Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Health Care - Right or Privilege?

Try to make a decision for yourself on this topic without doing any background research. Should access to health care be guaranteed to everyone? Then, take a look at these articles (1), (2) and compare them to your original thoughts. How closely aligned were your ideas with either one of them? Did your opinion change after reading either article? Post to the blog other materials you can find on this subject.
 
A couple of assumptions:
 
1. Regardless of insurance status, citizenship, etc., anyone who presents to an emergency department with a true emergency should receive at least stabilizing treatment for whatever acute problem they are having.
 
2. This is about patients, not politics. We are not discussing which group of politicians is right or wrong.

56 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that access to health care is a necessity for everyone. As the definition of beneficence states we must consider what is best for the patient. Health care for every individual will be a definite improvement in the health of individuals. One thing that I cannot wrap my head around is how health care is such an issue in this country when it is provided without charge in other countries. I believe that if we were to take the cost, which seems to be exceedingly increasing each year, of health care out of the equation we can achieve an environment where most are not so reluctant to seek professional guidance when it comes to health care. After all can we really put a price on our well-being?
After reading each article I still stand firm on my beliefs. If we take the cost out of health care we can achieve beneficence without persecution of the so called status quo. My main argument for the subject is, if other countries can do this why can’t we?
As a pharmacy technician who has worked in a hospital I have noticed the difference between those that are concerned with money and those that are concerned with the well-being of individuals. Hospitals that are funded through governmental and individual funds tend to be more willing to provide services, and then ask for insurance or payments whereas those that are “privately” funded tend to reject those that are in need of medical assistance until they can provide proof of insurance or income. The main point of this being, if you saw a person in need of help will you help them or look the other way? As many of us would like to believe that we are the type of person that would help, we in fact find ourselves looking the other way. This ties in with health care in such a way that if we are really and truly concerned with the health and well-being of every individual that crosses our path we will sacrifice what seems to be important to us at the time to do what is right; help those that are in need as we may be in the same situation someday.

Kimberly Coe
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe everyone has a right to healthcare. I feel as though everyone should have access to healthcare in an emergency, whether you have insurance or don’t or are a citizen of the US or not. However, I believe that if you abuse that right to healthcare, that the privilege should be taken away. I previously worked in an emergency room where I saw hundreds of individuals abuse our healthcare system, increasing the debt by using resources and dollars when not in a true state of emergency. I also believe that a large part of those people who “abuse” our healthcare system are not educated about the resources available to them. That is why I believe if someone abuses the healthcare system, his or her privilege to healthcare should be revoked.
After reading these articles my view on if healthcare is a right or privilege does not really change. I do agree that our country has an issue with where our healthcare is today and the amount of debt that has come from healthcare cost. I still believe however that part of that debt has come from individuals who are uneducated and have learned to abuse the healthcare system. I don’t believe that even though some individuals might not be educated on the services that are available to them, should be kept from having access to healthcare. Everyone should have access to be seen and treated by a physician but when those privileges are abused and taken for granted, then I do believe our government should have the right to revoke those privileges.

Kerri Greene
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

I believe that health care is something that should be available to everyone, however I do see it being abused by many people. This problem leads to fine line that has to be balanced between helping everyone who needs it and having money spent on people who really do not. For example, I have a relative that will call the ambulance anytime she gets a migraine in order to get a trip to the hospital and some hydrocodone. They are required to come get and treat her, but she is never made to pay for the treatment, and couldn't even if she was. In this case, the hospital is spending unnecessary money to care for her, even though she really did not need that extensive of care. This problem is one that is not easily solved, however, because I do not believe in denying a patient who really needs it care just because they can not pay for it. After reading these articles, my opinion did not really change. A patient should be given care, however more should be done to prevent people from abusing the system.

Alyssa Harkey
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do believe that everyone should have access to healthcare. Some people are not as fortunate as others and cannot have insurance for themselves. I do believe, although, that there should be limitations with this benefit. People should not be able to take advantage of the system because, obviously, people will try to. Who knows how we could evaluate the importance of the specific scenario.

-Taylor Morrisette

Unknown said...

According to the oath taken by healthcare professionals, it is our duty to serve humanity to the best of our abilities. This means we have accepted the responsibility to provide care for the beneficence of every patient. If healthcare was looked at as more of a right than a privilege, we as a population would be healthier. I think the majority of people do not seek medical attention because they cannot afford it. If we look at certain contagious infections or disease states (ex. HPV), and had a healthcare plan in place address these areas we could decrease the perpetual nature of these afflictions. We have seen the beneficial outcomes of these efforts in regards to the eradication of small pox and are moving towards the obliteration of polio, diphtheria and chicken pox. Why not apply this theory of preventative care to other aspects of disease states. In a perfect world all healthcare would be a right on every level and free of charge. However there are so many other extenuating factors. This is also why I have a problem with managed care outfits quantifying the worth of a person’s life or limb. However the realist in me understands that everything has a cost whether it is monetary or of other means.

Anonymous said...

I do believe that everyone, regardless if they are a US citizen, regardless of age, race, insurance, or social standing are entitled to acute emergency healthcare. Everyone has the right to life. It is not up to us as healthcare providers to determine whether one person is more worthy than another person to survive simply because they can afford it. That being said, I believe there needs to be major regulation of this service. A person that does not have insurance that needs to take advantage of an emergency service should be required to pay what they can based on income and members in household. Even if that means they can only afford 300 dollars of the 12,000 dollars they owe. By requiring this, I believe it will reduce the amount of abuse of the system. Furthermore, I believe that each incidence should be documented and recorded for validity of the claim and treatment. If someone is obviously abusing the system, something needs to be done so that it does not continue.
After reading the articles, I found it did not change my thoughts on emergency health care. I am well aware that the increasing amount of debt accumulation from patients that do not have insurance is an issue for this country. However, the moment money becomes more important than a life, is the moment the healthcare system has failed us. I do believe that implementing charges based on income to those who do not have insurance is a great way to combat abuse of the system. Also keeping record of those who are abusing and applying subsequent action will help to reduce abuse. In my opinion, a healthcare provider can tell when something is not a medical emergency or someone is faking it. Our main concern should be focusing on how we can prevent abuse.

Legacy Marsolek
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I think it is practically inhumane to deny a person healthcare. What exactly should determine whether one person is allowed healthcare over another? Unfortunately it is the hierarchy of life. People with more money at this point can get healthcare easier than those without. However, I find it a positive change in society and human life to allow everyone the same rights to equal healthcare. Equality has been sought after for decades in America and limiting healthcare to a specific group of people only opposes this mission. I do realize there are financial issues and risks for increasing the population to a level of where capacity cannot be supported. Yet, humans are intelligent and I am certain equality can be obtained and the cons of universal healthcare can be overcome.

Monica White
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

While providing free healthcare to everyone sounds like a great idea, I believe that it is a bit of a stretch. Anyone can say that it is in our oath as professionals to provide healthcare to any person in need of it, no matter the cost. The Affordable Healthcare Act has certain aspects that lead people to assume that the price of healthcare going down is going to cause the quality to decrease as well, and I believe that this is what would happen, should healthcare be available to any and every person. Free healthcare will decrease our salaries, as well as many other healthcare workers. Also, a huge amount of people in America take advantage of “affordable healthcare” that I do not believe the risks outweigh the benefits. This is not to say that if a dying person comes to the hospital, I would deny care for him; a situation such as this is what our taxes should be used for, not financing people who clearly abuse the system.

Kristen Doster
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that every individual has a right to receive healthcare. I don't think that an individual should have to have insurance in order to receive care. Before the notion of insurance, healthcare was a fee for service business. You went in, saw the doctor, received treatment and when you were done you payed for the visit. Insurance companies have negotiated (deducted) the payment a doctor receives for seeing patients. In return the doctor must drive up prices in order to actually make money. I worked in an Optometry Office where a standard visit was $120. If we billed the insurance company for the visit, we may only get paid $60 for that service because the insurance company makes adjustments to the bill. Then, it takes approximately 2-3 weeks to receive payments from the insurance once the service is billed. I feel like there is a better option to our healthcare system than what we already have set up. If a set of standards and guidelines about fees and payments were set up, I feel like it could benefit the system, Costs could potentially decrease and more patients could receive quality healthcare. Overall, I think that everyone should have access to healthcare if they need it. But in reality someone is going to ultimately abuse the system and ultimately someone has to pay for it.
Katie Brooks
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

My first opinion was health care should not be guaranteed to everyone. If it was guaranteed to everyone, those who could not pay for it, would receive costly procedures or surgeries for free and medical professionals would suffer significantly. If everyone was granted healthcare, how would those providing the healthcare be reimbursed? On the contrary, if everyone had healthcare, the demand for professionals would significantly increase. We as pharmacists would always have a job because the demand would be so high. Although I can see both sides, my first opinion is that health care should not be given to every person in the country.

After reading the article, I found a statement that stood out to me. The article stated, "First, no US citizen should be denied access to healthcare. The intuitive inference is that healthcare is an entitlement. Second, the current system for healthcare reimbursement is inadequate at multiple levels." And with that being said, my opinion changed. No US citizen should be denied access to healthcare, and for that matter non-citizens as well. But non-US citizens should not have the same benefits to healthcare costs that US citizens do. The reimbursement system of healthcare should also be adjusted, considering it is currently inadequate. As pharmacists it is our duty to improve the lives of others, and if we can improve the lives of more people, it is an opportunity to fulfill our duty.

Cheryl Gentry said...

Before reading these articles, and even after reading them, I believe that healthcare is a right and not a privilege. As a healthcare provider, I cannot imagine turning someone away in need just because they cannot afford services. I know that this is how business are ran; you don't get a service without pay, but this is dealing with a person's life.
I do believe there must be limitations to this to prevent abuse of the system. When I have a common cold or a sore muscle I don't run to the doctor's office; I have to really be in sick, in serious pain, or a state of emergency. I would expect the same from everyone. I also believe only necessary procedures should be a part of this privilege and certain facilities should be designated for these patients.

Jessie Burger said...

Health care should be available to everyone. I think that people should be guaranteed access to getting sufficient health care. There are health care providers wanting to help people and there are people that need help. The help is there so why would someone be denied the right to health care? I do think that there should be discernment and regulations placed for who actually needs the help and not, but those lines can be drawn after a patient is seen by the healthcare professional. They should be able to have a chance at getting care in the first place.
It is our duty to place the patient at the top of our priorities. They have a right to receive our care and it should also be a desire for us to fight for their rights. Even if this isn't seen as a right, then we should fight for their privileges.
Although it may not be the best plan for our salaries, we should be wanting to help people regardless of how much less we will be making--where we'll still be making more than many people.

Anonymous said...

Access to health care is a right especially in times of emergencies. This right should not be abused though so I think people should keep up with their health so there is a balance. If this right is abused it should be revoked. Patients who have been properly educated yet chose not to take care of themselves should have the right revoked. Some other factors about why healthcare is a right. Not everyone has a job, money or capacity to do a job (maybe they are handicapped) and not everyone has money for their medications. Some of these patients that get educated after coming to the hospital may not have tools like blood pressure machine to check and keep up with it. So why should these people’ s be denied health care when the leaders of other countries are able to evolve new ideas to accommodate health care for all of their populace.

Pooja Duggaraju
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that healthcare is a privilege. The way I see healthcare is that everyone should be allowed healthcare until they begin abusing it. Although I believe people shouldn’t be allowed healthcare when they are clearly abusing the healthcare system, personally, I couldn’t withhold treatment to someone that is in dire need. After reading these articles my opinions have not really changed because everyone deserves healthcare but it seems really hard to stop abuse of healthcare. It hurts the people who use healthcare properly while has no real effect on those who abuse. If we can somehow get better regulations and get rid of wasteful spending in the healthcare system I think this topic would be less of a burden.

Matt Thompson

Anonymous said...

I believe that healthcare is a privilege. Everyone should be held at the same accountability regardless of income or insurance status. If you don't have insurance, then you should have to pay on a scale based off of your income. For someone that does have insurance well great, they wont have to pay as much because of the insurance. If we allow people that cannot afford the healthcare services obtain free service then that takes away the incentive for people to work to pay for their insurance and health services. This is one of the biggest issues with our health system right now. We need to hold people accountable for their actions. By that I mean that people should have to pay for the services they receive. Prior to deciding on pharmacy school, I shadowed in the ER for some time and at the same time everyday there would be a large influx of people coming into the hospital. The reason for this influx was because the public transportation just dropped off. The patients that came in during this time did not have insurance and most came in weekly in attempts to try to get pain pills and such.

Robert Byrd

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, health care is both a right and a privilege, but more so a privilege. No one should ever be denied care when they come to the ER. Even if people do not have insurance, they should be treated because it may be the difference between life and death. However, this privilege can be abused when people take advantage of the system and do not even try to take care of themselves. There are many people who are happy with living off of the system and not working for their own needs. Some of the people who abuse this system do not really need the care and are taking away from the patient’s who actually need the care. Therefore, there should be some kind of regulation to help reduce this abuse.

Summer Powell
Doctorate of Pharmacy Candidate
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

Health care should be guaranteed to everyone. Although I’m not sure of how it would work, or the funding, I believe that everyone should have an equal right to gain access to health care. Everyone deserves the right to live a healthy lifestyle, or get treated for a sickness. The treatment of all individuals is viewed as equal, so they should treated as equal. Everyone should have access to this healthcare, because numerous amounts of people need help and treatment but cannot afford or access the healthcare system. However, I agree with Kerri that it should also be a privilege. If an individual tries to abuse this right, then it should be taken away, especially if they are constantly abusing the system. If they do not try to show any effort to improve their health or situation, but constantly try to abuse the healthcare system, then they should be denied this right. There are plenty of rightfully deserving people that cannot access a healthcare system; however, on the opposite side of the spectrum, there are also numerous amounts of people that consciously abuse this system. I believe that everyone deserves the right to get treated, without denial being affected by insurance, money, or other reasons of accessibility. As health care professionals, we are tasked with providing quality health care to all individuals seeking help without any bias. Therefore, we must depend on these patients to not abuse their rights and seek health and treatment for genuine, and rightful purposes.
I agree with the articles and their viewpoints. Although the means to regulate and guarantee equal healthcare access for all individuals is a difficult topic, I believe in a perfect world, all individuals should be able to access this. Arguments for how this would work, how it would be paid for, how it would be regulated are all issues which I’m not quite sure how it will be worked out. It could start with better education of patients, to help inform them of how the health care system works, and educate them on health and how to improve their lifestyle. If a patient was presented to an emergency setting, they should be able to access treatment without any denial of their treatment. I believe that there are pros and cons with the way to approach this situation of how this could work, and regardless many individuals would still continue to disagree/agree with how it is funded. I think that the idea of who is allowed healthcare isn’t the question, but more so, how it will be funded; which is always the in debate.

Chris Chu
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

I believe that everybody should have access to healthcare. However, there should be restrictions. We as health professionals do have a right to do what we think is best for a patient. If healthcare is denied to a patient in a medical emergency, because they do not have insurance, are not citizens or any other reason, I think that violates our duties. However, there are way too many cases where this right has been abused. If people know that they can receive healthcare without having to pay for it, then they won’t see any reason not to abuse it. If there are no restrictions put in place, this really only worsens the problem. If there was some sort of incentive to minimize this, I believe that this would decrease the abusing of this right. If individuals were taxed based on their income so that a certain amount goes towards their health insurance, then I think that people would be less apt to abuse the system because they know they are paying for it.

Brenda Simiyu

Anonymous said...

Health care in my opinion is a privilege for patients. I believe that there should be a system that decides whether or not a patient will receive free or reduced health costs. If a patient works and contributes to society positively, then they should have the right to receive that care. If they pay their taxes and are not trying to avoid the system in any way and can't afford to pay the health care bills, then the government should then be willing to pitch in. On the contrary, if a patient does not care for their health and take advantage of the governmental services, then they should be the ones to suffer. I truly believe that everyone is able to work and pitch into society. The problem is that many people take advantage when they realize that if they are lazy and don't do anything, then the government will pay for everything.

Edward Plugovoy
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

At its core, healthcare is a right. Everyone deserves to be treated, regardless of how wealthy they are. It becomes a complicated gray area when the problematic factors are incorporated such as fraud, and people that abuse the system. There is a difference in people that make an honest living, take care of themselves, but still cannot afford healthcare and people that don't work, don't take care of themselves, and can't afford health care. On the one hand, who are we to judge an individual without knowing what they've been through, but on the other hand, there are greedy people that take advantage of the system. Then there is the situation of children being denied healthcare because their parents can't afford it, which should never happen. Bottom line is the rest of the population shouldn't suffer because of a few people that abuse the system, but there is no single answer to solving this controversial question.

Anonymous said...

My biggest problem with allowing healthcare to become a right rather than a privilege is that regulations will not be sufficient. No matter how many rules or stipulations are put on it, it will always be abused, even more than it already is. We would like to think that education or other resources would help solve the problem, but just like it is now, it will continue to be abused. So what are the repercussions of this? Who suffers from it? Those that have rightfully paid for their healthcare and worked hard to take care of themselves. Also, the healthcare providers will be expected to absorb the negatives. This in turn will drive down the quality of healthcare. If a physician continually sees people abuse the healthcare they are being provided, when they are the ones essentially paying for it, they are going to build up resentment and eventually not care what kind of care they provide. We can also say that we will tell a patient that is seen multiple times for the same non-life threatening condition, that we will not see them for this anymore. But, if they come in again for a similar issue, we would be forced to help them, by law. The cycle will just continue and the only beneficiaries will be those abusing the system. The consensus of those saying that it should be a right say that we should have regulations, but no one can really say what those are because there is no black and white/yes and no answer. No regulation leads to abuse and those suffering from abuse are the ones that are acting justly. That is not any fairer than giving someone healthcare that doesn’t need it. I also understand that there are people out there who genuinely cannot afford healthcare and need help, but I also feel there are still good people who are willing to help those in need. I understand that every situation is different and there is no right or wrong answer, but I feel the benefits of having healthcare as a privilege definitely outweigh the costs. Without turning this post too political, I also have to say that if we turn healthcare into a right, that is essentially giving the government the control of our health. As it currently stands, I see it in the healthcare provider’s hands. I personally, would rather have the physician telling me what I’m entitled to over the government. After reading the articles, my opinion was not swayed, if anything only enforced. While the idea of providing healthcare as a right sounds good in theory, it is just not feasible in my opinion, especially if we also want the quality of healthcare to increase.

Christi Spivey
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe everyone should have the right to be taking care of when they are in need. No one shouldn’t be denied healthcare just because they don’t have insurance or can nit afford to pay for it. Even though a lot of people bias this process and take advantage of healthcare and costs our country a lot of money, this shouldn’t change that fact that everyone has the right of getting healthcare. To avoid the bias, I believe there should be a better way to administer the system when it comes to who needs healthcare. Because there are a lot of people who get education about what they should do to stay healthy but they wouldn’t do anything since they will get healthcare regardless.

Helen Nure
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate, 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

My ideas are more closely aligned with the second article and didn’t change much after reading the articles. I think that they bring up some good points in the second article about the need to reform Medicare and Social Security because they are going to run out of money if they keep running the way they are. I think that stabilizing people when they are in true emergencies is essentially the right to healthcare that we should have. Beyond that though, I think that healthcare is a privilege. The second article makes a good argument that society does not help everyone in this country that is hungry or homeless. It also mentions the waiting lists to be admitted into hospitals and I think that these wait lists are not very appropriate for patients needing treatment that they might need as soon as possible. If healthcare is considered to be a right, then people would go to the doctor’s office or hospital for every little ache and pain because they do not have to pay for it. It would actually prevent the people who really need the healthcare immediately from access to quick treatment. People tend to appreciate things more when they have to pay for it themselves. If things are just given to people, they don’t really respect the work it takes to buy it for themselves. Having to pay out of pocket for things makes people evaluate whether or not they need that thing or service.

Ed Svendsen
Wingate University
Doctor of pharmacy candidate
Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

From a moral perspective, I feel that healthcare should be available to everyone, regardless of financial stance, citizenship status, or any other limiting factors. It should be one’s upmost duty as a healthcare professional to provide healthcare to anyone in need. I think it would be very difficult to refuse treatment to someone who is truly in need of help, whether it’s concerning an emergency medical event or prolonged and sustained treatment. However, in reality, many obstacles prevent everyone from receiving the appropriate healthcare. For example, money is a major barrier between patients and healthcare. If a patient cannot pay for a medical procedure or is not covered by insurance, then it is very likely that the patient will not receive the medical care due to financial burdens. Thus, from a realistic stance, I see healthcare as more of a privilege. Both of the articles presented several points that I agree with. Based on the first article, I agree that healthcare should be a right and that there must be financial changes in order for this “right” to be made a reality. Furthermore, I think the Whole Foods article presented an interesting point about how we as individuals are responsible for much of our own health.

Kimberly Pullium
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Healthcare should be available for everyone and is available to everyone. However, when it comes to a more social healthcare system I tend to be against it because it is a very bad system for improved patient care. My first point would be to look at other countries who have "free" healthcare. Their countries for the most part are in a lot of debt. Also there is a wait list system for procedures such as MRI's. Wait time is determined on your injury and you could be told to wait for 18 weeks to receive treatment after a diagnosis. That doesn't sound beneficial to patients. Obviously there is tons of literature supporting both sides of this argument, but where is the freedom in not even having a choice of spending a little more for immediate treatment.
When it comes to the money issue, many people get price and cost mixed up. The way we're headed will present no price, or copay, for the patient when they receive medical attention. However, this dos not mean it doesn't cost anything! It will cost more and more as you cover more people, because nothing is really free as we all eventually realize.
This is a short summary of a couple points, and I reiterate that there are plenty of pro's and con's to both sides, but based on what I know it does not seem as though it will work.
However, I need to have more unbiased facts about the points of our healthcare system before I form a final opinion.

Jacob Gibson
PharmD candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

This idea that the US healthcare system is the best is insincere, However it is accurate to say that it is the most technologically advanced, even as other industrialized countries( all of which have Universal Healthcare provide matched or better services). The World Health Organization ranks the US 37th, below Cuba. A substantial number of Americans buy their drugs from Canada, Mexico and India or. 40,000 to 80,000 U.S. retirees have gone to Mexico for Healthcare and many more go to Israel for specialized services. I don't think it's the quality that is attractive but the cost. The reason the US healthcare is UN-AFFORDABLE is economic and political. You have LAWYERS, INSURANCE COMPANIES AND SCHOOLS (Medical, Pharmacy and Nursing). Lawyers and Insurance companies want to make a buck at any cost and Schools for OVERPRICING EDUCATION! Now, healthcare providers are more concerned about paying off that student loan, than caring about the PATIENT, the primary reason for which they chose healthcare to begin with.Bring down the cost of Education, Limits malpractice insurance and lawsuits, promote preventative care, these get almost half the problem fixed. If healthcare as a right was such a bad thing, we would have seen countless of healthcare providers from developed countries that have Universal healthcare flooding to the US. In 2004 or 2005, there was a woman in California who died at the hospital because she was unattended to. Her husband called 911, while she was at hospital, unattended, and there was nothing the dispatcher could do for her. It was one too many as far as I'm concerned. This idea that no one gets turn off in emergencies situation is insincere, it does happen so often, beyond the watches of cameras and cable news. So, many people fail to seek the help they need because we get so judgmental, fearing that they'll be called all sort of derogatory terms like leechers and moochers, suckers and lazy. And before we know it, we have mass murders and we start wondering how we could have missed the clues. Granted that healthcare providers must live too, but unless money was the primary motivation for Medical,Pharmacy, Dental or Nursing schools, then the oath we solemnly took was just pure theatrics and we should consider other lucrative career.

Etienne Matanda
PharmD candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

In my opinion I believe healthcare should be available to everyone and everyone should have the right to have access to healthcare. I don’t think we should have the right to turn someone away from getting the treatment they need if they don’t have insurance. Although if people abuse the healthcare system I think we can revoke the right for them to have healthcare. For example if people are not compliant to taking their medication and watching their health I think there should be a penalty.

After reading the articles I still believe everyone has the right to healthcare but if abused then it’s treated as a privilege and healthcare right can be revoked. Too many people are abusing the current system therefore we need to figure out a way to prevent this from constantly occurring. These individuals who are abusing the system are taking away from others who really need help. If we penalize those who are abusing the system this may deter others who are trying to abuse the system as well.


Anna Smaragdis
WUSOP class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that heath insurance is a privilege not a right. There are some people who take advantage of the system to every possible end and that should be taken away. People who do not have insurance should have to pay a percentage based off of their income, that way everyone pays what they should. It is not fair to the people who pay for insurance and have a hospital bill of $10,000 to people who live off the system and are in for the same reason and do not pay a single thing. I have friends who abuse the system and it is not fair to the people who pay for their medical bills. People who do not work and get free health care is not right. They are the ones who are really abusing the system. That is why I think that it is a privilege and not a right.

Becca Giannetti
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...







The Quote about socialism by Margaret Thatcher surprised me since she was a very prominent leader in a country that practices socialism. Her quote “the problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money,” elucidates the problem that belies any socialist country. Nature has it that naturally people will most likely take the path to least resistance in most situations. Also, when things are free they are usually abused because it doesn't cost the user or person anything.
It is based on these psychological studies that insurance companies introduced the concept of co-pays and deductibles. Their studies found that having an initial co-pay or deductible deters many people from making unnecessary doctor visits and inspires their clients to try homemade remedies first before rushing off to schedule a doctor’s visit. What they observed also was that when people had to spend their own money, they were more prudent and less likely to make unnecessary trips to see a physician.
The topic of healthcare being a right or privilege has been a hot-button issue for decades and is one of the most sensitive topics that plays into American politics and policy making. This is so because many factors feed into the problems of both ideologies. If the country decides to make healthcare a right it could get abused. On the flip side, if healthcare policies are crafted to make it a privilege, then the catch 22 sets in. People could be left to die or forced to live a lower quality of life because they couldn't afford a particular treatment, simply because they couldn't afford it.
These factors are all situations that make both ideologies sensitive. What I hope however, is that in the end, we, as a country will find a middle ground that will both help save the underprivileged in our society without hurting or costing the privileged.
Adaobi Obika
WUSOP
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

While I maintain that healthcare should available to everyone, I do understand the points made in the second article "The Whole Foods Alternative to Obamacare".
Our country has serious entitlement issues in various areas of daily living, and unfortunately health care is one of those areas. There is a problem in this country because many people do not care for themselves properly and require extra health care costs in the end. This does turn into cost that is passed down to others.
I think a combination of universal healthcare and education reform for our citizens a good way to approach this problem. If we treat ourselves better, then health care costs will go down. This makes healthcare cheaper, and it's easier to keep universal healthcare going.
This kind of fix requires multiple steps to actually change our current system. It will take many years for positive change to happen.

Rebecca English
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017

Anonymous said...

I think that everyone has the right to healthcare. I know that this can create a potential for abuse, and through that abuse a loss of profits, however, isn't it better to help help those abusers than turn away a person truly in need? It would be wonderful if there was some way to pick out these abusers and discipline them accordingly but I don't think that's a feasible option. I do think that these potential abusers can be curbed through proper education, but that education must be started early and reinforced constantly within schools and ideally homes as well. If we could work toward a more healthy population I really don't think this would even be an issue.

Mitch Speer

Anonymous said...

As a student-pharmacist I believe it is our duty to help everyone and therefore I believe that everyone should have access to healthcare. I didn't state free-healthcare because nothing is free, someone else is paying for it if you're not. I have seen people in my county, the county with the highest taxes and almost the highest unemployment in NC, abuse the system over and over again without any consequences. With that said I make my next point. If you don't work but are able to work, then you should not receive a free handout from anyone. If you work, then you have done your part and you are contributing what you can to the fund that is healthcare. If you are unable to work, and I this means that we need much stronger regulations to catch those that cheat the system, then you should get assistance. I'm not saying that we turn anyone away from assistance, but those that choose not to have insurance get the bill, not the rest of America. Then if they don't pay because they choose not to sign on to "universal" health care then they get fined. We can not pick and choose when we want healthcare and then expect the bill to be payed when an accident happens. This fine could go against their credit so that it makes it harder for them to get a new car or house or flat screen TV until the bill is payed. They could even make it into a loan and add interest over time. American's need to take ownership of their own problems and take advantage of what America has to offer them. Looking at polls from when Massachusetts enacted their version of universal healthcare, 2/3 of the population still sees it as a benefit to the state, 2/3 of doctors agree that it did not add to wait time within the offices (not that wait times were good to begin with), and although the taxes shot up in the beginning they returned to their appropriate range over time. ~98% of Massachusetts now has healthcare. Regardless of what the politics say, something needs to change. From a medical stand point, a patient centered stand point, something needs to change.

Matthew Ryan Quick
WUSOP co 2017

Anonymous said...

I think that a certain level of access to health care should be guaranteed to everyone in the U.S. beyond one’s nationality or legal or insurance status, including non-documented people and foreign tourists in the U.S. As the citizens of the U.S. pay their taxes, they must have better access to health care. In our democratic principle and capitalism, the reasonable and fair treatment – we can get as much as we pay – in medical service can be acceptable according to social agreements.
The authors of the articles are focused on regular and common health care services rather than urgent or emergency health care. In general, my thoughts are aligned with the authors in terms of the individual responsibility for one’s health care and insurance payment. I agree that the government cannot guarantee the health care for the whole people in the U.S. However, their agendas seem to be preoccupied on economic principles. I hope that we have more focus on human dignity and equitable health benefits for everyone in the U.S.

Ae kyung Lee
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

As a pre-professional in health care, it is my hope that everyone has access to healthcare. With that being said, I don’t think that anyone should be GIVEN free healthcare. I believe that citizens in the working force and their families should always have healthcare rights. By working, they are contributing to taxes and therefore healthcare privileges. However, I disagree with the fact that in many cases today our healthcare system is thoroughly abused. I think there should be tighter control on essentially “free healthcare.” If people are able to work, but choose not to they should not get the privilege of having anything given to them. In the case of people being disabled and therefore unable to work, they should have access to healthcare rights. The second article highlights a great point, we as individuals are responsible for a great percentage of our own health. Therefore, I think healthcare is a privilege and it should not be someone else’s responsibility to ensure that others who are not making an effort for themselves or for their families have healthcare given to them.

Meagan Scott
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that health care is both a right and a privilege. I think that everyone should be entitled to healthcare, however, I do not believe that it should be provided to those who will not help themselves. Healthcare is a huge necessity these days with the increased costs of healthcare services, however, it should only be provided to those who work for it. From the very beginning of my life, my parents have always taught me that for everything that you want in life, you have to work for it. I believe the same thing is true for healthcare. I believe that all patients should receive the best health care possible and I realize that some patients cannot afford the care that they need. I feel that we should help all those individuals who are working hard and trying their best to improve their lives. However, on the other hand, those individuals who want to sit at home all day and not work, then they do not deserve the privilege of health care. I do realize that many individuals abuse our healthcare system, and I believe that the emergency rooms in our hospitals are being abused. There comes a time when you need to limit the amount of healthcare that individuals obtain if they are not contributing to the system and paying their bills back. This may be harsh, but I believe that it should be provided to those who are in real need of it and who are willing to work to keep that privilege.

Amanda Bradsher
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

In most situations I do not think access to health care should be guaranteed. Although I believe that anyone presenting to the emergency department with a true emergency should receive at least stabilizing treatment, patients should have to repay for the services later. Free health care will decrease the quality of health care. Physicians and other health care professionals will receive decreased pay which will negatively affect the care provided. Additionally, free health care will result in people taking advantage of the system. Individuals may take less preventative steps to maintain their health or utilize the health care system irrationally. However, I think it is acceptable to create ways to make healthcare affordable. This especially applies to those that can’t afford it but are making efforts to do so and not abusing the system.

Laura Bowers
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

I believe that health care should be provided to everyone, however, it is definitely considered a privilege and there are many issues that would have to be addressed to provide everyone health care. Many people already take advantage of health care and if it was provided to everyone even more people would take advantage of it. Some sort of regulations would have to be in place to make sure the system was not abused. However, anyone experiencing a true medical emergency should at least receive stabilizing treatment no matter their insurance status or citizenship status. The two articles did not really alter my beliefs on this topic.

Justin Ledford
WUSOP Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017

Anonymous said...

I disagree with the fact that everyone should have the privilege of healthcare. The healthcare system is rampantly abused and the needs of few should not be compromised for the greater good. On another note a patient should never be allowed to suffer in an emergency situation such as a hospital situation may present. The life of the patient should always over rule any monetary issue. In the end the simple fact is that our country is in a disgusting amount of debt and healthcare for everyone would have to compromise quality of healthcare for quantity. Overall everyone would suffer from a further depressed economy and a low quality of healthcare compared to what we have now.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with the fact that everyone should have the privilege of healthcare. The healthcare system is rampantly abused and the needs of few should not be compromised for the greater good. On another note a patient should never be allowed to suffer in an emergency situation such as a hospital situation may present. The life of the patient should always over rule any monetary issue. In the end the simple fact is that our country is in a disgusting amount of debt and healthcare for everyone would have to compromise quality of healthcare for quantity. Overall everyone would suffer from a further depressed economy and a low quality of healthcare compared to what we have now.

Chris Murphy
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I think healthcare is a privilege. Our world revolves around money. Nothing is free. Healthcare is not free. Tests cost money, preventative care costs money, drugs cost money. Are we going to give that stuff away for free? If health care were a "right" then the money to pay for this influx of patients would have to come from somewhere. Quality would go down in healthcare and we would have long wait times for care. People could potentially die waiting for care. I do think in emergency situations care should be provided to individuals but that a system should be in place to prevent overuse of the system.
Wendy Sanchezruiz
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Everyone will die at some point. It is merely just a matter of what from. While it is often the privilege of the minority to sustain life through means that usually require significant finances, it is within no one’s power to avoid death completely. It is a grim truth, but healthcare is a privilege. As a society, we agree that death is bad and life is good. Life is sustained through having a healthy body. Bodies are considered healthy, if upon testing, the outcome of the test values fall within a range medically considered normal function. Normal values equal normal function equal healthy person. The professionals that monitor these “health values” and the facilities where they practice are what make up the healthcare system. The idea that everyone can have treatment for his or her health is unrealistic. The healthcare system is a physical entity with limitations to the amount of patients it can treat. The technology and education associated with healthcare is costly. As a result of the supply and demand ratio and the expenses associated with sustaining and advancing the healthcare system, prices for health services will never be cheap enough for everyone to afford every health service. As a result, some people will not be able to afford health services. Those that can afford it will have access to different levels of care based on what they can afford.

Basic healthcare in my opinion is a limited right. In regards to health maintenance, I believe everyone should have access to medical professionals that can provide them guidance and therapies. However, I feel that it is the patient’s responsibility to find methods of maintenance care that they can afford. That said, certain patient populations such as those with disabilities or the elderly should be assisted through societal measures. Unfortunately, many people have abused assistance programs, leaving fewer resources available for those who truly need it. In emergent conditions, I believe everyone has the right to treatment to return the body to a stable condition, regardless of the ability to pay. Advanced treatment and therapies used to sustain life are unfortunately available only to those people who have the means to pay for the service. It is a grim truth, but many of the services a healthcare system provides are in fact a privilege to those who can afford it.

Tyler Billings

Anonymous said...

I believe that health care is both a right and privilege. I think that everyone should have a right to have healthcare, but it should also be a privilege that can be taken away. If someone is abusing the system and not doing anything to change their health condition, then their right to healthcare should be taken from them. If you do not give people a reason to not abuse the healthcare system, then they will; it is human nature. However, if we make it to where the healthcare can be taken away, then people are more likely to take care of themselves and adhere to healthcare guidelines. Another thing that can be done is to educate patients on the importance of adhering to their medicines and wellness plan. Of course, not all people care about being educated and improving their health and I believe that there should be a penalty or punishment for this. Initially, there should be small penalties for obvious abuse of the system or lack of adherence, but if the problem continues, then further action should be taken (ie. Suspending health care). This suspension should not be permanent , but should be long enough to make sure a lesson is learned and that the patient understands the consequences of their actions.

Trent Tysinger
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I think health care is a privilege and a right. I think in terms of life or death, a patient should be treated regardless of their insurance status. However, in maintenance situations, health care should only be given to those who follow the laws and pay for their own insurance. It is frustrating to see the amount of people that take advantage of the health care system, and it will eventually cause damage if people continue to do this. Patients need to become more educated about their health care, so they can learn to take it seriously. Some patients do not want to take an active role in their own health, and this poses a problem to the system. This takes away from the care that other compliant patients would be receiving. One exception I would apply to this would be involving children. I think regardless of the child’s situation, they should not be denied health care. Having said that, as a majority, I think health care is a privilege for those who chose to pay and comply with their plans.

Jordan Richmond
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Unknown said...

I feel that it is necessary for everyone to have health care. However, there are many people who feel it is okay to abuse this right. With that there comes a breaking point in considering health care a right or privilege. I agree with the article saying that it should be a right to everyone but there should be supplemental plans available to those who choose to obtain more health care with more specialized benefits pertaining to them. When there are people out there that have no money to purchase a health care plan, there should be options available to them in order to get them adequate help. Now, there are clinics and shelters that can help those dealing with poverty but those individuals don't always know that these options are available. If everyone had some form of health care, we would all know that we have a way to get help, even without paying. In order to address the issue of people abusing a free health care plan, I feel that it should be appropriate for a physician or pharmacist to deny certain services if we know that the patient is trying to get drugs to use abusively. I feel that we, as health care providers, should be educators. We should be able to help others and try to treat their illnesses by educating them on the right practices. However, we cannot cure an addiction. After we have helped and educated an abuser, I think we should be able to deny any further health care assistance. I feel that it should be a right to have a minimum health care policy as a right to everyone for basic assistance and then optional plans available for those who would like more coverage and help.

Anonymous said...

I believe that healthcare is a privilege. Many patients take advantage of the care that is provided to them. Of course there are the extreme cases of patients that continue to smoke, drink, abuse their bodies, etc. knowing the risks involved with their behavior. Providing healthcare is an expensive process and unfortunately cannot be provided to everyone in every situation. When a patient is presented to the emergency room in need of stabilization, care should be provided as we should not decide who lives and who dies. In situations when healthcare is not a dire need, the patient should have insurance to cover medical expenses.

Maegan Wells
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

I believe everyone should have the right to healthcare service, but not free benefits of healthcare. It's a privileged that people should not take for granted because there are other locations of the world in which healthcare is very limited. If this privilege becomes a right for everyone, this could cause for an arise in abuse. Also, I believe that if one is in a life or death situation, one should be treated regardless of whether that person has health insurance/coverage or not. The purpose of healthcare professionals is to help and improve the lives of individuals. If we turn them away because of their lack of healthcare insurance, we are not doing anything to help them.

Anonymous said...

I believe everyone should have the right to healthcare service, but not free benefits of healthcare. It's a privileged that people should not take for granted because there are other locations of the world in which healthcare is very limited. If this privilege becomes a right for everyone, this could cause for an arise in abuse. Also, I believe that if one is in a life or death situation, one should be treated regardless of whether that person has health insurance/coverage or not. The purpose of healthcare professionals is to help and improve the lives of individuals. If we turn them away because of their lack of healthcare insurance, we are not doing anything to help them.

Sheng Vue
WUSOP Class 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe healthcare should be provided to people are really in need of it. On the other hand, there are individuals who would take advantage of those rights. I know a family friend of mine who tends go to hospital before time of labor during pregnancy, and admit that she does not have job and no care taker. This says that she will not pay when the bill will arrive in mail, and the fact is that she has everything. As a healthcare provider, hospital provides the same type of service and care to her as they do to people who do not abuse the rights of healthcare. To prevent those individuals from abusing the rights of healthcare, those individuals need to get educated. Furthermore, government can step in to this issue to resolve. If I was to take a step, I would say that person should be penalized for taking advantage of healthcare, and taking that right from a individual who really need that care.

Shruti S. Desai
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Ideally, it would be great if healthcare is available to everyone as a right; however, I think it very difficult to provide a good healthcare service to everyone. Providing healthcare to everyone will decrease the healthcare cost in the long term due to allowing people to receive regular and preventive medical care. Therefore, the rate of chronic diseases like diabetes, obesity, cancer, stokes will reduced. However, on the other hand, making healthcare a right would lead to an increase in demand for health care which can cause healthcare professionals overstretched. Also it would decrease the quality of health care serviced provided. In addition, it take a lot of money to make healthcare available to everyone, so it is more likely we will have to increase tax on people.

Tram Dang
WUSOP Class of 2017

Unknown said...

I believe that healthcare is a right of all individuals. After having read the articles, my opinions have not changed. While I can understand the viewpoints of each article, I believe that any person serving in healthcare should be empathetic towards their patients regardless of the situation. I believe there should be a balance for everything (e.g. The Force). While healthcare providers should provider care to those in need, there should also be a system in place to prevent fraud, waste, and abuse which is a huge financial burden on our healthcare system. I have not worked in the hospital setting, but my friends (nurses) who work in the ER frequently tell me stories of people coming in for the smallest of medical issues. The hospitals typically do not deny these people and thus they end up eating the costs associated with caring for these types of people. Some people are just uneducated and do not know anything else than the ER and then there are those who knowingly abuse the system knowing that they can get care without being sought after financially. Our healthcare system should do a better job of educating the population about self-care and when they should actually present to the ER. This would ultimately decrease the cost on healthcare which could potentially free up funds for more serious cases for people in real need. In the end, I do not think I could deny anyone healthcare who is truly in need.

Unknown said...

I do not think healthcare should be guaranteed to everyone. I think it should be available and possibly tailored/altered for specific individuals, but I do not think everyone should be granted healthcare. People are going to complain about it, just as they are now with the Affordable Care Act. If people do not want to obtain healthcare, then I think they should suffer the consequences. This may sound morbid or un-empathetic, but if you do not want to take care of yourself with preventative measures, then I do not think you should be able to have access to hospitals or emergency departments. You have to take an active role in your health and thinking “it won’t happen to me” is stupid. The main issue probably has to do with education on healthcare, but this is America and that just will not happen. There are points of the AHA paper that I agree with, like no US citizen should be denied access to healthcare. However, I do not see healthcare as an entitlement. Healthcare is something that was thought of and proved beneficial to us. However, we should be taking care of our bodies and maintaining our own health without trying to rely on the healthcare system to take care of us. I see the healthcare system, as being there for emergencies, preventative measures, and letting us know that we are on the right track of being healthy. The article from the “The Wall Street Journal” is more of where my stance is when it comes to the healthcare in our country. I think people should understand how expensive it is to use medical services, so that they can be aware and not run up costs by going to the ED for a paper cut. Maybe I just feel negativity towards this topic because I have seen so many people who put horrible things into their body and expect the medical field to give them a fast fix.

Anonymous said...

Access to healthcare should be available to all in some capacity. People that are indigent should be allowed to have a basic amount of healthcare if they present to a public healthcare facility. If there are specialized private healthcare facilities that have an open door policy to indigent people, then they should be afforded whatever healthcare that is available to them. People that have premium insurance should be afforded whatever healthcare that is available to them as well. My opinions really did not change after reading either article. I feel like we should care for our fellow man and perform whatever charity that we can afford to do. That is all that we can do.

Christopher Stewart
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I think that healthcare is both a right and a privilege. We should not be able to turn away people when they have an emergency and really need care. There are some people who abuse the system, and I do not think that this is okay. Something needs to be done about this because it is not fair. If one is able to work and doesn’t and if they also are not trying to better themselves, then I think that their healthcare privilege should be taken away. If one is not able to work, then I think that they should still be able to get healthcare. It would be hard to regulate something like this.

Courtney Harrell
WUSOP 2017

Thuy Nguyen said...

I do believe that everyone has a right to healthcare, whether or not patients have insurance, US citizens, different age, race or colors. After having read the viewpoint of each article, my opinions does not change because I consider a person’s life is the most important and valuable thing in the world; especially people who work in healthcare field must have responsibility to take care of patient’s life. Let’s say we are walking on the road and see someone asks our helps to save their life. As a pharmacist what will we do? Ignore them or stop to ask him if he has money to pay you back and then deciding to save him or not? Of course, we must save that person no matter what. However, on the other hand, I do not regret that we should be balance between those patients who really need our healthcare and preventing abuse or fraud to save money that we can use to help for poor people.

THUY NGUYEN
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe health care should be a privilege. If you value your health you'd pay for it. But I also understand how some people cannot afford it. For this problem, to demonstrate that people valued their health it should be shown by how much of their salary they are willing to spend on it. There should be different levels of healthcare depending on the percentage of your salary that you are willing to spend. For example those that put 50% of their salary towards health care, regardless of their salary should receive more benefits from their health care than those that put in 2% of their salary.

People die everyday, healthcare is a privilege it isn’t a right. It can help improve the quality of life but is not necessary. For instance my quality of life would be better if I lived in a mansion but I can't afford it so I don’t, it’s not necessary. I use less of my salary on housing because it's less important to me. Those that don’t care enough about their health may have a poorer quality of life when they are sick because they don’t have medicine to help. Even with healthcare sometimes people die, thats the way life is. It should be a privilege so that those that care about a better quality of life when it comes to their health can pay for it.

Mimi Le
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

Healthcare insurance is becoming more and more important as the cost of medical care increases. While it is important, it is not a right. No one should ever be able to say that they have a right to someone else's services. Physicians, pharmacists, and other health professionals work very hard for their credentials and spend a lot of time working. A sense of entitlement is growing, and I hope that it doesn't strangle our already weakened small pharmacies.

Michael Russell
WUSOP Class of 2017