Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Professional Organizations

Linked below is a list of professional organizations in pharmacy that are available to us as students and pharmacists. These are the major organizations that we have here at WUSOP. There are also more specific organizations that target certain disease states or patient groups (NLA, IDSA, etc.) I want you all to start thinking about which organizations might appeal to your interests as you look over their sites:

NCAP

ACCP

APhA

SNPhA

ASHP

CPFI


Students, what are some of the benefits available to you through joining these organizations?

Mentors, what benefits are available to pharmacists after graduation?

56 comments:

Christine B said...

Get involved! Any organziation is a powerful tool for networking and makeing life long resources. The more people you meet, the more you will understand the full scope of pharmacy and the millions of positions avaialable to you. Pharmacy is a small world of professionals all things considered so the more you meet, the larger your network will be. By getting invovled in these organizations you are also able to stay up to date on the many things our boards and representatives are lobbying for our profession. Upon graduation many also help you with finding supplemental liability coverage or locating jobs in your area.

Gillian Gow said...

Especially when first qualified, I found joining certain clinical associations of great benefit. This wa snot usually due to material or information propagated by the actual association, but by using them as means of meeting with other pharmacists and sharing best practice and areas of interest. i find this still to be a great way to learn and extend ones own knowledge. G Gow

Anonymous said...

I think that I will be joining SNpha. I think joining a student org like this would be a great chance for me to give back to the community. I remember when I was young my family received a lot of help from really generous people when we were in need. I am in debted to my community and I want to do all I can to give back.

Mary Black P1 said...

I believe on top of the added benefit of opportunities to serve the community through healthcare related venues, most organizations offer scholarships and study guides and reviews for major tests like NAPLEX and law. For me personally, I am intrigued by all of the organizations however I am looking at joining two or three so I can devote my time to versus having 10 organizations on my CV.

Anonymous said...

I think that joining an organization can be a great way to develop professional relationships between you and your peers. It can be a great networking opportunity for us as pharmacists which can lead to future opportunities in employment and advancement of employment. By creating these connections you give yourself more chances to be recognized in your field which can give you an edge over job competitors. It also will allow us as students to practice having professional relationship so that when we enter the workforce and have a better idea of how to engage in professional communications.

Nick Vlahos
P1 Hendersonville

Kim said...

Mentors: This topic is very relevant to us this week as we are joining and starting our involvement in these organizations. Is any organization better to join than another? I'm not sure where life is going to take me after graduation so I'm looking for a well-respected national organization. So far I am under the impression that it doesn't really matter what group, as long as we are very involved...is this true? Thank you for your insight!

Kim Tooker
P1, Class of 2015

Edom Abebe said...

I think it is very important to be a member of any of the organizations. one thing we have to make sure is that being a member is not enough. We've to be involved within that organization which will help us to know more people as well as opens door for many things. It also looks good on our CV as well because it shows your time management skills and responsibilities.

Edom Abebe (P1)
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
WUSOP
2015

Edom Abebe said...

Question for mentors:

Can anyone tell me how this helped you after school? Is anyone still a member of any organization?

Edom Abebe (P1)
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
WUSOP
2015

A.Duronio PharmD BCPS said...

Professional organizations are a great way to network, keep up with a variety of pharmacotherapy topics, and learn about new drugs. It is sometimes challenging to keep abreast with new drugs, new studies, etc. Professional organizations aid in this through professional meetings, prn groups, newsletters, etc.

Chris deHoll, PharmD, Authorized Nuclear Pharmacist said...

As a nuclear pharmacist, I feel that APhA has offered the most opportunity to my profession. APhA has a nuclear pharmacy section that has its own elections for office and steering committees to address concerns dealing with the best use of radiopharmaceuticals. They even have live CEs on nuclear pharmacy at their annual meetings. This is impressive, especially since we deal with under representation due to our small number. Nuclear pharmacists make up about 0.2% of the U.S. pharmacist population.

Chris deHoll, PharmD
Authorized Nuclear Pharmacist
Staff Pharmacist II
Cardinal Health Nuclear Pharmacy Services
55A Shiloh Road
Asheville, NC 28704
(828) 277-6600 office
(828) 277-6680 fax
(828) 505-6019 cell

wrhaltom said...

The following comment comes from Dr. Lori Edwards, PharmD., CPP, a consultant pharmacist for Neil Medical Group in the Greensboro area:

I'd like to add ASCP which for me has been an invaluable resource for anyone interested in long term care or geriatrics. Their website is the one I use the most when it comes to geriatrics/regulations.

Patrick Netherland said...

I think joining student organizations is a great way to give back to the community as well as meet new people. I believe I will also benefit from many of the resources the groups make available. For my first year I have joined 5 student organizations. I do not think I have spread my self thin--I just want to see what all is available so that I have many of views and information on the pharmacy profession.

Anonymous said...

I have been told by many pharmacists that in order to help secure yourself a job as a practicing pharmacist, it is not what you know; it is who you know. I feel that by joining a pharmaceutical organization you not only gain knowledge about your profession, but you also have a chance to make ties with fellow members that may one day be recommending you or hiring you for your future job.

Holly Stallings said...

I believe being involved in a professional organization is extremely beneficial. Any of the organizations would be great to join. I joined a couple organizations that are both very active and involved in the community. If you become a member I think it is important to be active within the organization. Some benefits of joining any of the organizations include the ability to meet others, improvement of professional development, and providing service to the community.

Holly Stallings
P1, Class of 2015

Barbara Santevecchi said...

I think it is important to become a part of pharmacy organizations and serve an active role in the pharmacy profession. In addition, it is a great way to meet and network with other pharmacists. I have chosen to join NCAP this week and am excited to begin working with the organization, especially when it comes to making political changes and playing a part in laws passed by government. As student pharmacists, we need to do all we can to advance our profession and make sure we continue to grow. Especially after learning about the history of pharmacy, we need to ensure that our profession does not become retroactive but rather progresses in a positive way.

Barbara Santevecchi, P1

Rathin Vyas said...

Being a minority I was enthusiastic when i heard about SNpha and am planing to attend many events held. This also is would be an ideal way to network and meet other future pharmacist. I guess it would look nice on your CV also, but it should not be the only reason to join one. Joining two to three organizations sounds like a manageable situation.

Melinda Travis R.Ph. said...

I do think it is very important to be part of these associations. I value NCAP the most personally, because they seem to be more accessible than some of the national groups. Also, we have a local group, Catawba Valley Society of Pharmacists, which I really get the most out of. We meet 9 times a year for CE, and have anywhere from 60-120 local (within a 4-5 county area) pharmacists. Most of us are community retail pharmacists, from independent and chain backgrounds. We have several long-term care and hospital pharmacists who regularly attend the meetings also. I cannot tell you how valuable it is to have mentors and colleagues in your local area to support you. Especially for new graduates,when you have a question or a problem, it is invaluable to be able to call upon other pharmacists who have been in the trenches, and have probably experienced the issue you are having before. If you are in a situation where you are the only pharmacist, sometimes you feel like it would be nice to have some backup if you have a challenging issue. We discuss pending legislation, share employment opportunities, and learn about new treatment regimens. I really appreciate being able to call on these colleagues when I have a problem I can't solve on my own!

Coleman Inman said...

By joining any of these groups or organizations you stand a better chance of building a bond with your peers. Whether that leads to a future job opportunity or someone to study with all are positive effects received from joining. I would just make sure that you have the time to put in to each one that you join.

Kushal Khimji said...

I think it is very important to be a part of the clubs in order to communicate with the community. It also gives students a chance to come together and meet experienced pharmacists as well as elder students. As a new student, I would love to connect with a P2 r P3 to learn more about their experience and opinion on practicing pharmacy in the community. These clubs also make us aware of what is going on the field around the state or country. So, in order to learn more than academics, clubs help to understand pharmacy in the real world.
I also believe that it is not just a matter of joining a club, but being active is of utmost importance. If we cannot be active members then there is no benefit to our education or to the community either.

Desiree Gaines said...

I feel like joining an organization is important. Even if you only join 1 or 2, it allows us as students to give back to the community. Also, it's a great way to get experience, meet new people, and network. I decided to only join 1 organization this year so that I can focus on giving a lot of my extra time to that 1 organization. So far, snpha seems like a great choice for me in that they already have so many outreach activites planned for the next few months. I am sure that I will stay busy and I can't wait to get started!

Anonymous said...

One of the organizations I joined is APhA. I like that is is a national-level organization. It will provide opportunities to network with other students around the country. I also like the level of community involvement they have planned for the year. That is one thing I found great about all of the organizations available to us. They all seem to be very active in the community. I was wondering what the mentors' perspectives are on staying active in professional organizations while juggling job and family.

Greg Thompson - P1, Class of 2015

Chris deHoll, PharmD, Nuclear Pharmacist said...

I do want to applaud the pharmacy students on one very important attribute that reveals itself throughout these comments. Idealism. Its obvious you students have it in buckets and barrels. And this is a great thing for us that are in practice. We can become a little jaded after working a bit, not really thinking of the ways we want to advance pharmacy in our own practice. That's why it helps me to have students doing their rotations here, because I benefit personally. I am about to take the Board Certification for Nuclear Pharmacy (BCNP) mostly so I can be a better preceptor. All thanks to students.

Chris deHoll, PharmD, ANP
Cardinal Health Nuclear Pharmacy Services
Asheville, NC

Bess Urie said...

I agree with everyone who is talking about using these organizations for networking. Not only are you joining them and given many opportunities to help give back in the community, you also meet people along the way that could be your future employer. In this world that is very important because it's not always what you know, but who you know. I plan on joining 3 organizations so I can be involved in each of them and not just join a bunch because it will look good on my CV. I've also got a question for the mentors. Do most of these organizations carry on after graduation? If so, do they offer any type of CE to their members?

Bess Urie, P1

Kyle Crisco said...

Membership in any of these clubs will create plenty of opportunities to fellowship with other pharmacy students as well as professors. As Phillip mentioned, these clubs are very active in the community and involvement guarantees a chance to give back, which is something that should be very important to all of us. Other organizations such as ACCP are important for those interested in residency opportunities. I plan on joining about three or four clubs this year, and the amount of involvement I have in each will depend on what I decide to do my second and third year.
For mentors, I am interested in which organizations you were a part of and how they helped you out? Which do you wish you would have joined, if any, and why?

Thanks,
Kyle Crisco, P1
Class of 2015

Ashley Harris said...

I am joining SNPhA because I really like their events! They are having a Power-to-end-stroke even where people will be asked to come be active at a Zumba class. Also, there is a chance to inform people about Chronic Kidney Disease. Joining the club is all about making new friends and helping the community members. In addition to reaching out, it just makes you a more well-rounded person because you are becoming more actively involved and are being informed about disease states. Often times this kind of knowledge cannot be taught in the classroom setting.

Nathan Batchelder said...

Joining any of these organizations helps you find a group of people that are interested in the same things you are in the field of pharmacy. They all give you a connection to fellow pharmacists and students that can help individuals through their journey of becoming the pharmacist they want to be. I think that we can get a lot out of any of these groups as long as we get involved. Everybody should realize that just being apart of any of these organizations will help you with professional relationships in your future career, but actually getting involved in them can create some great experiences and help out even more.

Nathan Batchelder
P1 Class of 2015

Jennifer Adjei said...

Being part of an organization in general is important. you become a part of an organized body which in terms of pharmacy organizations, gives that platform to learn from other pharmacy students who have been where you are and also learn something from the faculty too. It might not even necessarily pharmacy related.
Also, some of the organizations give an opportunity to do many things to benefit the society which one might not necessarilty do individually. All in all, it helps you to grow as a person and also in your profession as well.
Thanks
Jennifer Adjei P1

Kasey Jackson said...

I think joining at least one organization is a good way to get involved within the pharmacy program and your community. I feel it will help you in the future and is a great networking opportunity. I have decided joining NCAP because it is based out of North Carolina and I want to practice in North Carolina one day. I am really interested in their projects and how they get involved with the community.

Kasey Jackson
Class of 2015

Andrew Helms said...

Professional organizations are ideal for use in a CV or other type of resume. This should not be the only purpose for joining these organizations. The number of organizations one is enrolled in is not as important as how one is involved with a particular one. These organizations are a good tool to get involved now with other students throughout pharmacy, and continue into our future career as Pharmacists.
Andrew Helms

Sonja Jacobsen said...

I think that I will be joining ASHP because I may be interested in doing hospital pharmacy and I think this organization could give me some insight and help to acquiring a residency after I graduate. It is beneficial to be a part of organizations that are of interest and relevance to you as opposed to just joining them all. I think it is also important to get more involved within the organization and run for a leadership position.

Sonja Jacobsen (P1)

Anonymous said...

Ever since high school I've been extremely involved in a wide variety of things. The networking and the things I've learned from each position, organization, or event has always taught/showed me something new that I could apply to my everyday life. Giving back to less fortunate is also a great component of organizations, you can make a bigger impact when a group of people get together to do something positive in the community.
Getting involved isn't just about networking to find someone who can help get you experience or help you find a job in the future, it's also about the experience and giving back to the community.
There's also another component to networking that some people don't take note of all the time and that's gaining knowledge through the experience of others that are involved in the organization. Mistakes they once made can be avoided in whatever pathway you choose if you listen to someone who has gone through something similar as well. I'm 100% for people getting involved and experiencing new things. There's so much out there and you never know what might catch your interest!!

Jessica F. said...

I believe that joining professional organizations provides a variety of new opportunities for its members. It is a great way to network. What we are taught starting out in pharmacy school is to be professional to everyone because we never know who our boss can turn out to be. So networking is a great way to meet new people and possibly a future employer. Joining professional organization is also a great way to get involved into the community. Most organizations hold various different community activities. This could include a health fair, a medication disposal drive, blood pressure checks, etc. Joining professional organizations is also a way to get closer to your peers that have some of the same interests as you.

Jessica Farris, P1
Class of 2015

Kirsten Ferguson said...

This goes out to both students and mentors. Would it be better to join an organization that focuses on your particular field, say like clinical pharmacy, or more of a general organization? And is it really better to join multiple organizations or is it better to focus on one?

Kirsten Ferguson
P1 Wingate University

Jeff Davis said...

I do think that it is important to part of organizations but only if you are going to actively participate in them. I joined NCAP knowing that I am going to be a practicing pharmacist in North Carolina. By joining NCAP I can actively take part in the shaping of the pharmacy profession in NC. I know that members of the Wingate chapter have gone to Raleigh to talk to lawmakers about laws impacting pharmacists. By doing this I can have a positive impact on the future of pharmacy in NC.

Caleb Younts said...

It is undoubtedly a beneficial thing to join an organization while attending pharmacy school, and certainly any time otherwise is important to get involved in a group with a positive goal in mind. Becoming involved is important not solely for the social and career opportunities, but for deep improvement of one's self as well. When you dedicate yourself to an organization, you need to be sure that that organization is going to not only provide you with opportunities, but is going to help improve you as an individual, whether it be in your knowledge, your skills, or your sense of self. If being a part of an organization demonstrates a significant and positive impact on you personally than it is worth being a part of. Everyone should make sure that their organization is something that they feel can really effect who they are in a meaningful way. This is true for many organizations worldwide, not just pharmacy related organizations, and many groups exist out there that work wonders for individuals who decide to be a part of them and see the ultimate benefits of the group.

Anonymous said...

NCAP provides many benefits for its members such as being involved and/or understanding how pharmacy is changing by receiving legislative updates and receive innovative practice tools. This organization also provides quality CE programming that will be useful for maintaining licensure. Member's drug knowledge is also applied towards improving health through networking with other pharmacy practitioners, students and other health professionals. They also promote drug therapy services for patients as a way to improve health.


APhA offers several resources for members to stay informed on drug information through available literature and peer-reviewed journals. This organization also creates opportunities for members to educate and influence legislators, policy makers, regulators, and the public to advance our vision and mission of enhancing pharmaceutical care. APhA is a nationwide organization, which benefits members by having great opportunities to network with our colleagues across our nation, learn how they manage their practices and incorporate innovative ideas into our own practice.

Anonymous said...

Professional organizations are a great way to meet people and network within a community of pharmacists. They also provide an opportunity to attend community service activites and conferences - all things that make one more marketable. Groups can be helpful to make sure you stay up to date on new technologies and medications as well.

Jana Sigmon said...

All of these organizations seem to have a common goal of uniting pharmacists and bettering the profession for the sake of society. After looking at several websites, each organization really sells you on what they can do for you and how you can better serve society. I was really interested in NCAP's website since I recently joined this organization on campus. I was drawn to this organization because of the amount of student involvement and it really seems to follow through with the strategies listed online to accomplish their vision of “uniting, serving and advance the profession of pharmacy for the benefit of society”. The two points that stuck out to me were the strategies to “present a unified voice for pharmacy on social, political, and economic issues” and to “optimize drug therapy for people we serve”. I was really interested in NCAP when they said they went to DC and lobbied for some laws regarding pharmacy to be passed and one law is actually in the process of being passed. It seemed that they were really getting involved and actually making a difference. The second point of optimizing drug therapy is also displayed by the club through their weekly events at Walgreens to further help and educate patients with programs such as brown bag events and medication disposal events. Being a part of an organization is a vital part of growing into a well-developed, professional pharmacist and provides many great networking opportunities for the future. I’m glad we have so many opportunities here at Wingate to get involved.

Charlie Yates said...

NCAP stands for the North Carolina Association of Pharmacists. It is the state organization representing the profession of pharmacy, organized to unite, serve and advance the profession of pharmacy for the benefit of society. Founded in January 1, 2000, NCAP exists to unite, serve and advance the profession of pharmacy, and thus bettering society via local communities with pharmacies. What grabs my attention most with NCAP is their goals in wish they would like to accomplish. For one they’re aiming to present a unified voice for pharmacy on social, political, and economic issues. They also want to provide a forum for exchange of innovative ideas among pharmacists and collaborate with other health care providers to establish progressive health systems. They want to optimize drug therapy for people whom pharmacists serve, as well as anticipate future information and professional development needs for pharmacy practice. Finally, the NCAP aims to strengthen relationships among pharmacy students, pharmacy practitioners, technicians, and other health professionals. I understand the importance of joining one or more pharmacy organizations. The benefits are numerous. You learn more about the profession itself, meet a lot of people that share your common interests, and you offer aid for many local pharmacies, people, and societies on a state or national level. The purpose of these organizations is to allow young individuals the chance to get involved within a social network and make a difference in the profession, by knowing what’s going on and sharing their ideas and passion to accomplish the organization’s goals. NCAP offers these things to a substantial level. I think what speaks to me the most, however, about NCAP, is its desire to get people involved in Pharmacy on a political level. It is this level, after all, where we are to decide the fate of our profession over the next 40 or 50 years, and the impact in which we can potentially make on the health care system.

Adam Misenheimer said...

As many people have said joining any of the groups can be very useful to both yourself and the community. By joining a group you give yourself a chance to work with people that are more experienced than yourself whether it be a P2 or P3 or an actual pharmacist. You will also learn a lot of useful information from the community service projects that many of the groups partake in. So by joining a group you get to become more involved with the community, learn more about your profession, and meet a lot of people that are just like yourself.

Anonymous said...

A lot of people have mentioned that joining organizations look great on your CV, and help you network with others in the profession. In an organization that you join, you may start associating with a potential future employer as early as your P1 year. I personally joined ASHP for its ties to clinical pharmacy and residency programs. During your P4 year you can attend the midyear meeting, which this year is in New Orleans, and apply for residencies. This gives you a leg up on others who do not apply for residencies in person. By being in the organization, taking the time to attend meetings and getting involved shows you are passionate about your future profession! Employers like this and as future pharmacists, so should we.

Kevin Kulik
P1 student.

Anonymous said...

A lot of people have mentioned that joining organizations look great on your CV, and help you network with others in the profession. In an organization that you join, you may start associating with a potential future employer as early as your P1 year. I personally joined ASHP for its ties to clinical pharmacy and residency programs. During your P4 year you can attend the midyear meeting, which this year is in New Orleans, and apply for residencies. This gives you a leg up on others who do not apply for residencies in person. By being in the organization, taking the time to attend meetings and getting involved shows you are passionate about your future profession! Employers like this and as future pharmacists, so should we.

Kevin Kulik
P1 student.

Courtney Black said...

I think that student organizations are a great idea for several reasons. It allows students to help out and give back to the community but also provides us with the opportunity to meet new people within our career field. I believe several of my classmates have mentioned the benefit of networking that we receive from being members of student organizations. I also feel that they are a great way to help guide us to our ideal pharmacy job through various opportunities. I joined ACCP because at this point in time I am very interested in pursuing a residency after graduation and working clinical pharmacy. ACCP can either help me accomplish that goal through networking or it can help change my mind by allowing me to meet with people who have had the experiences I would like to have. It is also a great way to have fun and be around people who are all very familiar with the stresses of school and will be nothing but supportive.

Courtney Black
WUSOP 2015

Anonymous said...

Being apart of any student organization is a great way to get involved with school functions as well as working with the community. It is also a great way to meet people who work in your field of interest. These same people could be awesome references for a career after graduation. Some may even help you find a position for you. There are many organizations to choose from. I recommend to join many, but also choose the right organization that best fits your interests.

Parth Thakkar said...

I think that getting involved in professional organizations is great way to network and meeting people as many other have already mentioned. However, I think that professional organization can be a great stress reliever while in school since it gives us an opportunity to spend time with like minded people and focus on something other than the coursework that is laid out for us.

Parth Thakkar P1
Class of 2015

Tyler said...

Joining any organization gets you involved with the profession of pharmacy and opens your eyes. All of the clubs and organizations do some kind of community outreach as far as I'm aware. This is a good way to learn new things as well as show the community what we do. The organizations are just a good way to give back to society. The long term benefits of these organizations are priceless. They help you make connections after graduation with other pharmacists and potential employers that may have been in the same organizations.

Tyler Adcock
P1

Anonymous said...

Currently, I have no real pharmacy experience; I have not worked in a pharmacy, interned, shadowed, or even engaged in significant amount of conversation with practicing pharmacists. My connections are limited to those I have made at Wingate, including the mentors on this blog. So, joining a professional organization would be a good way of expanding my knowledge and understanding of the practice of pharmacy. Joining would be a good way of gaining some experience before I have IPPE next semester, and would make a good addition to my somewhat barren CV. I am still 'shopping around' and reading up on each of the available organizations with the goal of joining one or more of them in due time. I'm looking forward to reading the mentors' comments on specific organizations as a means of helping me decide.

Ryan Neal, P1
Class of 2015

Charleen Gnisci said...

Getting involved in organizations is very important, especially now in Pharmacy school. When we graduate, we will want to have something to talk about at our job interviews and the activities and experiences you have with different organizations is a great thing to speak about. Also, joining organizations is a great way to meet new people and help to give back to the community.

Charleen Gnisci, P1
Class of 2015

Anonymous said...

Not that I have anything against joining any of the mentioned organizations, but I do not think it is a must. As a pharmacist, your job opportunities are not based upon these organizations based on what I have seen and experienced. In some instances, being involved in professional organizations may bring about connections that can help you get a job but this does not guarantee anything. Most of the time, these organizations are just good for personal time and allow you to meet friends and other pharmacists. If students have the time to join multiple organizations and be involved, then that is a good thing. Currently, we do not know what the job field will look like in four years when we graduate because it could be the same as it was a couple years back where businesses were begging pharmacists to work there and offer 25 thousand dollar signing bonuses. Hopefully the health care market will increase to where this can be the case as it will make our job search easier in the future. There are job openings now, but not nearly as many.

Anonymous said...

While student organizations can offer a wide variety of opportunities one of their biggest functions is to be our voice. Something that I didn't think of initially but that my preceptor mentioned to me was the lobbying side of organizations like NCAP. He pointed out that support and membership of these groups helps us even if we avail ourselves of few of their other benefits. He was talking about the fact that if there are around 10k pharmacists registered in NC and a group only has a membership of 500 of those pharmacists their ability to lobby will be greatly hampered compared to the group that has 5,000. The lobbying is not an abstract concept either. The work of NCAP on immunization bills and work on reimbursement issues (like the boards issues with 3rd parties claiming "illegal" addition of DEA numbers to control prescription allows them to fine pharmacies even though it is not illegal at all) will affect us for years to come.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think it's very important to join organizations. It will it help you learn more about your profession and give you the opportunity to meet lots of different people. Organization due community outreach projects which will give you more hands on experience working with the community and practicing stuff we learn in the classroom. I think it's very important you don't join too many organizations though. Try and just join a few that way you have more time to be active.

Varun Patel said...

Getting involved in any organization is good way to socialize with people in your Profession. Pharmacy is like a small family and by joining this kind of organizations you get to know other members of your family. Most of us have no idea of what we are going to do after graduation. So joining organization is a good way to figure out your options as we get to participate in different projects dealing with different concentration of Pharmacy.

Anonymous said...

As a student that isn't 100% sure of what area of pharmacy that I would like to go into when I graduate I find that picking an organization to join can be overwhelming. I am afraid to simply pick an organization to join just because I feel like I have to and not pick the best one for me. Several of the organizations at Wingate advertise scholarships which is very appealing to a student because paying for school is expensive. I don't want to join an organization simply for money either. I think each organization offers unique exposure to pharmacy and networking opportunities but it is important that I pick one that is best suited for me. Therefore I should wait and make sure I know enough about each one before officially joining one.

Anonymous said...

The opportunities that are afforded by joining any professional organization are beneficial to the members, so it would be beneficial to us to join any of the organizations offered at WUSOP. I think it depends on the area of pharmacy in which you want to practice to determine which organization would be the best match for each individual.

However, I do think that the students at the Hendersonville campus might be at a slight disadvantage to join these organizations. My reasoning for this slight disadvantage is the lack of leadership roles for the Hendersonville campus students to hold. Another slight disadvantage is the location of the majority of community involvement events and the location of the meetings occurring at and around the Wingate, NC area. Perhaps in the future it could be considered to have separate chapters of organizations at each campus.

Josh Beavers said...

Organizations are a great way to build your CV, obtain leadership experience and also network with other students, pharmacists and other healthcare providers and companies. As a P1 I think that you should not only going an organization but find something within that organization you are passionate about and obtain a position either in a committee or a leadership position. You can also learn about resources in your community and about legislation affecting the profession.