Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pharmacy Robbery

This is a timely topic, as evidenced by this story. Pharmacies are often at an increased risk of robbery due to the expensive medications and controlled substances kept behind the counter. We are often confronted with drug seeking behavior and learn how to deal with it effectively, but how about when we cross the line into armed robbery?

Some pharmacists have decided that enough is enough. This case in particular was a very controversial one, and I'm sure we'll have good discussion of it.

There is an interesting resource I thought everyone would find useful as we discuss this topic and as you progress throughout your pharmacy careers. It is called RxPATROL, and it stands for Rx Pattern Analysis Tracking Robberies & Other Losses. It was started by Purdue Pharma, and its primary purpose is as a central repository for data relating to pharmacy crime. You can view recent activity and report activity to be included in their database. The site has some good videos to watch regarding pharmacy safety, and they also have a Twitter feed.

Should all pharmacists have access to weapons to protect themselves and their employees and patients in case of a robbery? What is the best thing to do if you find yourself in one of these situations?

55 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find defending yourself in this type of situation obvious. On the other hand, I do not believe a firearm is the safest way to do so. I think pharmacies should be equipped similarly to banks. Also having the staff trained for these situations would be beneficial. As a person that has had experience with a local pharmacy broken into, preparedness was the greatest contributor to safety. I do not think the safety needs to be as extensive as entering a prison or necessarily the airport. Overall safety is a primary concern and education is essential.

Monica White
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

I agree with Monica's statement that firearms may not be the safest way for pharmacists to defend themselves. You never know what people are capable of and I think this could lead to greater problems; the pharmacist may feel obligated to use the weapon even if it wasn't necessary, if customers who have intentions of robbing the pharmacy know that guns are there it may propel them to bring more dangerous weapons as well, and overall it would require more responsibility for pharmacists. Also, where would these weapons be kept and how would pharmacists be able to get to these weapons in time to protect themselves? I feel that firearms would cause more harm than protection. However, I do believe there needs to be increased safety in pharmacies and pharmacists need to have some sort of plan in case something was to happen.

Whitney C. Smith
Wingate University School of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate, Class of 2017

Jessie Burger said...

In my opinion, having access to weapons in the pharmacy probably won't do much benefit. If a gunman comes into the pharmacy and you, as the pharmacist, pull out a gun, he's probably more likely to shoot you than if you weren't to have a gun. The pharmacist becomes more of a threat to the robber if they are armed. Often, robbers who have guns don't use them, they just have them there to have more control over the victims present.
However, it is still good to defend yourself in whatever way you can. Being prepared before situations happen would be the best way to advocate defense. The team in the pharmacy should be trained to a certain plan and what actions should be taken during these times, just depending on the pharmacy.

Anonymous said...

I believe that pharmacists should have access to weapons and firearms. I see the points where Whitney and Monica say that it could be a potential harm involving safety, but who says that people need to know that there are weapons and firearms in the pharmacy. If the pharmacist has a concealed weapons permit, then no one needs to know that there is a gun behind the counter. I believe the pharmacist is responsible enough to know when and when not to use a firearm. There are so many popular medications behind the counter at a pharmacy that there is no surprise that there are so many robberies occurring. That's why there is a safe to house the scheduled drugs, but it's not like you can put all the medications into a safe. Unless someone can think of an alternative to make pharmacies a safer place, then I feel that firearms is the best choice of safety at the moment. A robbery can occur at any moment at any time and I believe that the pharmacist should be able to defend him/herself as well as other employees.

Ashmira Patel
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

Pharmacists should have the right to protect themselves and their employees in the case of a robbery. Personally, I plan to get my concealed carry license soon after I graduate from pharmacy school because with a job such as a pharmacist also comes the risk of being robbed. Not to mention that I am also a female, which means I am "weaker" so I will be even more of a target for robbery. I would feel safer carrying a weapon with me because in a situation such as robbery, I would be able to defend myself quickly. In the situation where the pharmacist has given a life sentence for shooting himself, I see where the jury and judge could see shooting the robber 5 times after he was laying on the floor could be seen as excessive, but I still don't believe that it should be considered murder. While in a situation such as being robbed, one doesn't think about what they're doing, they are simply acting to defend themselves. Fear can drive you to do things without thinking, such as shoot someone too many times. I am an advocate for pharmacists carrying weapon.

Andrea Huneycutt
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

I don't think pharmacists should be allowed to have firearms. I think this would cause more harm than good. Can you imagine as pharmacists having to go through gun training before starting the job? That completely contradicts the basis of our career and the goal to uphold professionalism. The defense mechanism should be to call the police, who are trained to handle guns. Another alternative to guns are tranquilizers. That way, the persons life is not in jeopardy, but the amount of damage they can cause can be controlled. Also, another defense mechanism is having a security guard at night. That way, robbers will be less likely to attempt to rob that particular store and the employees would not be in danger.

Carrie Tilton
WUSOP Class of 2017

Cheryl Gentry said...

Pharmacy robbery is one of my major fears when it comes to working in a community setting. When someone is a drug seeker and dependent on a medication, there is no telling what lengths they will go to in order to get these drugs.
I am a firm believer in pharmacists being able to have anything and everything to prevent and/or protect from robberies, including security systems, surveillance cameras, and guns. I do believe that it should be based on personal opinion of each pharmacist if they wish to have that available to them, and they should be required to go through training and safety classes.
I think it is very important to know when it is appropriate to use weapons, though, as seen in the case posted. I only think you should shoot a robber if you feel like your life is at risk. I do not think it is necessary to shoot someone multiple times once they are no longer a harm to you, or run after a robber that is fleeing the scene.

Anonymous said...

I believe that it is necessary for all pharmacies to have a predetermined emergency plan in the instance of robbery. As to the details of such an emergency strategy, I think all pharmacies should be required to have a means by which authorities and law enforcement can be contacted in a discrete manner if help is needed. I know that some pharmacies have a “panic button” behind the counter, and it seems appropriate for all pharmacies to be required to have some form of alert system. Due to the growing issue of drug addiction, I feel that pharmacy robbery is a major problem, but there are ways in which it can be prevented. I think that pharmacists should have access to weapons in order to protect themselves and others within the pharmacy. With this access to weapons, pharmacists should possess the proper training and permit required to handle a firearm. In my personal opinion, having a firearm behind the pharmacy counter would make pharmacists feel safer and more comfortable, especially when working in geographical settings where crime is high. I think that the best thing to do in robbery situations is to comply with the robber, especially if the individual has a weapon or is threatening to harm someone. I feel that safety and people’s lives should be put above all else.

Kimberly Pullium
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

I think that everybody should have the right to protect themselves (including pharmacists) as long as they are within the law. I think that if a pharmacist does decide to carry a gun, it should be concealed. It should be concealed because if a robber knows that the pharmacist is armed and they do decide to rob that pharmacy, they might just come in shooting. I believe that pharmacists are qualified to carry firearms to protect themselves and are competent to know when and when not to use it, just like any other responsible, law-abiding gun owner. Obviously, carrying a firearm comes with this responsibility. For example, if a pharmacist is getting robbed, they shouldn’t just pull their gun out and start shooting blindly because they might hit customers or other innocent people. One of the cardinal rules of safety when firing a gun is to know where your bullet is going to end up. If you don’t know where your bullet is going to go, then it is your responsibility to not shoot. Therefore, a pharmacist getting robbed should be calculated about if and or when they are going to pull their gun and if or when they are going to shoot it. The pharmacist in the article who got charged with murder was in the wrong. I feel as though shooting the one robber was justified, but he should not have chased the other robbers away and he definitely should not have shot the robber that he had already shot and neutralized any more times. If he would not have shot the downed robber any more times, then I believe he would not have been charged and it would have been a justified self-defense case (although he shouldn’t have chased the other robbers and fired at them). So I do feel that pharmacists should have the right to choose whether or not they want to be armed or not, but they should definitely be trained in the proper handing and use of firearms. The way I look at it, not all criminals are just going to come and steal medication and then just leave. Some criminals, like hardened gang members, are so desensitized to killing people that they really don’t care either way if they kill you or not. People have a right to protect themselves against people like this and if these criminals have guns, you are going to need a gun to protect yourself against them. I don’t feel as though pharmacists should have to give up their rights when they work in a pharmacy, which is why I feel that pharmacists should be allowed to carry a gun if they choose to. Pharmacists should however, think about the safety of everyone in the store and the possible consequences of pulling a gun out before they do so.

Ed Svendsen
WUSOP
PharmD Candidate
Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with the current gun laws already established at chain pharmacies to begin with. We should be allowed to carry firearms or at least be allowed to store our weapons on the premise of our workplace. Having said this I believe we should have harder regulations on carrying weapons/firearms in the first place. Once one is properly trained to safety use firearms and passes the right courses to be allowed to carry them, they should be allowed to do so. Being able to defend yourself is a right and responsibility so I don't see a problem with allowing it in the pharmacy. Eventhough the last thing I would want to do is use my weapon, if put in the situation where it was necessary it's something you would have to be prepared to do.

Matthew Thompson

Anonymous said...

As someone who has been robbed twice at gun points at my earlier years in this country while working at convenience stores, I am a strong advocate of self defense and right to carry conceal. I was blessed that I was never shot at, but so many people have never been so lucky.Robbery is a strong violation of a person sense of safety, but also the sense of helplessness it brings to a person being robbed. I fervently disagreed with the verdict in the mentioned case. Following a robbery, a victim is not in a right mind, and robbers do not have a sense of civic responsibility or community living, and this is why the rob in the first place. Pharmacists are just not vulnerable to "gangsters," but anyone with a strong craving for medication, including people with mental impairment, will do anything to get their medications. Although, it is very radical, I agree with the old saying;" Better be tried by 12 people, than being carried by 13."

Etienne Matanda

Anonymous said...

I feel that it is only right that pharmacists can defend themselves with firearms. The job that we are getting ourselves into is very risky and not all people might notice that. If someone ever came up to me and pointed a gun into my face, I would not want to just sit there and give them what they want. I feel that it is our job to serve our town the best that we can and contributing to illegal activity, despite if it is our fault or not, is not something that I see as fair, nor right.
-Taylor Morrisette

Anonymous said...

Firearms are not the answer to everything, but I do believe they should be allowed to protect yourself in times when it is necessary. Pharmacists should be allowed to carry concealed weapons as long as they have a permit and have gone through necessary training. It is also important to know when it is appropriate to use a weapon. Pharmacies should also have emergency safety plans in place for instances when there is potential danger, such as security systems and surveillance cameras. I know one of the pharmacies at home has a gun concealed in the back as well as a panic button underneath the front counter. When my sister was in high school, she was held at gunpoint and locked in a freezer while at work by a guy that went to school with her. I have also had a close friend robbed twice while out in public. There are people in this world that will do anything to get what they want, especially for medicine. Therefore, we should be able to protect and defend ourselves, as well as take precautionary measures in order to make us feel more safe and comfortable.

Summer Powell
Doctorate of Pharmacy Candidate
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

Although I believe we do have the right to defend ourselves, I actually think that having guards or armed security in pharmacies would be a better alternative than pharmacists having concealed weapons. While I think it should be an option for pharmacists to carry a weapon if they go through the necessary training, I do not think it should be a requirement because individuals that are inexperienced with firearms could be a danger to themselves and others. If I were to get robbed,
I would give the robber what they
want and call the police.
It is not worth standing up to a robber and risking peoples lives when they aren't going to make it very far before the cops catch them anyway.

Taylor Peterman
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

I believe that you should be allowed to carry a weapon when you are working in the pharmacy. Too many people think it’s easy to rob a pharmacy because they know pharmacist and technician don’t have a weapon and can be easily intimidated if someone comes in to rob them with a weapon. I do believe pharmacist who work the overnight shift and those who work in unsafe neighborhoods should definitely be armed. I think corporate pharmacies like Walgreens and CVS should have a security guard placed in all pharmacies to try and deter robbers from stealing controlled medications. With that being said pharmacy companies should come up with safety precautions to help ensure the safety of their pharmacists.

Anna Smaragdis
WUSOP Doctor of Pharmacy candidate 2017

Anonymous said...

I do think that pharmacists should be able to carry a firearm to protect themselves, their employees, and innocent bystanders if they have a concealed carry license. I do think that they should be trained to use the weapon and practice with it regularly. Accidents happen when someone is not fully familiar and comfortable in using their weapon. If someone is not comfortable with it they should not carry. I think you also should be able to assess situations and make the best choices in high stress situations. I think in second news story we were shown that pharmacist totally went over what was necessary in that situation. I think everyone should have the right to defend himself or herself no matter where they are. If they are comfortable and trained to use a firearm they should be able to use it for self-defense in their home, at work, or in public areas when they feel their life is in danger.
Wendy Sanchezruiz
WUSOP
PharmD candidate 2017

Anonymous said...

While pharmacy robberies are a prominent issue in society, I am compelled to agree with several previous comments that guns are not the best solution for protection. Guns seems to pose more of a threat than a solution. There is a greater personal and financial responsibility that comes with the use of guns as pharmacists would have to go through training and proper usage of the weapon. Also, you never know what technicians and even customers are capable of doing with a gun present in the pharmacy. Most robbers invade a pharmacy with an armed weapon to establish a sense of dominance and control, however their intentions are usually to gain access to scheduled drugs rather than harming individuals. If pharmacists had guns for protection, the gunman may be more tempted to use a gun out of panic or fear of being harmed. This could potentially lead to more deadly robberies than necessary. Thus, while safety is important, I think pharmacists as well as the rest of the pharmaceutical staff should go through personal safety training modules to increase their awareness and knowledge on how to best handle threatening situations. However, I think that protection should mainly come from the police force. Pharmacies could potentially invoke a "silent alarm" system similar to banks to notify the police when there is a life-threatening situation. This would enable access to assistance without any knowledge to the robber. Safety is a necessity, but I don't believe guns are the best route to take.

Kelli Ferguson
WUSOP PharmD Candidate
Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I do believe that pharmacists should be able to protect themselves from robberies. In the case of chain pharmacies (i.e. Walgreens, CVS) I d not think that firearms are necessarily the best way to go about it. They are less likely to get robbed because, usually there is a high volume of people during the day. Robberies tend to happen when there aren't as many people around. Firearms however, I think, are definitely a good idea in independent pharmacies or those in more rural, less populated areas. However, with this right, it comes with a responsibility. Not just anybody should be able to have a gun. If a pharmacist does,they should know how to use it and the liability that comes with it.
-Brenda Simiyu

Anonymous said...

I think that pharmacists don’t necessarily need a gun in order to protect themselves and patients in case of a robbery. This can cause actually more problems. Most often in times of robbery gunmen don’t use their guns as it is more of a scare tactic. With the increased chance of us as pharmacists having a gun could mean that, the gunmen are more likely to fire there weapon in the right of their defense. I think that pharmacists could have other alterative weapons such as stunt guns. This will not harm someone’s life in the process. There also needs to be measures of safety taken into account for each pharmacy such as buttons all around that notify police right away. In addition, everyone should be aware of precautionary protocols that work in the pharmacy. Implementing a safety system for all pharmacies will help in times of robberies.

Kelly Fuhrmann
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that pharmacists should have the right to protect themselves. I also believe that this can include various types of protection with or without weapons. I believe that the amount of protection that a pharmacy or pharmacist should have depends greatly on the location of the pharmacy. In some areas I believe that a security alarm system will suffice but in areas that have more crime there should be more extreme methods of protection used. For instance, a pharmacy could be equipped with a security alarm and have a guard on duty. I don't agree that weapons should be introduced into the pharmacy simply because you want your patients to feel as if they are in a safe place and that will be hard to do when there are weapons visible in the pharmacy. Having said that I do believe that every person has a right to carry a weapon so long as they are discreet about it. Another problem that I could see with having weapons in the pharmacy is that they could be used by someone else to rob the pharmacy. Ultimately I believe that introducing a weapon into the pharmacy could lead to more harm than good.

Kim Coe
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

I don't think its a good idea for pharmacists to have guns behind the counter. I'm not against guns at all but I think in these situations they can escalate things quickly and cause outcomes that might have been avoided. I don't hear many stories about pharmacy robbery that include someone being shot and killed. Most of the time when a pharmacy is robbed no body is injured. I realize you lose money but if no one is dead and the person is caught, we should be happy. The story about the pharmacist being found guilty of murder is a good example of how having a gun and escalate the situation very quickly into something it doesn't have to be. When in a robbery I think the smartest thing is to calmly listen to the demands and fulfill them, while trying to memorize as many details as possible. Comply with the thieves in a slow and steady way to ensure the safety of your co-workers and yourself.

Mitch Speer

Anonymous said...

I also agree that pharmacies should not have guns. It is too dangerous. If a pharmacist pulls out a gun while the gun man has a gun, the gun man is more than likely going to shoot. There are better ways to handle the situation. You can have a plan in the pharmacy that all the employees understand and know what to do. I am just like Cheryl, I fear this aspect of retail pharmacy. From 2006 to 2010, pharmacy robberies have rose over 80% and that scares me. I do believe that pharmacists need to defend themselves, but not by the use of guns.
Rebecca Giannetti
Wingate University School of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate, Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that pharmacists should be able to have some means of defense when they are in the pharmacy. I have never been in this situation personally, but I know a pharmacist who has. He said that if he had some form of defense he would have most likely been able to prevent this robbery. Not all robbers have guns; however, if the pharmacist has one it may decrease the amount of robberies that occur because if the criminal knows the pharmacy is equipped with a firearm, they would be less likely to attempt the robbery. If pharmacists are not allowed to have firearms, I feel like they should be able to have a different form of defense, whatever that may be. I see the other side as well, however. I understand that it can cause more harm than benefit. I do believe that this would be the case if pharmacists get carried away but I do not think everyone should be punished for the poor judgment of the few. The article mentioned that the pharmacist shot the guy five times. This is an example of a pharmacist who got carried away. The media has tendencies to only show the negative aspect of things such as this and neglect to pay attention to negative occurrences that were dealt with in the best possible manner. Overall, I think that allowing pharmacists to carry firearms to work would increase the safety of the pharmacy.

Ashley Severt
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Judging from the desperate nature of the robbery in the news article, it is clear that many who rob pharmacies may possibly not be in their right minds. Many are drug addicted and may be in withdrawal mode looking to steal a quick fix.
Personally, the idea that I could be in harm’s way just by showing up at my job makes me weary. Certainly, with the increased incidence of robberies, I believe that pharmacies should have increased security. This could range from having a police officer stationed in the premises round the clock to armed guards stationed inside to deter any would be robbers. Or, if this measure seems too extreme, the pharmacies could be wired with surveillance cameras. This will indeed help deter many who may be motivated by the idea that they could get away with it.
Finally, the idea of carrying a gun scares me. However, if I am trained and authorized to use it to defend myself, I certainly will have no choice than to pull the trigger if need be.
Adaobi Obika
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
WUSOP 2017

Mary Lor said...

I think we can all agree that every pharmacy should have a plan during these kinds of situations. Therefore I believe pharmacists should have the right to carry a weapon, such as a gun, in the pharmacy if they know that the threat is there. For example, if they've been robbed before at gunpoint or with some other weapon. Carrying a weapon for defense reasons shouldn't be seen as a problem because you never know who is going to walk through those doors.

Anonymous said...

I definitely believe that all pharmacies should have a set plan in case of a robbery. Therefore, I also believe that pharmacists should have the right to carry a gun if they choose to do so. Only if they undergo proper training before they carry it into a pharmacy. I have my concealed handgun permit and I believe that since I have the proper training, underwent background checks and everything to obtain my permit I should be able to carry it to protect myself and others. I think that pharmacies should offer there pharmacists the opportunity to take a concealed handgun class and once they have obtained their permit they should be able to have it in the pharmacy.

Justin Ledford
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that being robbed while working in a pharmacy is a very serious danger to consider. There are many drugs that have a high potential for abuse and many of these drug seekers will do anything in their power to get the drugs. I believe that pharmacies should have better security with cameras, security guards on watch and be able to conceal a gun if they have a conceal carry permit and wish to do so. I feel that it should be up to the pharmacist if they want to conceal a handgun. Also, it seems that many of the robberies occur very late at night when there will not be many people in the store and there will not be many people working in the store. If many robberies are occurring in the same pharmacy it may be beneficial for the pharmacy to have normal hours and not be opened over night. This may help to cut down on the amount of
robberies.

Melissa Janis
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that when it comes to weapons in a pharmacy, a pharmacist should have the right to protect themselves with a gun since they are in a high risk environment. However, with the responsibility of having a gun also comes the responsibility of knowing how to use it and how not to use it. Before a pharmacist can have a gun, they should have to take courses for general safety and usage of a gun. This way, the pharmacist doesn't end up harming themselves or others when confronted with the situation.

Personally, I have narrowly avoided a pharmacy I was working at being robbed. Over the summer, I often covered shifts for a CVS in Ballantyne at Hunter's Crossing. One morning I was supposed to cover a shift, but called in sick the previous day. The pharmacist I was supposed to work with ended up alone for the first few hours of the day, and was robbed the same day. He had no choice but to simply listen to the man putting a gun to his face and hope that nothing would happen. I feel this situation could be entirely avoided if more concern were given to the safety of pharmacies. Not only could my pharmacist have been more safely guarded with his own gun, but if there were more cameras or more security within the store. In this particular pharmacy, there is only two cameras- one pointing at the pick up counter, and one pointing at the drop off counter. The robber confronted the pharmacist at the consultation window, so was not seen on pharmacy cameras.

Pharmacy robbery is a severely underlooked topic. It is a growing problem as we see more robberies in our area. There is no issue with having the ability to protect yourself- it is just important that you take the responsibility to properly educate yourself first.

Karen Ross
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
Wingate University School of Pharmacy 2017

Unknown said...

First of all, the case of Ersland, the pharmacist who was convicted of first degree murder of the robber has resulted in life sentence for the pharmacist and both the robbers. I believe that this sentence is justified because Ersland fired 5 shots to the unconscious robber, who has no way of defending himself. That is considered as a murder, not just self-defense.
Next, I believe that pharmacists should have access to weapons to protect themselves and their employees especially if they work in dangerous areas. Having a weapon means that they would have a way to defend themselves, but they should not use it like how Ersland did “after” the robber has already been down, which posed no threat. However, if he didn’t have a weapon, his store would have been robbed, and he might have been injured or shot. In this case, having a weapon would considered as a way to protect yourself from enemies. If I were put in that situation, I would fire elsewhere to scare the robbers before even thinking of targeting them, because at the end of the day, they are still people and you should understand why they want to rob your pharmacy. If the robbers persist after my warning shot, then I would deliberate on other options such as trying to disarm them, or shooting in the arm or legs as last option. Regardless of who or what they do, taking someone’s life is still a crime.
Jacqueline Luu.
WUSOP Class of 2017.

Anonymous said...


I think that pharmacists should be able to have firearms. Each pharmacist should have the right to decide whether or not they would like to have them. It is scary knowing what people will do to get some of these drugs so the pharmacist needs to be prepared for anything. I think that most pharmacist would be responsible enough to know how to handle having firearms. There definitely needs to be some kind of plan just in case something does happen. Everyone who works in the pharmacy needs to be aware of this plan. I do believe that it is best to give robbers what they want and right after they leave to call the police.

Courtney Harrell
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

I think that the downside of a pharmacy career is the increase risk of robbery. Not only do pharmacies have a lot of money coming in, they also have medications that people may want to get a hold of. I think the best thing to have in place is a plan for the pharmacy if a robbery was to happen. For example, the pharmacy I work for has a small button behind the back counter that can be discretely pushed to alert the police. We are also told from the time of being hired to give a robber anything they want and not risk out lives. Also, being in a small town, the police department is located right behind our pharmacy and the police will spend many nights sitting out back during the time we are closing up and leaving. However, this isn't always the case, and we have one tech in our pharmacy who will bring her pistol in her pocketbook into the pharmacy since she has her concealed carry permit. The owner is, of course, aware and approves of this. It has been relieving to have at least in one instance when we were required to deliver to a house where a sex offender was listed as living. I don't think a pharmacist should try and be the hero in the case of a pharmacy robbery, but if it was to come to the point where they could stop a robber from harming other employees or customers, I think they should have something that would allow them the ability to do so if they pleased.

Alyssa Harkey
WUSOP 2017

Dustin Webster said...

I believe that pharmacies should be able to bear arms. The world as a whole is becoming worse and worse, so there must be precautions taken in order to protect yourself and others. I believe that community pharmacies are more prone to being robbed because people believe that are vulnerable. At home, a few of the pharmacists have concealed carries and we have guns on the counter. In my opinion, you should always prepare for the worst than to be caught red handed without any form of protection when a situation arises.
Dustin Webster
WUSOP Class of 2017

Charles Whisnant said...

I think the option of carrying a weapon is something all pharmacists should have available to them for their own protection and also the protection of pharmacy employees. I do think that this is a responsibility that should come with variable training and the knowledge needed to operate the specific weapon. In the specific case that we noted in class pertaining to the veteran pharmacist, the pharmacist was defending himself but also went overboard with his protection by shooting the man a few more times than needed. Then again, he did have a pretty good case of PTSD (this should also been taken into account in court).

Charles Whisnant
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

I think this topic is a very political one for me. I believe in gun rights and I have the constitutional right to defend myself at home and at work. I think a pharmacists, we should have the right to be arme3d at work and defend ourselves form potential theft. I think the line should be drawn where who gets to carry and how much training they should receive. I can see there being a problem when a pharmacist has to use deadly force, an innocent person may get hurt or killed. There must be training involved with either law enforcement or independent tactical instructors to be certified to carry a firearm in the pharmacy. I personally want to be armed in my workplace but I feel that you must be careful if you decide to use it. I think that you have to think about all the possible outcomes before you decide to use it. I know that some people just feel that they will just tell a robber to take it, but that person may in turn take your life because now you are a witness. You can never be sure what will happen even if you cooperate so it’s better to be prepared. I also think you should be able to carry you weapon because you never know what may happen once you leave work. I know about a pharmacist who was shot and killed because he would not fill that person’s hydrocodone early. Personally, I would rather die on a pile of brass then be killed defenseless and cowering. I would rather be injured or killed defending my staff and patients from a robber than standby and let harm come to them


Tavie Laws

Unknown said...

I feel that it is important for everyone to be able to protect themselves. In the circumstances of a pharmacy, it would be extra important to have protection. A pharmacy is a huge target for robberies. In a pharmacy, there are drugs that a thief may want. I do not think that it should be mandatory to have a firearm in the pharmacy. However, it should be an option for the pharmacist. If I were a in a pharmacy, I would like to know that I can defend myself if someone were to try to rob me. I feel that if someone has a gun in the pharmacy, they must go through adequate training on how to handle a gun. The person carrying should know exactly how to use a gun, when it is appropriate to use it, and the consequences of use. Also, there are other means of protection that do not include firearms. It would be appropriate to have pepper spray or a taser or something else available for those pharmacists or techs that do not feel comfortable with a gun. Being someone who has grown up around guns, it is not a big deal to me to have to handle one. If I felt like my life was in danger, I would have no issue with protecting myself. I do not feel that having the firearm on your person at all times is necessary. It should be placed in a certain place within the pharmacy. There should also be a clear and precise action plan for if something were to happen.

Anonymous said...

Any pharmacist who so chooses to should have access to weapons in order to protect themselves or customers. While you cannot make it mandatory, criminals rarely have a death wish and would be less likely to attempt robbery knowing that death from weapon use could be their outcome. This is exemplified in the small Georgia town of Kennesaw where for years, mandatory ownership of a gun in each home, reduced crimes against persons by 74 percent (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1818862/posts). It could not be made mandatory that everyone be trained on or required to use a firearm or alternate weapon. If you so choose to carry a weapon, additional training should be mandatory. If found in the situation and unarmed I would complete the requests of the robber in hopes that they would leave after getting what they wanted. No drug or amount of money is worth a life. If armed and presented in a robbery situation, I would fire upon the robber if I felt that an employee’s life, customer’s life, or my own life was in jeopardy. Ultimately, each pharmacy needs to have an action plan on how to handle a robbery situation.

Tyler Billings

Unknown said...

There is no question about the fact that pharmacy robbery is on the rise. This is due to the amount (monetary) and types (controlled) medications that we have behind the counter. However, I do not agree with the suggestion that pharmacist should carry guns in their pharmacies in order to protect themselves, their employees and patient in case there is an armed robbery.
I don’t think the solution to armed robbery prevention is more guns. If a pharmacist is getting robbed, I don’t think retaliating with a gun is the best option. This could escalate things and bring about unexpected outcomes. Hence, no matter what or how much the armed robber is demanding, it would be safe to just comply in order to prevent escalation of that unfortunate event.
The bottom line is as pharmacist, there are some practical things we can do to prevent our stores from becoming targets for armed robbery but there is not much we can do to prevent armed robbery in general. Hence, complying during an armed robbery is the best course to take not resistance or retaliation.

Anonymous said...

I think that more pharmacists will end up being injured if they decide to carry weapons while working. If you do not know what you are doing and you freeze up while getting robbed, you will probably get shot! This is a personal choice that a pharmacist should be able to make. I believe that companies should give their employees this option (pharmacists only). When making their decision pharmacists should weigh the benefits vs. the risks of carrying a weapon into the pharmacy.

Gkeemia Gibson
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

I don’t think it should be mandatory for pharmacists to have weapons but I do think they should have the option to have one. Everyone has the right to bear arms and defend themselves. There should be regulations and training that the pharmacist have to go through in order to make sure they know what they are doing and know what they are getting themselves into.

Steven Walls
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
WUSOP 2017

Mimi Le said...

Yes pharmacists should have access to weapons to protect themselves, their employees, and patients in the case of a robbery. There are a wide range of weapons. There are firearms, pepper spray, tasers, knives, knuckle rings, etc. Every pharmacist is different and are probably comfortable with different types of weapons. Me personally I would be more comfortable with spraying someone with pepper spray or punching someone in the face. I am a little bit weary about having firearms though. Even if people have taken a firearms class they don’t use them everyday and there will be those that are still a little intimidated by them and others that are trigger happy. It’s hard to determine who should have a gun. Personally I have shot guns before but I still think they are very intimidating and in a robbery they can easily escalate the situation and cause extra fear. I would assume if someone is robbing a pharmacy they are not in the right state of mind and are probably high. The best thing to do in that situation would be to comply with the robbers needs and remain as calm and friendly as possible. All pharmacists should take a self defense class, which will build self-esteem because the pharmacist won’t feel so helpless. This will help alleviate panic when a robbery occurs. This gives them a better chance of getting the gun out of a robbers hands than using a gun against them, and causing the robber to be even more erratic. Robbers may feel a lack of control when faced with a gun and are not only afraid of getting caught but they are now on high alert and afraid of getting shot.

Weapons should be a last resort. Pharmacists should have an action plan and practice it, like fire drills so everyone is prepared. There should be “fake” robberies and constant modifications to the action plan. Also panic buttons should be available everywhere like they are in banks. Pharmacists should have buttons on them like the life alert buttons that old folks have like on the commercial where an elderly person yells, “Help! I’ve fallen down and I can’t get up.”

Another idea would be to have placebo medications that look like drugs that most robbers want but instead be sedatives or non-lethal poisons (like those on Breaking Bad). Or maybe pharmacists should have a tranquilizer gun like those used on bears.


Mimi Le
WUSOP 2017

Thuy Nguyen said...

First of all, I want to mention about the right using firearm of pharmacists in a dangerous situation to protect themselves, their employees and customers. As we know, pharmacy robbery is in deeded a big issue and always around the corner, which according to statistic, has rose in these current years. Personally, I did not have a chance to witness a robbery with gun, but I do feel like situation. In my opinion, basing on personal opinion of each pharmacist, types of pharmacy stores (chain or independent pharmacies,) and location where has low or high crime rate, pharmacists should use appropriate safety system or firearm to protect and prevent from robbery. It maybe is surveillance cameras, alert systems, or guns. However, I think the law should draw the line between pharmacist, who uses guns to defend himself or herself, and how many hours should be required to go through training or taking safety classes to learn how to use and handle it. On the other hand, I also think that depending on each situation in pharmacy robbery, pharmacists must be careful to decide to use or not use firearm because everything possible happens, and it may be good or bad outcomes. It is not worth it if pharmacists are trying to protect some pills putting their life or customer’s life on the line.
Next, when reading the article which mention about a pharmacist who shot the guy five times, in my view, we should not shoot someone multiple time or chase robbers when they are no longer harm to you.

Thuy Nguyen
WUSOP 2017

Unknown said...

A pharmacist should most certainly have the option of carrying a firearm as long as they have their concealed carry, have extensive training/practice, and are well versed in gun laws, since not all concealed carry classes are created equal. The pharmacy should have panic buttons throughout the store. What if the person behind the counter gets shot? Well, I know I would not run to the counter to hit the panic button for her. There should also be detailed action plans that are practiced every couple of months as well. Every employee or person in the pharmacy should have an idea of where to go for safety during times of emergency and an idea of what actions to take. You definitely do not want patients to start judging you if you are carrying a weapon because we all know people do judge. As a pharmacist, you do not want this because you are trying to instill trust. I think security guards are very valuable, however I understand the cost of having one may be out of the budget’s range.
I definitely agree with Mimi though. All pharmacies should have tranquilizer guns in equestrian or bear grade.

Anonymous said...

I believe that it is the pharmacists right to be able to protect themselves using fire arms. That being said, I think there needs to be some sort of regulation placed on pharmacists such as gun and safety education yearly as well as a limitation on which firearms are allowed. There would be no reason to have a machine gun in a pharmacy. A common misconception is that guns are dangerous. This is false. It is people behind the guns that make them dangerous. The more you know about how to properly handle and fire arm, the less potential for danger. Though having the right to carry a firearm will help in states of emergency, it is also important to have an effective safety plan. Being prepared for the unexpected is the ultimate way to maintain employee safety.

Legacy Marsolek
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

I don’t think that pharmacists should have fire arms behind the counter because there is a potential that if the robber is unarmed he/she can take the weapon from the pharmacist and become a dangerous threat. At the same time I think it is important that there be some mechanism of self-defense in pharmacies such as those available in banks. Maybe implementation of an emergency button that informs the police of danger or some mace behind the counter for self-defense could be made available to create a safer environment. Even having security hired would be a good idea rather than having a gun available behind the counter. Having a firearm available means that every pharmacist and staff member would have to be trained to use the firearm which I personally think is a major hassle and unnecessary.

Pooja Duggaraju
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

I do not believe that pharmacists should have firearms. For one, that could lead their patients to having a different view of them. Also, it may distort their view of the pharmacy as being unsafe. The possession of a firearm for self defense seems like a reasonable thing; however, the same firearm owned by the pharmacists may used against them. Personally I would not know how to handle a firearm, which could lead to even more serious troubles if it was to go off. A tranquilizer gun would be more beneficial to me. That way no one is killed. There should be a different set plan of actions in case of situations such as a robbery. If a pharmacist is ever in that situation, the best thing to do would be to listen to the robber.

Sheng Vue
WUSOP 2017

Anonymous said...

While I completely support second amendment rights, I do not believe pharmacists should be armed with a gun at their respective place of employment. I think there are many more precautionary measures that can be taken before resorting to having a gun behind the counter. Such alternatives could include metal detectors, security cameras and security guards. I think knowledge a pharmacist was armed would provoke a potential robber to participate in more extreme methods to obtain the medication they were seeking.

If a pharmacist were permitted access to a gun, regulations as to its use would have many gray areas. At what time would it be completely appropriate to pull the trigger on a robber? Every situation is different and defining a clear time to gun use would be difficult. Not to mention, all pharmacists would have to be educated on proper gun handling and safety. A pharmacist’s safety is a necessity but I believe we have more viable options than a gun.

Jordan Grubb
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of considerations to take into account when deciding whether pharmacists should have access to weapons in the pharmacy. I am not completely against pharmacists having access to weapons butI do think there are better options to protect pharmacy staff and patients. I think the best option would be putting security guards in pharmacies, especially those in high risk areas. Other options include panic buttons, security cameras, and metal detectors. If proper security measures are not obtainable, I do think allowing pharmacist’s access to weapons is a consideration. No one should be forced to be in a risky situation without protection. Proper training and protocol would be required if pharmacists were allowed access to weapons. In any case, weapons should only be used for protection. In Jerome Ersland’s case, I support his decision to protect himself, staff, and patients; however the extent of shots fired was not acceptable.

Laura Bowers
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

There is no perfect haven in the world today. When I lived in the small town, Brevard in North Carolina twelve years ago, we felt very safe. I used to unlock my home door during the daytime, and many of my friends often left their cars unlocked in the public parking areas. However, since I moved to the city of Charlotte, I had to change my habit.

The video clips were a shock to me: a pharmacist’s killing a teen burglar, brutal murders of four innocents at a pharmacy, and a robbery at another pharmacy. When I decided to become a pharmacist, I have never thought of being in the risk of robbery or life threats. Through the article and news video clips, I have thought how pharmacies can be a serious target for robbery because they have expensive drugs and money in the counter and in the closet.

I definitely agree that pharmacies need to have some essential security system such as security alarm system and emergency hotline with a police department in order to protect pharmacists, employees, and customers. RxPATROL is also a great effort to prevent from possible robbery and inform pharmacists and employees of important resources on safety. However, I do not agree on having access to weapons. Even though pharmacists have an access to weapons, I do not think it will really protect pharmacists, employees, and customers. Rather, it may bring a more tragic event such as the case of the Oklahoma pharmacist who killed the robber. I’d rather focus on security system with the help of police department. Like a local bank, pharmacies may need to establish a higher level of security system.

Ae Kyung Lee (Kim)
Wingate University
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate, Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that it is fine to have access to weapons and firearms when it comes to defending yourself. However, the situation can be debatable about when to use those weapons. Because taking someone's life using weapons is totally opposite to the definition of healthcare profession. I agree with Jacqueline that if I was in such situation where I had to defend myself, I would shoot at other places in pharmacy just to put the robber in fear. If not, then my last option would be shooting on his/her arm or leg. To do this, I believe pharmacists need training in defending oneself.
Talking about pharmacy robbery, the safest pharmacy that I could think would be those pharmacies that has InstyMeds, where no one is there physically. I believe InstyMeds would help lessen pharmacy robbery and protect pharmacist on the other hand.

Shruti S. Desai
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

I feel like this is a very important topic among community pharmacists in particular. Pharmacy robberies happen all the time, and more focus needs to be put into how to help prevent them or what to do if a robbery were to happen. First of all, I think the pharmacist or person in charge should have the right to have a firearm if they wish. They have the same rights of any other American to have a firearm for protection. However, they should also have to have a conceal carry permit in order to have it in the pharmacy. This will provide the pharmacist with adequate training and they will be more prepared in the event of a robbery actually happening. Also, there could be more security measures put in place to provide safety to the pharmacy and the staff. A pharmacy could possibly adopt some things from banks such as a panic button or some way to quickly contact emergency officials. More security cameras could also be put in place to enable the police to identify a possible suspect. These cameras will also help prevent illegal activities from happening behind the pharmacy counter such as taking money from the register and stealing controlled drugs. Overall, I think the security measures that pharmacies take now need to be revised. This will not only make the staff safer, but also possibly deter criminals from trying to rob the pharmacy in the first place.

Jamie Warren
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that everyone, no matter the profession, has the right to protect themselves and their employees. However, possession of a concealed weapon comes with great responsibility. If a pharmacist chooses to have a concealed weapon in the pharmacy, they should be required to have a concealed weapon license as well as be well versed on how to use the weapon properly. They should also have an action plan on the precautionary measures to take in the event that they would have to use the weapon. I feel that it is also important for the pharmacist to be comfortable using the weapon, as nervousness during a robbery situation could result in gun malfunction or shooting the wrong person. The safety of your employees and patients should be priority in any threatening situation. In conclusion, a concealed weapon in a pharmacy is a great way to protect yourself, your employees and patients but the weapon must be used and stored properly in order to have a positive effect.

Meagan Scott
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that having a weapon available in a pharmacy is a good idea because it helps provide protection in a case of an extreme emergency. A weapon should be on the person though, instead of sitting around somewhere in the pharmacy. This makes sure that if there is a robbery that warrants the use of the gun, that the gun will be readily available and will not be able to be accessed by the criminal as easily. However, in order for the gun to be concealed and on the person, there must be a concealed carry permit, which helps ensure that the person knows how and when to appropriately use the weapon. Another alternative to guns are things like tasers or pepper spray; anything reasonable that can be used for protection should be used be available. In addition, more panic/emergency buttons should be placed in multiple areas within the pharmacy and security guards should be hired in areas with a high crime rate. All of these things are viable options for pharmacist protection and should be evaluated deeply when making an action plan.

Trent Tysinger
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
WUSOP Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

I believe that all the pharmacists should have the right to stand their ground and defend themselves, their employees, their customers, and their pharmacy from robberies. I believe that if people who intend to rob a pharmacy know that the pharmacist is armed, they will probably think twice about attempting the robbery. If the pharmacist is unarmed, he or she is most likely a sitting duck and can be taken for all he or she is worth. My father owns his own pharmacy and has been held up at gunpoint. Because this issue hits close to home, I believe that he should be able to defend himself in any way possible. He now has a Magnum .45 in the pharmacy in case the unthinkable happens.

Christopher Stewart
WUSOP 17

Anonymous said...

This topic has shown to be one of the most interesting, in my opinion, this far. As a pharmacy professional we almost always think of the positve effects we can potentially have on our patients lives but very seldomly think of our own lives being at risk. In the case of having a firearm readily available for the pharmacist to use I can honestly say I am indecisive. On one hand if put in the predicament of an armed robbery I would definitely want to secure the safety of myself and other coworkers with a gun. On the other hand I can't see myself holding such responsibility. Having a firearm readily available leaves the determination of its use in the carriers hands. A simple altercation between fellow coworkers can easily go awry if a gun is introduced into the equation. I do however, see the possible benefit of having a security guard on duty to deter robberies altogether. I think overall, guns can be beneficial with the perfect outcome. I personally would not feel comfortable with this responsibility.

Roslen Bell

Anonymous said...

I have come to the realization that there is a possibility that as a future pharmacist, I could be held at gun or knife point. I have taken the liberty to try to be come knowledgeable about certain self defense techniques I can utilize. I believe that community pharmacies should offer self defense classes to any employee wishing to take them!

Greg Hanseler
WUSOP 2018