Professionalism is something that you have been talking about a lot over the last couple of weeks. While most of us can recognize when behavior is professional or not, it can be hard to come up with a concrete definition of professionalism. APhA defines professionalism as:
...the active demonstration of the traits of a professional. These traits include: knowledge and skills of the profession, committment to self-improvement of skills and knowledge, service orientation, pride in the profession, covenantal relationship with client, creativity and innovation, conscience and trustworthiness, accountability for his or her work, ethically sound decision making and leadership.
There is also a white paper to further expand upon this definition as it concerns student pharmacist professionalism.
ACCP also has a white paper on the tenets of student professionalism.
Students, review the definition and skim the papers in the links. How has your definition of professionalism and being a professional changed since being accepted into and beginning pharmacy school? Can you recall a time where you have noticed highly unprofessional or highly professional behavior?
Mentors, how has your view of professionalism changed as you have graduated, received your license, and advanced throughout your career?
We had some great discussion today on where to draw the line between your professional and your personal life. Is there a line at all?
65 comments:
Absolutely there is a line, my dad told me years ago to always act how you want to be treated. If you act rudely, people will treat you rudely; if you act polite and honest, people will treat you as such. That leads into how I approach my new career. Being a pharmacist, you instantly put yourself in a position of trust and integrity, do that at all times. I will add that the only place you can truly not have to abide by any professional standard is when you are home!
In the short span that I have been in the Pharmacy program, my definition of professionalism has definitely changed due to the importance and stress faculty has put on it in the past two weeks.
Although I've always tried to conduct myself properly in the public eye, I am more aware of everything I do, even the things I say. Just because you never know who is watching you and you want to try to always be seen in a positive way.
One sentence out of the White Paper article that stood out to me was "students should develop and maintain a professionalism portfolio through their pharmacy career, to serve as a constant reminder of the commitment they have made to society as a professional and the progress they have made along the lifelong process of becoming one."
We all decided to be a pharmacist and we knew that we would be held at a higher standard. And professionalism is just a reminder of the career pathway that we decided to take.
I think after starting to get into things here I have kept the same perception of what professionalism means. The big thing that has changed has been how I view myself as being held to those standards now. The thought that every action we will make from now forward could have consequences is a little hard to fully grasp but it definitely makes me take a step back and realize that we are all entering into the world of pharmacy and that we are held to a higher standard due to the area we work in and the compensation that society gives us for filling that role. The main example today in class was about being at a bar in your personal life. A lot of people drink a little socially but I think that being a pharmacist and doing so out in a public place as opposed to with close friends and family at home could really change the views of our customers. The main thing I think of in this situation is this: you are out drinking (a little, a lot, any) and a customer of yours comes in who is a recovering alcoholic who you have been supporting in his efforts while filling prescriptions to help with the liver damage his/her lifestyle caused. When they patient sees you drinking it could severely alter the creditably that you once had and could make all your support and caring seem like a lie when they see that you are engaging in the same activity that eventually led them to where they were.
I can honestly say that my definition of professionalism has not changed. My previous education instilled the definition of professionalism in me; my previous career and jobs have taught me the meaning of professionalism; and my age/experience has refined the meaning of professionalism. However, ever since I got into pharmacy school I have been working extra hard to implement what I have learned.
My thought is that as pharmacist or even student pharmacist we have a responsibility to be professional. I believe we have to satisfy the code of ethics and conduct that come with the proffesion and hence conduct ourselves in such manner. when it come to our socail lives, I believe the pharmacist still has the right to have a life outside their proffession but still have limits as to what he or she does.
Thank you
My definition of professionalism as not changed since I began pharmacy school. While I was in high school I had the ideas of being professional instilled in me by doctors and nurses in the New Vision Health program that I did. I've always been very careful about how I conduct myself in public, because you never know who is going to be your next boss or person that you have to interact with. If someone sees you acting foolish in public and then find out that you are applying for or have received a position in their company, they are always going to have that first impression of you. I think that Sahej said it well when he said that the only time you don't have to abide by a professional standard is when you are at your own home.
There is definitely a line that has to be drawn between the workplace, social life, and personal life. A pharmacist will definitely be under the microscope during working hours and even in times of his or her social life. Therefore, we have to be upstanding citizens to be respected in our field. My family owns a small business in my hometown and my dad always tells me to remember who I am and what is expected of me no matter where I go or what I do because it is a reflection of our family and our business. Overall, I feel that we must maintain professionalism within our career and social life, but you can also have fun in your personal time.
My idea for professionalism has not changed since I have been here at Wingate. I believe that inside of you, you know what the right choice is. No matter how hard of a decision it is, there is always a right answer. Being a pharmacist is a great honor, but with that honor will come responsibility. Know what the right thing to do is and keep going. We will all make mistakes, just try not to make them accumulate. Take responsibility and be professional about it.
What I think of professionalism has held constant since before I came here and now. Being raised in a family owned business in a small town taught me many lessons about being professional at pretty much all times and places. Sometimes you can be more relaxed and have fun but even while doing that it is good to remember everything is better in moderation.
My idea of professionalism has not changed since I have started Pharmacy School. I do appreciate the different points of view that the Staff and Faculty have offered us on the concept of professionalism. When I became an adult I had no idea what professionalism meant, but 7 1/2 years in the Air Force and life in general has taught me what it means to be a professional. It has also taught me that nobody is perfect and that everyone makes mistakes. And of course, there is almost always someone there to witness those mistakes. I think that one part of professionalism that hasn't been touched on a lot is the ability to admit that you aren't perfect, that you have indeed made a mistake and to learn from it so that it doesn't occur in the future.
One unprofessional behavior that I have noticed a lot is people with negative attitudes that strive to spread their negativity like an infectious disease. There is a professional way to handle a negative situation or work environment, but trying to make everyone as miserable as you are is not it.
I also wanted to bring up a question about one of the debates we had in class the other day. The question was whether or not a Pharmacist had the moral and professional responsibility to talk to a patient who was drinking while being on a medication the Pharmacist knew to be dangerous to drink with. My question is, if you as a Pharmacist has done all you can in the professional and confidential setting to counsel the patient on the dangers of drinking while taking a specific medication, do you approach them at the bar or realize that they have been informed and are an adult capable of making their own decisions? If at the end of the day, they have all the information necessary to make an informed decision, what else is there to do or say?
Pharmacists have been trusted for many years because they have been professional. Patients go to the pharmacy because they know that the pharmacists have the knowledge that will help them get healthier. With knowledge come responsibility, this means that if we want to get paid for our education than we need to conduct ourselves in a manner that shows we know what we are doing. This includes in and outside of the pharmacy. If a person see you outside of the pharmacy that you told them they could not do they begin to lose respect. Which also does not stay with that person, they will tell family and friends about what they saw. This will in turn spread which will affect business and damage the view of the profession.
My definition of professionalism has not changed since I began pharmacy school. I have always known the importance in conducting myself in a professional and agreeable manner. However, I do think its hard for young adults/students coming straight from undergrad to adopt appropriate social behaviors immediately. I believe that once pharmacy students socialize with professionals regularly their behaviors will continue to evolve.
I've been meaning to say this. When you step into the professional world, you are basically obligated into being professional most of the time. It is not illegal to have a good time with friends or have a couple drink. However, let's put a situation when you are in a bar and you are extremely drunk (wasted) and a patient saw you and recognized you. Like it or not, that patient will definitely form a judgement about you. Everything has its own limit, so treat people the way you want to be treated. Also, for the scenario which you know that patient is on medication and it doesn't "mix-well" with alcohol. I'm sure if you want to talk to him, you wouldn't just yell aloud from across the bar or anything right? But let's think about this for a second, in that situation, would anyone listen to you?
Mentors, I was wondering where you personally drew the line between your personal and work lives. For instance, if you saw a patient out at a bar drinking and knew they were on a medication that they should not be drinking with would you say something or separate the two aspects of your life completely?
-Caitlyn Harris, P1
Class of 2015
This is a question for the mentors;
Was there ever a time where it was hard for you to maintain professional with customers because their attitudes or such? How did you handle the situation?
Casey Young, P1
Class of 2015
Since I have been accepted into pharmacy school, my definition of professionalism has not changed too much. However, the significance and priority that it now has in my life and my future has grown exponentially. I believe that professionalism in the workplace is a given, but as pharmacists we are scrutinized even for things done outside of the workplace. For example, a year or so ago, before I was even accepted here at WUSOP, I was living in Wilmington. There was a party next door and some people attending were outside. They kept referring to this overly intoxicated individual as "Doc'. Later, I found out that he was a practicing pharmacist in the state. To me, it was an embarrassment to the profession. I do not believe that as pharmacists we should not have a social life, but we should realize that we will always be in the public's eye as leaders in the community.
Professionalism for me started even in undergraduate. Pharmacy school should be only a reminder of how to have a professional attitude. The manor in which one behaves should be apparent in and out of the classroom and the profession. Professionalism can be shown in everyday activities to bring acknowledgment to one as a person as well as the profession and Wingate University School of Pharmacy!
There is definitely a line between your professional and personal lives. But, where you draw that line is up to you. You are responsible for the view others have of you. And, if you don't care that they see you acti unprofessional in your personal life, then that is your decision.
My definition of professionalism has not changed, properly conducting and presenting yourself at the worksite. I have worked in corporate america, and remember everyone you see at a bar, in the club, at the mall, at the movies are probably someone who works in a professional environment. You are obligated at workplace to work and do your best, but we are human, not machines and people will wind down as they need or do things as they will.
To address the issue of whether or not you should approach someone at a bar drinking when you know they shouldnt be, you are not their parents, you are their pharmacist, you can counsel at the proper place and time but if someone decides to disregard what you have already told them, that is their business.
Mentors,
Do you find that there are times that it's hard to maintain the appropriate level of professionalism?
Jen Metcalf, P1
WUSOP 2015
I think that professionalism is something that develops over time, we have a very diverse population at WUSOP and some people have had more experience with professionalism than others. My outlook on professionalism has changed somewhat since I started the program. I really noticed that many of the faculty talked about this debt we have to repay society for our profession and what we get from it. I think that idea is a great motivator for those who wish to really give back or do something larger than themselves. I also liked Leoneshia's quote saying that "students should develop and maintain a professionalism portfolio through their pharmacy career, to serve as a constant reminder of the commitment they have made to society as a professional and the progress they have made along the lifelong process of becoming one." I think professionalism is something that we should all strive to maintain but also build upon. Technology and medicine change quickly and there may come a time when we have to adjust our ideas about professionalism to fit into these new changes.
Mentors,
With the advent of social media, do you feel that it has become more important to maintain a high level of professionalism at all times?
Mandy Del Sesto, P1
Class of 2015
Mentors,
My uncle is a pharmacist and I know he does not like to go out to dinner or shop much in his town because he constantly has people he treats coming up to him asking him questions about their specific health problems. As an ideal professional I'm sure it would be optimal to help every single person who came to you. Have any of you worked in a small town pharmacy where this is an issue, and also how did you handle this scenario?
Thanks
Melanie Linardi
P1 Class
My definition of professionalism has not changed since being accepted and beginning pharmacy school. The ACCP paper lists being punctual, acting courteously, respect, accountability, empathy, and compassion as aspects of professionalism. These characteristics are things my parents have instilled in me since I was young. Also, having worked in a pharmacy before getting into pharmacy school, I already knew the importance of acting in a professional manner. As to the topic of going out and drinking, I think professionals are human beings, and it is socially acceptable to go out to dinner and have a drink if you have someone to drive you home. Touching on what Sahej said: if you plan on having a really good night, make sure you do it at your own, or at a friend’s home, and not in the public eye.
Hi Mentors! This may have already been asked, but can you elaborate on this "line of professionalism" and your definition of where it lies for you personally? Or if it even exists? My biggest concern with stating there is no line; and professionalism is a 24 hour requirement is that we are all human. We're going to make mistakes and slip ups even though we strive to do our very best. Has there ever been a time where it was hard for you to maintain a professional attitude (inside or outside the workplace)?
I don’t think that my definition of professionalism has changed since I have entered pharmacy school. I have worked in a pharmacy for many years I have always had a sense of what being a professional is. However, no that I am working toward becoming a pharmacist I now have to hold myself up to those high standards. I have seen many examples of unprofessional behavior throughout my working years. I used to work with a lady who pretty much just stood around and did nothing but complain all day and she rarely helped customers around the store. It was very annoying and it showed me how important it was to always act professionally. There was a pharmacist in my community that always acted extremely professionally. He was always on top of the work load that came through his store. Customers rarely had to wait longer than 5 minutes and he was always polite and went out of his way to help everyone that came into his store. He is the type of pharmacist that I hope that I can be one day. I think that there should be a line of some sort between your personal life and the professional image. I think that it is ok for a pharmacist to go out and have a little fun with their friends. Having a drink or two in public is not a big deal, however getting arrested or getting extremely trashed in public is a different matter.
My views on professionalism have not necessarily changed, but have been broadened. Listening to everyone speak about it and reading these articles gives me a more applicable view on the subject. Fortunately, I grew up seeing great examples of professionalism and great examples of the opposite of professionalism, that really displayed the difference in what it means to be professional, and the difference that it makes to be professional.
I would like to touch on the subject of "pride of the profession." This is something many people do not take into account when thinking about professionalism. I have too often witnessed professionals talking poorly about their jobs/professions, not realizing the effect it has on the profession itself.
"What we as pharmacists believe our profession to be, determines what it is." This is a very true statement, and if we as pharmacists talk badly or look down upon our profession, then so will everyone else!
Professionalism is a term that has been planted in me by my parents since I was a teenager, in a very general term. It is the way you present yourself that will create an image in somebody's mind. As being a pharmacist or even student pharmacy, we have a lot of responsibility to our community and at the same time those people see our action and make their own judgment from there. So I wouldn't say that my views have changed, however i feel like I've more responsibilities now than before.
I believe there is a line, but the line may be different from one situation to the next. A small town pharmacist would go to a bar with the understanding that running into one of his or her patients is almost inevitable, while a pharmacist in New York may have little worry as to whom they'll run into when they go out for a night on the town. I believe the perception one may have is partly generational as well. A person in their twenties will almost certainly view a pharmacist drinking differently than someone in their sixties or seventies. Even still, there is no way of telling which patient a pharmacist may run into, so displaying professionalism while in public, even off the clock, is always the best option.
I can definitely say that my definition of professionalism has changed since being accepted into pharmacy school. As a undergraduate student, professionalism is not something I practiced everyday. I have always treated others with respect and honored their thoughts and opinions, but professionalism is not just the way you act, but also the way you present yourself. As an undergraduate student, I did not dress like a professional when going to class or act like one on the weekends. I have matured a lot over the past year and have really learned that professionalism is something that is essential for my future career. I have learned that I no longer can act like an immature college kid, but I now need to start portraying myself the way I want others to see me as I start my career. I now realize that every decision I make from here on will affect my career as a pharmacist.
-Kasey Jackson, P1
Class of 2015
My opinion on “professionalism” has not changed since I entered pharmacy school; however, I will admit that the cross over from being an undergraduate to being a student pharmacist has made me step back and evaluate my actions more closely. I think at this point in our lives, we need to accept responsibility and learn to act like mature adults. Choosing to be a part of the medical field is something that requires intelligence, maturity, and the ability to know what is appropriate and what is not. I fully believe pharmacists, along with any other profession that deems respect from the community; teachers, principals, doctors, lawyers, police officers…etc, have to be wise about their decisions and use common sense. One thing we failed to bring up was social networking. When it comes to networks such as Facebook, Twitter, e-mail and even use of cell phones, I think some people completely forget about professionalism. People need to remember that once something is out on the internet or sent via text or e-mail, it could ultimately end up in anyone’s hands. In the long run, life is a choice. As student pharmacists, now is the time to learn that there is a time and place for everything, but to act wisely in our decisions. Mentors, any comments?
Ashley Sobol, P1
WUSOP 2015
My definition of professionalism has not changed since beginning pharmacy school. With that said however, I have become more aware of how important professionalism is, especially in the pharmaceutical field. I would like to hear from the mentors as to whether or not their definition has changed any from starting college, to beginning pharmacy school, to even now as a career pharmacist?
A point to which I would like to make note of is the standard to which pharmacists are held to. As a pharmacist I can imagine to stress one must go through in any given day. I am interested in any times that you felt maybe you almost lost your cool at which point you may have ruined your professional manner.
Thanks,
Kyle Crisco, P1
Class of 2015
My definition of professionalism hasn’t changed after coming to pharmacy school. I think that professionalism should come with certain careers and professions. People that are looked up to in the community or even put in a spotlight on a national level should try to always keep a professional appearance and attitude. If you choose to live your life doing something that requires professionalism either all the time or most of the time then you should realize that and make sure that is something that you are truly willing to do. Now if people in the community catch a pharmacist out at a bar hanging out with friends and having drinks it is up to the individuals to decide whether they would still want to see that person for some type of medical advice. No grown person should be going to bars and getting completely trashed but I see nothing wrong with any type of professional having a good time with friends. The people in the community have to realize that everybody is human and has a right to have some fun or do things that they want to do in their free time. People have to think about the situation and not just act because the pharmacist could have the next couple days off so it’s not like they are going out drinking till 2:00 in the morning and then going to work at 7:00 the same day. I think that each case is different and it is the right of individuals in the community to make their own decisions of whether they still would want to get help from that pharmacist.
Do any mentors out there have a story where you would consider yourself not doing anything wrong but it still upset one of your patients to the point where they confronted you about it? If so, how was the situation handled?
Nathan Batchelder, P1
Class of 2015
My definition of professionalism has changed slightly since I began Pharmacy school. I’ve always known that being professional is very important, but it was not until the week of orientation that I realized just how important professionalism is in this career. Since we have been at Wingate, not only has the staff emphasized the importance of being professional at all times, but the atmosphere and the criteria of the entire Pharmacy program has reinforced the importance of a professional attitude. My current viewpoint of professionalism is that if someone is not able to uphold the standards of being professional, they should not choose a career that requires to be professional most, if not, at all times. However, I realize that we are all human and that no matter what you do, you will always be judged by someone even if you don’t believe what you are doing is wrong. I do not feel as if that should stop someone from being who they are. As long as you are being professional and conducting yourself appropriately while at work and not allowing your outside activities affect your ability to be an efficient and effective pharmacist, it is still okay to have fun outside of work, as long as you are not putting yourself or anyone else in harm in any way by jeopardizing their health, safety or their credibility while in a professional setting.
Coming from a military background, I didn't think my definition of professionalism would changesince professional development was very important throughout my career. I think the one thing that changed for me this week, is that I found a new emphasis on self improvement. I liked how the white paper emphasized that, as a professional, we need to be active learners, even after we graduate.
I was wondering what type of continuing education the mentors have had.
Greg Thompson, P1 student
There is a line between personal and professional life if there are no patients around..but seriously one should always act professionally and treat people with respect. This is especially important as a pharmacist because we deal with patients and our outward professionalism will determine if the patient trusts us or not. I have not personally seen any unprofessional pharmacists but I would like to hear some of those stories from the mentors.
In the past week, we have heard the word "professionalism" about 1000 times. Wingate wants all graduates to have a good understanding of what it means to dress and behave in a professional manner. I definitely think that every choice has its consequences. Even when you're not in your white coat at the local pharmacy, you are still being observed by community members. It is important to realize that people will criticize you if you behave in an unprofessional manner. It could cause you to lose a customer, so in the long run I think it is most important to just think before you act. I always catch myself saying "What would my grandma say if she saw me doing this?" If she wouldn't be happy, then it means I probably shouldn't get myself involved!
During the past two weeks of pharmacy school, my vision of professionalism has changed slightly. I realize more how important it is to be responsible for your actions and make the best decisions possible. It has made me more aware of what I do and who I do it with. I've always known how important it was to conduct your self in a professional manner but I now realize the necessary actions one must act upon to keep a positive image. I've worked with several younger employees who do not conduct themselves in a professional manner and its made me more determined to keep a good reputation.
Sage Reddy
P1, Class 2015
My idea of professionalism has changed slightly since my acceptance into Pharmacy School. However, the hallmarks of a professional are limtied to just pharmacists in my opinion. They are exhibited in every profession where you providing a service of some sort. Perhaps, mentors have a different take.
Parth Thakkar P1
Class of 2015
Since beginning pharmacy school, my views on professionalism haven’t really changed. I guess growing up as the son of a college professor instilled in me how to be professional. I cannot begin to count the number of times that I have been out in public with my dad and he has been approached by people he had taught in the past or was currently teaching. He was looked upon as being a leader in the community and someone who could be trusted. Just think how it would have looked if he was drunk or acting like a complete idiot. It was always important for him to portray himself at all times in a professional manner because he did not know who was around. The same thing applies to all of us now that we are on our way to becoming pharmacists. I’m not saying don’t have a good time but you have to draw the line somewhere and that line will be different for everyone. As for the situation in which you see someone doing something there are not supposed to do, I think the only thing to do is to let them continue to do so. You will not be able to monitor every patient you have and at the end of the day it is that individual’s decision. As long as you have given the patient all of the pertinent information, then it is their decision what to do with it.
Jeff Davis
P1, Class of 2015
Since my acceptance into the program here at Wingate, my opinion of professionalism hasn't changed. I have no trouble defining what professionalism means to me and I try and demonstrate this in everything I do. To me, a loose definition of professionalism would be adherence to and exemplary behavior pertaining to a moral code. By attempting to live by a moral standard I have been able to demonstrate a general behavior shaped around smart decisions and self control. Someone attempting to conduct themselves based on a set of generally positive morals shouldn't experience many situations where their professionalism is called into question. Superiors and peers alike respond well to good behavior. Patients who can recognize a pharmacist as behaving on moral grounds should not find fault in that professional in nearly any case, and with proper behavior the idea of an intoxicated, wild or otherwise shameful acting pharmacist out in a public setting shouldn't exist. There are some specifics to professional behavior, such as patient confidentiality, that need to be upheld but generally when someone knows what is good for them and demonstrates it, they are modeling professionalism.
My definition of professionalism has not changed. I never really put much thought into how I would be expected to act as a professional and even as a pharmacy student. In that realm, my view has changed quite a bit. I realize more than before that my actions are being held to a higher standard than when I was an undergraduate student, and that they will continue to be held to a higher standard throughout my career.
As a "preacher's kid", my personal life has always been held to a higher standard. Everyone in my community knew who my father was and expected of me than what they expected of my peers. Because of how I had been raised and taught to act, more was expected of me. In the same way, I am being taught to abide by certain ethical standards and to serve my community with compassion, trustworthiness, self-accountability, pride, and leadership. Those attributes are meant to be practiced not only at work, but also in my everyday interactions with others. The career of a pharmacist is a career of service and commitment to the clients. My professional manner is going to be expected of me whether I am at work or around town in a public setting and I plan to carry myself in a way that can be considered worthy of trust and positive leadership by everyone with whom I come into contact.
I have had an understanding of what it takes to behave professionally for some time now, but did not really strive to act accordingly until being accepted into pharmacy school. I have avoided frequent overt acts of stupidity for years (sorry 16 year old me), but upon being accepted into Wingate SOP, I realized that it was time to start exhibiting professional behavior practically all the time. I say 'practically' because I still feel that it is fine to cut loose when you are with close friends in a private setting; ie. someones home and not a bar or another public venue. I'm also not saying to avoid places such as bars all together, but if you find yourself there, the only difference in your image and behavior should be a drink in your hand--not crazy, drunken antics.
I feel like the notion I have to start acting more professionally will only grow as time goes on. Do any of the mentors feel that there was a significant change in understanding and/or expectations when transitioning from a student to an employed pharmacist?
Ryan Neal, P1
Class of 2015
I'll break radio silence for the mentors. It's good to see that many of you have seen good (and bad) examples of professionalism in your pre-pharmacy lives. From a lot of the students posts, it looks like many of you are thinking community practice in terms of your perception of what being "professional" means - do keep in mind that pharmacists practice in many settings and that the concept of professionalism carries across the board.
As a community pharmacist, I teach my students the difference between "professionalism" and "customer service." Customer service isn't something you'll learn in pharmacy school, but it's what creates your patients' PERCEPTION of you. Professionalism is how you PRESENT yourself as a healthcare provider. Most of the time, the two go hand in hand - but it's possible to have one without the other...
I had a patient in the pharmacy the other day who was aggravated that the nurses at her primary care doctor's office weren't returning her phone calls. She couldn't believe the poor level of customer service she had received. I asked her if they had resolved her healthcare issues and she said "Oh absolutely! I started drug XYZ and it's working great and really doing what I needed! And my doctor is awesome and I wouldn't go anywhere else." To which I said... none of us go to school to learn customer service skills. Was this doctor's office 'professional'? According to the definition, probably - patient-centered, convenantal relationship, mutual respect. Now, had they wowed her with their customer service and called her right back, but not had a solution for her problem, no ideas for her care, and spoke to her with authority instead of compassion, how might she have reacted?
I also thought of a few "Profesh vs Unprofesh" scenarios that I think highlight the difference between a pharmacist 'having a life' and a pharmacist crossing the line...
* Profesh: drinks with friends at happy hour to talk shop
* Unprofesh: showing up to work in the morning hung over
* Profesh: representing your profession through involvement in local, state, and national organizations
* Unprofesh: speaking ill of the pharmacists at the competitor next door to make yourself look good
* Profesh: completing required CE via live or paper lessons
* Unprofesh: copying answers from a CE completed by another pharmacist to get your required hours
I hope that helps answer some of the questions asked on this post. Good luck, WUSOPers!
____________________________
Erica Harms, Pharm.D., R.Ph.
Executive Pharmacist | Target Pharmacy
Charlotte, NC
Erica.Harms@target.com
I don't think that my idea of professionalism has changed since entering Wingate School of Pharmacy, but I have begun to reflect more on what it means to be professional and how I will focus on this in my career. In reference to the line between work life and personal life, I believe it is always important to conduct yourself in a mature way when you are out in public, no matter what your profession. This says more about you as a person rather than your choice to become a pharmacist. However, with that being said I don't think that pharmacists should be restricted from having freedom in their personal lives, they should just be mindful. After all, if you are out in a bar somewhere and are out of control you could see a number of people that would affect your credibility/reputation such as professors, coworkers, etc. This is more of a moral issue than one dealing with the profession of pharmacy.
Barbara Santevecchi,P1
My definition of professionalism has not changed since I have started pharmacy school. After working with in the pharmacy for some time I have learned the reasons and beliefs behind being a professional within a pharmacy and outside of a pharmacy setting. Professionalism instills trust and respect, which we must build with patients in order to help patients. I do recall several situations where I have witnessed highly unprofessional behavior from pharmacists. These pharmacists would sit in a back corner away from the patient's view and would shout orders to their technicians. They would try to avoid patient interaction as much as they could. However, I have worked with several highly professional pharmacists that are charismatic and empathetic. Patients always came back looking for them and lying an enormous amount of trust upon them.
-Trang Vo
I do not think that my idea of professionalism has changed. What has changed is the fact that now we, as student pharmacist, need to start conducting ourselves as such. Like many faculty members have pointed out, you never know who is watching. So we all need to keep that in mind. It was also pointed out that we need to be pleasant and friendly because we never know who our boss could be one day. So professionalism is really important and we are future pharmacist need to keep that in mind and know where to draw the line because I know I would like credibility and respect from my patients.
Jessica Farris, P1
Class of 2015
The following comment comes from Chris Drum, PharmD, a pharmacist for CVS:
My view of professionalism has not changed since entering pharmacy school. Wingate does a great job of stressing the importance of being a professional in every sense of the word. Social media is huge in today's world. I think as students this is something you really need to think about when posting comments, pictures, etc. online. These sites are often searched by future employers and can really affect the way you are viewed. Before posting something online think about how that post would alter your credibility with a patient seeking your advice.
I feel that there is always going to be a time where you have to draw a line between what is wrong and what is right. Most of the time, if you use your best judgment, professionalism can be shown by the smallest of actions and from the words that you may say to someone you may think might not listen to you. As a professional pharmacist, you have to always watch what you do, wear professional attire, respect others and the list goes on. I am not saying that you have to be prefect because that is impossible, but you are held at a higher standard when compared to others. It is part of the job criteria and the field that we are entering.
A few sections stood out to me in the white papers. First, the definition of professional included demonstrating "creativity and innovation". While many would agree that these are favorable qualities, I never have associated them with professionalism until this point.
The second white paper pointed out the importance of role models to a student's understanding of professionalism. Working in a hospital where I would see 20+ pharmacists in a day with varying personalities and styles (on both ends of the professionalism spectrum), I really formed a solid understanding of what kind of pharmacist I wanted to be in the future; role models are crucial sources for us!
No matter what profession we are going into, whether it be pharmacy or plumbing or sales, it is up to each individual to conduct themselves honorably. Professionalism is something you hope every person brings into their career, regardless of the social status that accompanies their work.
Kim Tooker, P1
Class of 2015
I learned from a very young age that people are always watching you and remembering your actions. The first week in orientation and during class I really took it in and realised that now that I am part of higher education and a health care profession, the cameras are never off, so to speak. That being said, I still think that someone should be able to go out and have a drink without being harassed or ridiculed.
Sarah Paiement brought up a good point. "You never know who is going to be your next boss or person that you have to interact with." I think sometimes pharmacy students (or pharmacists) forget this. You're going to spend a lot of time with your classmates, and you will most likely form strong friendships with several of them as well. It may slip your mind, at times, that how you conduct yourselves around each other now may affect you in the future. Your classmate may be your boss or your coworker in the future. You might not want to be remembered as the one who always partied too hard, was always late for class, or never pulled their weight on a project.
I also like how Courtney Black touched on attitudes. As a student and pharmacist I have witnessed how negativity can be unprofessional. It seems sometimes when people are frustrated they will complain about anything - the customers, their employer, their coworkers, and of course all of this behind the person's back. There is no resolution, and no one gets to defend themselves. This happens way too often, and while this is not professional, having a private conversation about an issue can be. One of the most common unprofessional things I've seen or at times been a part of (I'll be honest) as a student and a pharmacist is gossip. We all like to know what is going on, but we should all have better things to do than talk about rumors we've heard that may or may not be true.
Professionalism is more than just how you interact with patients and doctors. How you act with fellow students, pharmacists, and technicians matters as well.
My idea of professionalism has not really changed much since I have started pharmacy school. I have always felt that a pharmacist must be professional at all times. My dad is a gastroenterologist and he is always seeing his patients outside of when he is working. If he did not act in a professional manner at all times, then he would most likely offend one of his patients and lose their business. That is the reason that my view of professionalism has not changed because I have always thought that a doctor or pharmacist must always act professional no matter where they are.
I have lived in a lot of small towns, and I think being professional even outside of work is important even when you aren't working in healthcare. Being responsible for others welfare just increases your responsibility to behave well. I don't think this means you can't go out and have a good time - but it does mean you can't be the one on top of the bar downing shots. Especially today with the prevalence of social media, you have to expect that outrageous behavior is going to show up on the internet - making it hard to get a job, be taken seriously, and maintain patients.
Leslie Firth
When I interviewed at Samford University School of Pharmacy, they asked me what I thought it meant to be a professional. I answered that a professional is someone who has received an ample amount of education in their field of study and can truly call themselves a professional, with a degree to back up their claim. However, now that I have spent time at Wingate and have had more time to engage myself on the topic of professionalism , I realized that everyone is a professional in what they do. You can be a professional pharmacist; you can also be a professional janitor. If you conduct how you work in a professional and caring way, then in my eyes, you are a professional.
My definition of professionalism has not changed since I've been in Pharmacy School. I have tried to maintain a stature of professionalism since my sophomore year in college, both inside and outside of school. It is imperative to represent yourself as a hardworking, empathetic, caring and understanding individual that is not afraid of stepping up to the plate and being a strong leader when needed. This is what being a professional pharmacist means to me. I want to be able to give back to my community, wherever I decide to live in years to come, and I want to be able to help as many people of that community, as possible. After all, Pharmacy is always alternating with Nursing as the most trusted profession in America, and it is our job to make sure it stays number one.
As a student pharmacist, the word professionalism still carries the same meaning to me, it has just become more applicable in my everyday life. Already I can see the importance of professionalism in my classroom and IPPE experience where I am responsible for communicating with preceptors, professors and other students. At my IPPE site, I have to act as a professional, defined in the white paper document as having pride in my profession, being service oriented, showing leadership abilities and being accountable for my work. I have never experienced this first hand as much as I do when I put on my white coat and go to my IPPE site.
I think there is a line but it can be hard to define exactly where it is. You have to remember that you are a professional and you need to keep yourself in check but people are going to judge you no matter what, especially when you are considered a professional. You have to have fun sometimes. If you are uptight all the time then life will get really boring really quick.
I think my definition of Professionalism has not changed after entering pharmacy school. The things that changed is the background and the scenario of how i look at things now. I think you could not suddenly start acting professional or become professional after wearing a white coat. The definition of professionalism remains the same whether you are in undergrad or in Pharmacy school. Yes being a pharmacist ,you surely have lot of responsibilities than before. So if you were professional before, you are professional right now and viceversa. And same is with the society, if you are a trustworthy, respectable and professional you don't have to try act professional.
The idea of what professionalism should be could vary from person to person. Therefore, I believe professionalism should not be a guideline or a standard model that a person has to follow, but determined by the appropriateness of the situation. The way you act, dress or talk should differ from when you are at work and from where you are at the mall. Just so long as you are acting in an appropriate manner with regards to the people around you. So therefore there is a line that be crossed when it comes to professionalism in your private and public life.
As for me I used to think professionalism is dressing up and speaking proper English. Now I know that professionalism is how you act in your everyday life.
I think that there is a line between maintaining professionalism in your profession and personal life although there are circumstances that may dictate otherwise. In a work environment there is no excuse not to maintain this behavior and I think many of us do not have a problem with that. The issue arises when we consider what we can and cannot do outside of that environment. In my opinion, and as many have mentioned, we live in a society where people will judge- even if they do not know you. Many students say that if your patient walks in a nightclub and sees that you are behaving unprofessionally, they may reconsider trusting you.But we ask ourselves when do we get time for ourselves. I believe that as people mature, their attitudes mature with them. Yes, there may be events where we find ourselves in the wrong spot but those become rare. So, although we are maintaining our self respect, we still want to have some fun and that is where take into account that if we meet anybody, it would an informal meeting. So absolutely, we should remain in our boundaries, be aware of the people around us but at that same time we do not pretend that we are in our work stations.
I have grown up with lessons of self-respect and self-esteem throughout my childhood. My elders always allowed me to do anything I wanted as long respect and esteem was never questioned in the society or community. I have learned to enjoy myself without breaking my image in front of others and also being aware of the people around me. Professionalism is the same idea to me- maintaining respect for yourself and for others as well.
The biggest difference that I have noticed in my perception of professionalism since I have begun my studies as a pharmacy student is how I act off campus at my IPPE site. This may be due to the fact that I am aware of the fact that I am being graded on my performance but I am much more conscious of how I act both with my preceptor and my customers. Prior to coming to Wingate I worked for Harris Teeter pharmacy for 3 years and during these 3 years I really got to know my coworkers. However, I realize now that I may have gotten too comfortable with my coworkers and acted a bit unprofessionally in the sense that sometimes I told inappropriate stories or jokes while working. Now I am very focused on getting to know and gain a friendship with my preceptor and new coworkers but to keep myself from getting carried away with some of the things I say while on site. I think it is okay to laugh and enjoy the company of your coworkers but it is important to also maintain a professional attitude at all times. Therefore, a goal I have set for myself during my IPPE rotation is to find that balance between professional and unprofessional because there is a line and if it is crossed the individual could lose respect and even a job.
Professionalism has many applications. Of course how one conducts oneself, dresses, speaks etc... to build the confidence of others in one's abilities and judgement. But for me, after many years practicing pharmacy, the definition that rises to the top is "judgement". Too often I have seen pharmacists hide behind rules/laws etc... as if all decisions are black and white. Of course, if that is so, then we serve little purpose beyond what a vending machine might accomplish. Judgement, the ability to navigate the gray areas in our industry, and further the willingness and skill to do so, is the finest example of professionalism. The skill, knowledge, and confidence to make decisions is paramount, and an unwillingness to embrace such an approach is less than professional.
Many of the comments I have read seem to focus on behavior outside of formal practice. For me, how one conducts oneself need not be guided by one's occupation. Proper conduct is just that, and I don't expect less from others simply because they are not "professionals". Again, I suppose it comes down to judgement. If one uses poor judgement (alcohol/drug abuse etc...) in their private lives, it probably speaks to their judgement at least on some level in their professional lives.
Post a Comment