A moderated blog for the electronic mentor program at Wingate University School of Pharmacy
Friday, October 15, 2010
Open Topics
As a reminder: the last two topics of the semester are to be chosen by the students and mentors. Please use this blog post to provide your requests/suggestions for these topics. We will vote on them in the coming weeks.
17 comments:
Anonymous
said...
How about The Origin and Evoulution of abortion and about Opinions About The Rise and Establishment of the Healthcare Reform. I know there're very contraversival topics but it'll interesting and engaging to hear what the students think about it.
One topic I'd like to discuss is the possibility of requiring certain standard of education and certification for technicians. Would requiring techs to have a greater degree of education and giving them more responsibility free pharmacist to do more or could this potentially hurt the job market for pharmacist ?
I am actually doing a speech on legalizing marijuana. Since we are all about to become pharmacists and states like California are voting this year on issues like Proposition 19 (which would basically legalize marijuana), this issue could become VERY relevant to what we will be doing as healthcare professionals.I also think it could make for good debate!
Should pharmacists hold the patient's hand or empower their patients to take responsibility for their health? (ie - "Oh, you ran out of refills. Let me loan you some until I can contact your doctor and get some more" vs "This is your last refill on this medication. You may want to go ahead and contact your doctor about getting a renewal soon.") I have seen pharmacies give away gobs and gobs of meds to spoiled patients.
One more - I've always wondered - Should we have our patients refer to us as Dr. "your name", especially in the community setting ? It seems to me there is a stigma attached to being referred to Dr. in the community setting. Yes, one can argue that a first name basis makes pharmacist more approachable, but being addressed professionally as "Dr." does add more credibility and weight.
How about all of the young children that are prescribed Ritalin or Metadate or Adderall? I have seen children as young as four years old, so what age should children be able to receive this medications? Many of these medications have never been even tested on children this young, so the long term effects are unknown.As a pharmacist would you have a problem filling a prescription for Ritalin for a child that is four years old.
I like Danielle's and Melissa's ideas regarding all the children being prescribed ADHD medications and whether it's just too much dispensing of the med for children.
I think a discussion along the lines of children/adolescents receiving ADD/ADHD meds such as Ritalin, Adderall, etc. would be a good topic. I also second Stephanie Seda's suggestion for Physician Assisted Suicide.
What about a discussion about the cost of a drug, especially a drug that does not have a generic. How does drug cost impact the economy? Is this contributing to the government deficit substantially? Should drug cost be lowered and patents be extended for a drug company?
"What is pharmacists' role in Physician-Assisted Suicide?"
"With the number of pharmacists who are authorized to administer vaccinations is dramatically increasing, should we as pharmacists be concerned with the link of vaccinations to autism?" Jeremy Efird P1
drug approval process- if we can specifically target a therapy to a specific individual for diseases like cancer, why do we need randomized controlled trials?
Drug shortage issue: should there be FDA regulations concerning pharmaceutical companies taking drugs off the market because of reduced profitability, especially when it hurts patients who need their drugs?
Physician assisted suicide and the related drugs prescribed Legalizing marijuana and the use in the healthcare field Governing laws of pharmacy, should there be more laws or guidelines
17 comments:
How about The Origin and Evoulution of abortion and about Opinions About The Rise and Establishment of the Healthcare Reform. I know there're very contraversival topics but it'll interesting and engaging to hear what the students think about it.
''Is the pharmaceutical industry responsible for the high cost of drugs?''
''Are too many children receiving Ritalin?''
''Should healthcare to the elderly be rationed?''
"Should marijuana be legalized?"
"Is Autism linked to vaccinations?"
One topic I'd like to discuss is the possibility of requiring certain standard of education and certification for technicians. Would requiring techs to have a greater degree of education and giving them more responsibility free pharmacist to do more or could this potentially hurt the job market for pharmacist ?
Raean
Physician Assisted Suicide
Stephanie Seda P1 WUSOP
I am actually doing a speech on legalizing marijuana. Since we are all about to become pharmacists and states like California are voting this year on issues like Proposition 19 (which would basically legalize marijuana), this issue could become VERY relevant to what we will be doing as healthcare professionals.I also think it could make for good debate!
Should pharmacists hold the patient's hand or empower their patients to take responsibility for their health? (ie - "Oh, you ran out of refills. Let me loan you some until I can contact your doctor and get some more" vs "This is your last refill on this medication. You may want to go ahead and contact your doctor about getting a renewal soon.") I have seen pharmacies give away gobs and gobs of meds to spoiled patients.
Mariah Whatley P1
One more - I've always wondered - Should we have our patients refer to us as Dr. "your name", especially in the community setting ?
It seems to me there is a stigma attached to being referred to Dr. in the community setting. Yes, one can argue that a first name basis makes pharmacist more approachable, but being addressed professionally as "Dr." does add more credibility and weight.
Raean
How about all of the young children that are prescribed Ritalin or Metadate or Adderall? I have seen children as young as four years old, so what age should children be able to receive this medications? Many of these medications have never been even tested on children this young, so the long term effects are unknown.As a pharmacist would you have a problem filling a prescription for Ritalin for a child that is four years old.
-Melissa Terry
I like Danielle's and Melissa's ideas regarding all the children being prescribed ADHD medications and whether it's just too much dispensing of the med for children.
I think a discussion along the lines of children/adolescents receiving ADD/ADHD meds such as Ritalin, Adderall, etc. would be a good topic. I also second Stephanie Seda's suggestion for Physician Assisted Suicide.
i like Danielle Nichols idea
Ngan Tran -P1
What about a discussion about the cost of a drug, especially a drug that does not have a generic. How does drug cost impact the economy? Is this contributing to the government deficit substantially? Should drug cost be lowered and patents be extended for a drug company?
Malia
"Are anti-ADHD meds overprescribed?"
"What is pharmacists' role in Physician-Assisted Suicide?"
"With the number of pharmacists who are authorized to administer vaccinations is dramatically increasing, should we as pharmacists be concerned with the link of vaccinations to autism?"
Jeremy Efird P1
Should registered sex offenders be allowed to get erectile dysfunction drugs? What about birth control?
-Cole Herrell P-1 Student
drug approval process- if we can specifically target a therapy to a specific individual for diseases like cancer, why do we need randomized controlled trials?
One more:
Drug shortage issue: should there be FDA regulations concerning pharmaceutical companies taking drugs off the market because of reduced profitability, especially when it hurts patients who need their drugs?
Physician assisted suicide and the related drugs prescribed
Legalizing marijuana and the use in the healthcare field
Governing laws of pharmacy, should there be more laws or guidelines
Shawn Jessup
Post a Comment