with unprofessional behavior, you will lose the trust you built. With that being said, I do feel that there is a definite difference between my last job and a pharmacist in terms of professionalism. This leads me to an interesting thought. Are there different levels of professionalism? Or, is a professional a professional?
-Evan MacDonald P1
I would really like to hear some more advice on Jessica Campisi's question about "grey area". I too have had experience in a small hometown pharmacy where I understand the difference between wrong and right and know how to carry myself in a professional manner, but what should you do if the Pharmacist you work for is doing things that you know he or she should not be doing when it comes to dispensing of medication. How do you go about being respectful to your boss while also upholding the standards of a Pharmacy?
Jamie Nix, P1 student
Attire: I work at a large hospital that employs over 50 pharmacists. Our pharmacists (including staff) are on the floors regularly and not in the main pharmacy, therefore administration strongly encourages that the pharmacists "dress up" so that we look professional amongst the physicians, avoid being mistaken as nurses/staff (especially during codes), garner respect for our advice and as a whole represent the pharmacy positively. These ideas reflect what I was taught at WUSOP, and it was a smooth transition for me into workplace.
Having said that; I do believe "dressing professionally" differs greatly depending on where you work. As Erik said, being clean-cut, dressed appropriately and neatly, with a smile and confidence is always a good start!
Insisting on the "Doctor" Title: It was instilled in me at Wingate, and in my personal life that pharmacy is a service-based profession. While we all have worked very hard to obtain our Doctorate; I believe it's easier and in some settings more appropriate (ie. academia) than others to insist on the Doctor title. I believe that we as a profession need to garner the respect through our actions (reputation/skills/advice) vs. verbally demanding we be addressed a certain way. Physicians, nurses and patients will respect and rely on you and seek your advice after you have formed meaningful relationships with those you serve. We want to be approachable as a profession both to healthcare professionals and to patients, not build barriers.
Other things to consider: There are other things that I believe make up professionalism.
-Treating your superiors as well as your subordinates with kindness and respect.
-Maintaining friendships with coworkers while always being cognizant of the appropriate boundaries.
-One I haven't seen mentioned but i believe to be absolutely crucial is AVOIDING GOSSIP in the workplace.
-In line with what Erica mentioned "don't be lazy"! Always, be diligent in what you do, doing it as well and accurately to the best of your ability. Being able to 'follow through' as well as 'follow up' shows a true professional.
Julia Khalil, PharmD
Baptist Health of South Florida
Miami, FL
There is no greater trait for a pharmacist to have than professionalism, in my opinion. The dress code affects how the patients respond and respect the person in the white coat. But the dress is a minute part of being a professional. The attitude of the professional is a more lasting effect than khakis and a polo. It is severely important to show members of one>s community the personal, knowledgeable and benevolent aspects that professional pharmacists possess. This is communicated in everything from how one stands to how one says a simple <> to how one explains what a certain drug can do to the liver.
Mentors,
Do you put more emphasis on the way you dress or your attitude behind the counter every day? Is professionalism an ever-changing definition for today's pharmacist? What do you think the role of the professional pharmacist will be in 2014?
-Jeremy Efird
To the Mentors,
To help keep a professional persona would you recommend finding employment outside of your hometown? I ask this because, being from a small town, you will rarely ever meet a stranger or at least someone whom you do not recognize. Therefore, if you were out at a local restaurant and/or bar in town having a casual drink with friends, it would probably also be in sight of potential customers to your community pharmacy. Would you consider this unprofessional? Some customers may not approve of such behavior and not think of the pharmacist on such an elevated and academic position anymore. If you were to find employment maybe 30 miles outside of your hometown, this may not be a problem.
John Miller P1
I would just like to comment and follow up on Kevin's question regarding Pharmacists acting unprofessional. I actually have no pharmacy experience, so everything that I have acquired about pharmacy and professionalism has been through the pharmacists I have had discussions with. Each one I spoke with absolutely loved their job and had such great things to say about the profession and other pharmacists. Although I haven't experienced professionalism in the workplace quite yet, it is so nice to hear other Pharmacists talk about the career with such admiration and professionalism!
Caitlin Mullins
P1 Student
Before this week the word professionalism was merely a term which brought to mind an individual who was mature and self- controlled in a respected job. Throughout the last two weeks that definition has changed and expanded to encompass almost all aspects of a professional’s life. I now realize a professional represents his entire field; which is a large responsibility when you think about it. As we (students) make the transition into professionals in the field of pharmacy and even now to a lesser degree; we represent more than ourselves in our workplace and community. Therefore, I now realize professionalism is a large responsibility of a pharmacist and can be a burden at times. My question to the mentors is what is the hardest part of being a professional and does it get easier with time?
We have been presented with various tips on how to display professionalism over the past two weeks. We have also discussed the topic of professionalism during our first class session with Dr. Nuzum. I have learned from my early experiences as a CPhT that a technician who dresses professional and acts professional is respected more by the patients as well as the pharmacist on duty. As a pharmacist does the appearance of the technician influence your level of confidence in their ability to perform tasks accurately? Also if the technician appears to be dressed inappropriately yet seems to be competent and efficient, does this change the fact that they are dressed unprofessional and make it easier to dismiss or does the lack of trust in accuracy remain?
Tiffany Benfield P1
I wanted to follow up with David's question about professionalism getting easier because I am curious about this. Just this weekend, an incidence occurred at my hometown pharmacy and the pharmacist and another technician began to openly talk about the situation in negative terms. They began to criticize the customer and it just got me thinking about all of the discussions about professionalism and how we must respect ALL patients. I feel as if we, as professionals, sometimes forget the meaning behind the white coat and how we should act accordingly. Mentors-does professionalism get easier as we transition? Also, do you have any tips on how to approach a situation where a fellow employee may be talking about a customer in a negative light?
Emily Byrd P1
This is in response to Tiffany's comment about pharm tech's attire and whether we gain or loose confidence in them based on the attire they choose to wear. I don't think its a matter of a pharmacist loosing confidence in them because it won't take but a couple of hours of working with them to determine whether they are competent or not, but I think its important that when a patient comes to get their prescription filled that they not loose confidence in the staff in charge of filling their prescription and getting it correctly filled. Professional attire in conjunction with a well presented and well organized pharmacy gives them that confidence. So I think dress code in a pharmacy is vital to give the public that initial first impression when they come to the pharmacy so that they know there script will be filled efficiently and professionally. So I am in agreement with Tai that something that addresses professional attire should be added to the definition of professionalism.
Jim Zacharias
P1
I have been working in a community pharmacy for about a year now as a cashier and tech, and I have seen where two pharmacists will not get along, either complaining about one not doing all of their closing tasks, or small discrepancies where because they are both "in charge" neither one would listen to the other's advice ending with one pharmacist moving stores. I saw this as unprofessional reactions to one another and even though the patients didn't witness, the rest of the staff are able to observe the situation. Have any of you had this problem in the field, and how could this be handled professionally if a fellow pharmacist are not completing all of their duties, even when confronted?
-Leanne Wentz P1
Going back to the do not gossip comment, I think that is the most valuable advice one could give in a pharmacy. It is hard to work with people on a daily basis and not get upset or frustrated with them and want to vent to others about them but that is the worst thing you can do. It creates drama, a stressful working environment that people do not want to come into, and just problems in the long run. Its hard not to let yourself vent, but this is where professionalism comes in.
To Wes Hayes,
The story you to told Kisten Willard about how the physician was on your case about your lab orders was interesting.
I know that pharmacists are patient advocates and physicians has the right to remove pharmacy students out of the hospital but did you end up making the lab orders anyway? What was your response to the physician after he scold you AND threatened you?
Sandra Nwankwo
WUSOP P1 Student
Post a Comment