Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Professional Organizations

Linked below is a list of professional organizations in pharmacy that are available to us as students and pharmacists. These are the major organizations that we have here at WUSOP. There are also more specific organizations that target certain disease states or patient groups (NLA, IDSA, etc.) I want you all to start thinking about which organizations might appeal to your interests as you look over their sites:

NCAP

ACCP

APhA

SNPhA

ASHP

CPFI


Students, what are some of the benefits available to you through joining these organizations?

Mentors, what benefits are available to pharmacists after graduation?

How many organizations should a student join?  Does this number change as we graduate and begin practicing?

53 comments:

Jess said...

As a member of a professional organization, you can continuously learn about your profession as it relates to that organization. For example, NCAP will keep you in the know about things that have to do with pharmacy and North Carolina. NCAP helps to unite pharmacists in NC and advance the pharmacy profession. NCAP represents NC pharmacists in Washington DC. Other professional organizations do similar things with specific groups of pharmacists across the United States and sometimes throughout the world. I am a member of ASCP because I am a long-term care consultant and I receive emails from them about things, including new laws, that will affect long-term care. Pharmacists can obtain CE from professional organizations. I believe that it is worth the money for these organizations to further your career and stay connected. I truly believe it would be good for each pharmacist to be a member of their state's organization.
When I was in school, I was a member of 3 organizations (NCAP, APha & ASHP) because these seemed like the most appropriate at the time - I feel that it was a good choice. Currently I am a member of 2 organizations (NCAP & ASCP).

Anonymous said...

Benefits of joining student organizations while in school are networking, scholarships, and more ways to learn and be successful through the pharmacy program. These organizations are student chapters of organizations of registered pharmacists. These organizations are put together to ensure the profession is moving forward and is well represented, they also provide continue education.

Luong said...

I'm an odd fish in my class because I'm pretty much set on what I want to do with my Pharmacy degree and where I will be working so I don't need to network as much as the average student should. Also, I'm a slow learner so I don't have much free time to join organizations or have fun as others do because I have to devote a lot of time learning these new materials. That's why I only joined the Christian Pharmacist club.

I joined this club because I want to help the needy, have opportunities to preach the Gospel and to meet other Christian students. But I strongly encourage all the other students to join as many professional clubs as you can because they need to get their names out there. They need to network with both their peers as well as with professionals who will help them find jobs after graduation.

Anonymous said...

There are various benefits to joining professional organizations. I joined ACCP yesterday because I am interested in clinical pharmacy. I think that by being a member I will be able to network with others who have the same interests and stay on top of current issues in the field of clinical pharmacy.

I also believe that a professional organization is a vehicle for ideas. When a group shares similar ideas, their voice becomes more powerful and they are able to accomplish things that individuals may not have been able to accomplish.

Anonymous said...

Being involved in professional organizations is a great way to not only meet other people with similar interests but also to meet potential employers and serves as a form of networking. In addition, it is a great way to get involved in the community and do volunteer work in areas that will be helpful to be familiar with. Another helpful aspect is being caught up with current events in pharmacy through newsletters and conferences that can be attended. I have always been involved with clubs that pertain to community service so I look forward to being able to volunteer with the organizations I joined yesterday at the membership drive. I became a member of ACCP and APhA and look forward to rushing for PDC.

Jenna Picton

Anonymous said...

i think the benefits toward joining these organizations are numerous. I think it creates opportunities to network with other pharmacists, hold events that will be beneficial to learn, train, and improve your skill as a pharmacist. I think that these organizations create opportunities that you can't get on your own. During the organization fair, I decided to join APhA and ACCP. I liked that APhA was the largest organization that could be beneficial for networking across the United States especially if you want to move locations. I also like ACCP because it focuses on the clinical pharmacy aspect which is something i'm very interested in at the moment. Though other organizations are very intriguing to me, and it will probably change throughout my experiences and preferences throughout my years at Wingate. I think a student should join at least one organization. It think that it is difficult to be an active member in multiple organizations and if anything to start small with one or two, and once you can get comfortable with those clubs either decide what you like better or join more if you so feel the need.
Lora Steffner

Anonymous said...

I think there are lots of benefits and advantages in joining organizations. From a pharmacist student point of view, I think being involved early and networking by joining organizations that you are interested in will definitely help you in the long run with developing career choices and exposing to different opportunities that the pharmacy profession has to offer. Also, by joining different organizations, you get to observe the expansion of the profession in a national/global point of view and interact with different people as well.

I recently joined NCAP, ACCP, and SNAPha
-Tam Pham

Anonymous said...

I think joining these organizations could have benefits in many different ways. By joining and participating in the Wingate chapter of these organizations it allows the student pharmacist to gain many resources that they would not have otherwise. Interacting with the older students may give you insight to the career of pharmacy that you may not have gotten outside of these organizations. I have also heard that certain members get study materials for the Board Certification test that we must pass at the end of our four years to become practicing pharmacist. While these are only the smaller benefits, they are helpful in progressing the student through school and also a career in pharmacy.

I also think that these organizations are beneficial to a practicing pharmacist who is no longer in school. Like mentioned before, these groups often send out emails that update their members on recent law changes or new drugs. They can also help you network with other pharmacists should you wish to move jobs or anything of that sort.

I think you should pick the ones that best suit your career path and try to invest as much time as you can in them. Not only are they beneficial to you during school but they will also provide many advantages after you graduate.

Anonymous said...

I think the biggest gain from joining an organization and something that really appealed to me was the opportunity to network within the pharmacy community. I was intrigued by some of the P3's mentioning how they had attended the national conventions for their organizations and ended up with a summer job or are looking to contact the people they met after they complete school for a career possibility. I am currently interested in doing a residency after school and as we have all been told they are becoming very competitive. Therefore, any leg up you can gain by interacting with certain people is well worth the fees the organizations require.

-Nick Scaturo

Jessica Patel said...

Professional organizations have a lot to offer while in pharmacy school but also after in when you are working in the field. Becoming a member to some of these organizations provide several benefits. As discussed in class, you can network with others, meet new people from all over, serve the community, obtain scholarships, and stay connected with current issues and events in the field. These benefits are reasons why I believe it is important to get involved with different organizations. In my opinion, joining several organizations the first year of school is not a bad idea. After attending the organization fair, I am thinking about joining four different organizations. I think that as a first year student, it's important to see what is out there and explore the different options. I want to join several now and see which ones over time do I feel the most compatible with and then just turn my focus to them. I believe that it is important to become a part of an organization to build relationships and keep connected with the field.

Stuart Shields said...

When a student pharmacist (or licensed pharmacist, for that matter) joins a professional organization, he or she has developed an avenue to network and consult with thousands of like-minded mentors and their peers in organizations across the country. It seems to be an excellent way to gather information and insights about a certain field he or she may be interested in but have not had the opportunity to work or shadow in. Connections discovered and developed through professional organizations can certainly lead to intern or employment opportunities later in life. In terms of number of organizations a pharmacist should join, it seems you may want to join the maximum number of groups you're interested in while in pharmacy school and, over the course of time, concentrate your interests in certain groups and gracefully remove yourself from others as you determine your career objectives.

Tami Harty said...

I have not joined a professional organization yet, but I plan to because of all the associated benefits. As we discussed in class, they can provide leadership and counseling opportunities, help educate the community (i.e. medication disposal, disease prevention), motivate students in competitions, etc. I don't think there is a limit as to how many organizations a student should join, as long as you maintain a balance between school, preceptors, work, and family. I am currently interested and NCAP and APhA, but I am still trying to find that balance in my life.

Anonymous said...

Joining these organizations opens up many opportunities for you to stay active in the community, fine tune skills, and network within the pharmacy field. Even after obtaining your degree, being involved in an organization will keep you informed on the current events in the pharmaceutical world and can connect you to different service opportunities to serve the community. One example of this, here in school, is the journal club that exists within ACCP. Being active also gives you opportunities to fine-tune your leadership skills by serving on a committee or taking on a leadership position within your organization. I know that many of these clubs also offer services to help you increase your counseling and clinical skills; for example, ASHP will hold clinical skills competitions for their members and APhA-SA offers patient counseling aid. Networking is also a major reason for the existence of these organizations – to connect you with others of the same profession, field, interests, specialization, etc. Through networking, you can meet new friends, co-workers, potential employers; and exchange and develop fresh ideas. And finally, as a bonus plus, some organizations will offer scholarships which would only be available to you if are an active member!

Alli Payne said...

I was wondering if anyone knows much about potential scholarship opportunities within the pharmacy organizations?

Also, I think it's interesting how in undergrad, there were so many clubs, volunteer opportunities, intramural sports, etc. that were all considered "extracurricular activities," where as now, everything seems to fall under one of these organizations. I think it's great that each organization enables you to get involved in community service, leadership, and experiential learning, but it seems like it's hard to really stand out if everyone is a part of all of these organizations. Do any current pharmacists have any input regarding this?

Katie Easterling said...

Although I have not joined any organizations, I do plan on joining a few before I graduate. I think the most crucial thing about joining these organizations are the people you meet and the networks that you make. As a P1, I have no idea where I will end up working. I have an idea of what I like, but I am open to so many options, and by joining these organizations, I may be able to play with the various options. Along the way, I may meet someone who knows someone who went to school with a pharmacist who just may give me the dream job. Although networking may not be the only upside to joining these organizations, I believe it is an important one.


-Katie Easterling

Anonymous said...

There are many advantages being a part of an organization. I think the biggest thing for us as student pharmacists is to get our names out there. These organizations can be a great way to meet people that you otherwise wouldn't be able to meet. I agree with Jess that joining your states organizations can keep you very current with news things going on in your particular state.

Danny Salem

Anonymous said...

There are many advantages being a part of an organization. I think the biggest thing for us as student pharmacists is to get our names out there. These organizations can be a great way to meet people that you otherwise wouldn't be able to meet. I agree with Jess that joining your states organizations can keep you very current with news things going on in your particular state.

Danny Salem

Anonymous said...

Organizations, to me, are an essential part of pharmacy school. I feel that everyone should join at least one int eh pharmacy career. These organizations let student pharmacists help out their community, meet new people, and learn a lot at the same time while having fun. As previously mentioned, joining an organization can help an individual meet new people and even start networking, building good communication skills in taught in class, but joining an organization can help one practice these skills. Another positive attribute about organizations is there are quite a few, which allows an individual to choose a group by what he or she likes or has an interest in. Organization can also provide valuable leadership possibility. Leadership is a very important trait in the world of professionals and can start while a student is still in pharmacy school, preparing him or her for how to lead in the real world. I feel as though a student pharmacist should join at least one organization in their career as a student pharmacist. I believe it would be a good idea to join one your P1 year and then, as time progresses, gauge your study habits and either join another club if you are interested, or if you feel it would be too much of a time commitment remain in one club. However, if you find that organization activity hurts your grades by requiring too much time it would be wise to stop going t meetings.

Anonymous said...

After learning about all of the different pharmacy-related organizations that are available, I feel very confident about my decision to join AphA. Though there are tremendous benefits to joining these organizations during pharmacy school, these same benefits will last well into an individual's pharmacy career. As important as it is to network right now, networking will still be very important in the future. Careers in pharmacy appear to be very dynamic, therefore it is very important to stay updated on important changes. Membership in these types of organizations is a great way to stay connected to others who can help us to further our lifelong education. I anticipate that being a member of APhA will be well worth it, and it is an organization that I plan to remain in throughout my years as a pharmacist.

a.m.shaver%wingate.edu said...

I really think that being involved in professional organizations can be very important and critical in a field like pharmacy. To me, it's all about networking. Networking is probably one of the best benefits of joining any group. As mentioned over the first few weeks of classes, pharmacy is a very small field and because of that, networking is crucial. I personally know someone who received a job because he and the district manager were in the same fraternity, not even from the same institution. It's truly amazing how these things can work. Besides from networking, the friendships and connections you make with people in the organization and the community (from doing outreach programs)are important components that mean a lot too. Joining a professional organization keeps you busy, gives you opportunities to do great things, and can help your future career!
-Aaron Shaver

Anonymous said...

I think that joining organizations have many great benefits. In addition to the numerous ways to meet people in the pharmacy industry, it is also a great way to gain real life experiences through involvement in community outreach projects. It provides the opportunity to interact with the public and practice what we are learning in the classroom as well as being a great chance to learn from students in their P2-P3 years. Being a member of these organizations is a great source for keeping up to date on the current events in the pharmacy industry. The many benefits of participating in organizations will only add to our growing knowledge of the field of pharmacy and can help prepare us to be great pharmacists.

Anonymous said...

I can only speak to my experience with organizations so far, but I felt as though joining a student organization would be beneficial to me for many reasons. First, organizations give you the ability to get to know your peers in a relatively faculty-free environment. My ideas of many student organizations were shaped by the opinions I got from several of my friends who are already members of them. These organizations give you a chance to get to know upper class students and work together with them. Second, student organizations can help to shape then career path that you take. Whether you already know what you would like to do or you don't have any idea, student organizations can help to familiarize you with several different aspects of pharmacy. These organizations can help to prepare you for your future career through the knowledge and access they give you. Also, they help you to get experience in pharmaceutical settings, as well as encouraging you to get your name out to others in the profession. Third, student organizations provide you with an opportunity to give back to your school, the peers, and, especially, your community. I am currently planning to be involved with about four student organizations this semester and all of them stress service and taking action to make a difference where we can. I think the appropriate number of organizations differs for each individual, depending on their availability, interest, and desires. And your organizational affiliation may absolutely change as you grow in your pharmacy career and become more in tune with what it is that you are meant to accomplish, thus focusing your attentions on what you are willing and able to commit to the most. In that regard, another great thing about student organizations is that many of them are life-long memberships, which enables the future pharmacist to stay involved and provide an example and encouragement to those who come after.

Jesse R Alvarado

Anonymous said...

Professional organizations offer an array of benefits for us as student pharmacists. Student pharmacists are presented with opportunities for networking with the "small world of pharmacy." Networking in this matter ranges in several different aspects; getting involved with the community, meeting potential employers, finding a mentor in the specific field that one would like to pursue, etc. Joining the organizations also allows for specifity to occur; broadening the student pharmacist's knowledge of the direciton they want to travel in, whether that be community, chain, clinical, etc. It also gives the opportunity for leadership skills to be developed if an officer position is held, more training is available when attending seminars or workshops or conferences, able to stay up to date on the most recent research and pharmacy news, and much more. I believe that if a student is unsure of where they would like their PharmD to take them, they should join several different organizations to gain a better understanding with what each speciality entails. As time goes on and they discover what it is they would like to do, they can start to narrow their organizations down to the ones specifically for their field. However, if they all ready know exactly what they want to do with their degree, no hesitation in which organizations they should join. I recently joined NCAP, CPFI, and APhA.

Unknown said...

I think that it is important to join organizations. Not only are they useful for networking but also supply many opportunities to get involved. Last week I joined NCAP and APhA. Throughout the year I am looking forward to taking what I’m learning in the classroom out into the community and to further that knowledge by participating in activities. In my undergrad, a student pharmacist visiting from Chapel Hill’s pharmacy school came to talk to us about pharmacy and how it applies to different subjects in the classroom. That was one of the reasons I am here today. Being in the community and not only having the ability to help others but maybe even inspire them to become a pharmacist one day is something that is important to me. By joining these organizations the possibility of that chance grows.

Anonymous said...

Joining student organizations has several benefits. It can allow you to network and meet potential employers. It can also give you extra experience in pharmacy. Many organizations do volunteer work relating to pharmacy. Another benefit of joining an organization is that it can help you decide what field you want to enter. For example, you might join ACCP to decide whether or not you like clinical pharmacy. I think that organizations are a huge benefit for current pharmacy students and for professionals who want to stay updated on topics.

-Curtis Austin

Anonymous said...

Joining a professional organization can be very beneficial for pharmacists as well as students. These organizations offer many workshops that can greatly benefit pharmacists in areas such as patient care and leadership skills. As for the student, like many others have said networking and scholarships are probably the biggest benefits available to them.
Jeff Auten

Anonymous said...

A huge benefit to joining different organizations is networking. At conferences, meetings, and doing community service you are able to meet so many people! Another advantage to joining one or more of these groups is the chance to do something positive for the career. It helps you as an individual learn about the different areas of the career and how beginning as a student you can impact the career itself. Of course, as with most groups you also get the opportunity to begin reaching out to the community from the start. To help the community is a huge reason most of us wanted to pursue this profession and all these organizations reach out in different ways. It will help us get our feet wet so to speak and begin to find where we belong in this professional community.

Melani St. Pierre said...

I think there are many benefits to joining student organizations. A couple reason why I personally have decided to join both ACCP and APhA are educational opportunities, community outreach opportunities, networking, as well as many others. It is a good way to develop your professional profile and work on getting some leadership skills. As a P1, I'm not sure which area of pharmacy I am leaning toward, so the specialized organizations are a good way for me or anyone to so see some of the aspects of their future with that particular area.

Anonymous said...

Being a part of an organization can help make you more knowledgeable about the profession of pharmacy. There are plenty of meetings, info packets, and organizational websites that offer plenty of information about pharmacy. Not only are those resources useful, but it's also nice to know that I have other people in my organization that I can go to with questions. Organizations also can help people find exactly what branch of pharmacy they might want to go into. I never knew how many options there were within pharmacy until I began school at WUSOP. For those who may already know what specific field they want to pursue, there are many organizations that are tailored to narrower fields. Where APhA is a very broad organization, there are also those like ASHP which is more geared toward hospital pharmacy. Organizations are just a great way to get involved and to start the networking process that can potentially be of service somewhere down the road.

Sarah Leonall said...

Today in fact I joined CPFI. I joined this organization in particular because it fit with why I wanted to be a pharmacists and also my personal beliefs. I hope to meet people with similar beliefs. Also, I think organizations are beneficial because they can help you accomplish a goal you might have. For instance, CPFI does mission trips so if you are interested in a trip like that then they can help you do it. Other organizations are really passionate about certain areas of pharmacy or certain medical conditions. These organizations could help you make a difference in an area that you are passionate about and at the same time help you find people who are also passionate about it.

Anonymous said...

I have personally joined NCAP, APhA and SNPhA. I think joining organizations is important for us to do as student pharmacists. We need to get involved and meet members of our community as well as meet other members of academia. There are endless benefits that come from being involved in pharmacy organizations. As far as how many someone should join, I believe this is specific for each person. As long as you are able to find the balance between work,organizations and maintain some sort of personal life as well as your sanity, I say join as many as you want! I think the problem comes in when people join but are not involved.

Anonymous said...

Many benefits of joining an organization have been mentioned. For me, being a member of an organization gives me opportunity to involve in different activities, learn and gain experience and at the same time help the community.

Diep Phan

Anonymous said...

Many benefits of joining an organization have been mentioned. For me, being a member of an organization gives me opportunity to involve in different activities, learn and gain experience and at the same time help the community. The organizations will also give me opportunity to meet with different people, networking, to find out what I really like by experiencing.

Anonymous said...

Joining various student organizations helps with the pharmacy school onboarding process. It allows students to network with second or third year pharmacy school students as well as pharmacy professionals. Educating the community and organization members is very important to all of these clubs, and it allows newcomers to become more aware of opportunities in pharmacy. Staying involved in these organizations also benefits a pharmacist. For example, NCAP is hosting an Immunization Training Program as well as a Diabetes Certificate Program. Continuing education is important for pharmacists, so being involved in organizations gives them more opportunities to stay updated.

-Amanda Lathom

Anonymous said...

For me, the benefits of joining student/professional organizations are many valuable opportunities for networking, community service, and relevant experience which I can apply toward reaching the next stages of my pharmacy career - a residency, and eventually a placement. I could likely find benefit from most if not all of the organizations available. However, because I am mostly interested in a career as a clinical pharmacist, I believe my best choice for an organization to become active in, at least to start with, would be ACCP due to its clinical focus.

-Evan Palmieri

Anonymous said...

Organizations have many implications that affect us individually. The one thing I feel is overlooked is what these organizations do to try and benefit pharmacists as a whole group. These groups are the ones representing pharmacists on important issues for the betterment of the profession and that is why I joined a few organizations.

Evan Medford

Amanda said...

I joined APhA for the level of leadership both at the school level but also at the national level. Allows you to experience pharmacy leadership throughout your doctoral schooling but also once you become a phamacist.

I think joining clubs and organizations enhance your overall learning about pharmacy but also makes you a more well rounded individual.

Anonymous said...

As a member of SnPha and APhA, one can test the waters for the profession world, as well as connect to ones community and peers. The organizations also allow students to work along side upper class men, and gain experience that will aid in future and current classes.

Anonymous said...

I think that joining organizations are extremely beneficial to your pharmacy school experience as well as to your future. First of all, I think that being a part of organizations exposes you to many different aspects of your career and can allow you to be aware of/part of current happenings in the field of pharmacy. Also, I think this can be very beneficial once you start practicing because it “keeps you in the loop”, which can be hard to do once you have graduated school and may not get first-hand information about new discoveries or research that can affect you and your patients. Another important reason is just to get to know your peers. Since we are going to be spending the next three years with each other, I think it is important to spend time doing organizational activities and spending time together outside of the classroom.

Anonymous said...

I do think that organizations are a great resource and way to participate in the community. I am excited to learn more about the different clubs since I am not yet a part on any one. I am curious about how a student or working pharmacist is able to participate in an organization if he or she operates in a more remote/disconnected area?
Yelena Panko

Anonymous said...

For like me who has no experience in the profession of pharmacy, it is extremely important to join organizations. its not only the way to network with other students and professionals but also to be guided to the best pathway that fits me in the field.

Anonymous said...

For like me who has no experience in the profession of pharmacy, it is extremely important to join organizations. its not only the way to network with other students and professionals but also to be guided to the best pathway that fits me in the field.

Anonymous said...

For like me who has no experience in the profession of pharmacy, it is extremely important to join organizations. its not only the way to network with other students and professionals but also to be guided to the best pathway that fits me in the field.

Anonymous said...

For like me who has no experience in the profession of pharmacy, it is extremely important to join organizations. its not only the way to network with other students and professionals but also to be guided to the best pathway that fits me in the field.

Anonymous said...

For like me who has no experience in the profession of pharmacy, it is extremely important to join organizations. its not only the way to network with other students and professionals but also to be guided to the best pathway that fits me in the field.

Anonymous said...

For like me who has no experience in the profession of pharmacy, it is extremely important to join organizations. its not only the way to network with other students and professionals but also to be guided to the best pathway that fits me in the field.

Anonymous said...

For like me who has no experience in the profession of pharmacy, it is extremely important to join organizations. its not only the way to network with other students and professionals but also to be guided to the best pathway that fits me in the field.

Anonymous said...

For like me who has no experience in the profession of pharmacy, it is extremely important to join organizations. its not only the way to network with other students and professionals but also to be guided to the best pathway that fits me in the field.

Luong said...

Another thing to think about is being sent to various trade shows sponsored by such companies like Mc Kesson, AmeriSource Bergen and Cardinal for free or at least at a discounted fee. These trade shows are eye-openers for those who never had a chance to attend. You will meet lots of other professionals in the Industry who will introduce you to their niche market. Both their products and services will blow your mind away!

There are also classes you can go to while you are there such as "Marketing Your Pharmacy Business", MTM services, new laws and regulations, etc...I strongly advise that you be in these classes to explore new horizons.

Chances for more networking are another plus. Meet as many people from the various companies and organizations to increase your job opportunities.

I've been to about four such trade shows and believe me, there are very addictive. You will want to go again and again to update your knowledge and see what's new.

Anonymous said...

I believe that there are a lot of benefits in joining the organizations. One area that touches my heart is the opportunity to volunteer in much needed places. It is interesting to know from my preceptor that some patients can not just understand how the generic acetaminophen is the same thing as the Tylenol brand.
With all the knowledge that we are acquiring , it will be a great opportunity to share with those who need them the most. Joining any of these organization will give us the opportunity to do just that because they all have such great outreach programs. An example is 'The brown bag'. I think it serves just the right and much needed purposes in the lives of these patients.
I plan to join an NCAP next semester because I don't want to join now and not be able to go for the meetings. Then I will add another one if I am able.
- Vida Ohene Agyeman.

Anonymous said...

I think joining at least one organization is very important for student pharmacists. During school we need to get a feel for what direction we want to head when we graduate school and organizations are a great way to get that experience. I didn't decide to apply to pharmacy school until I got a job at a pharmacy to see if this is what I am truly interested in. I have experienced 2 different retail settings, through my job and now through rotations, but I want to see what hospital pharmacy is all about and the only way to know is to get that experience. Since a lot of us don't have too much free time to volunteer or get another job, organizations are a great way to get a feel for new areas.

-Jessica Osteen

Anonymous said...

Professional Organizations
Joining an organization is a great way to get involved in the world of pharmacy. The relationships you develop in the organization could be lifelong and life changing. Sometimes getting a position in a flourishing company may not be due what you know, but who you know. These organizations could give you insight on the troubles that face the industry and potential solution for these problems. Keep in mind that joining several organizations may not have the same return as joining just one or two organizations. Remember, investing time in several superficial relationships will certainly not be as rewarding as developing few meaningful relationships. In time, you will find an organization that fits you best.

Anonymous said...

There really is no better way to experience the heart and soul of pharmacy than by involving yourself with professional organizations. I figure: If we've made it this far (i.e. getting into pharmacy school...), why not jump in even further? So... I joined those that resonate with the plans -- vague as they may be -- I have for myself upon graduating from WUSOP... APhA, SNPhA and SSHP. Networking is a given among numerous organization benefits, but the fulfillment of participating in something greater than myself [and beyond academics] proves to be the greatest, hands down.

-James Agtuca