This clip is President Obama's view on medicinal marijuana. I completely agree with his stance. A physician prescribing marijuana as a medical treatment, if they deem it worthy, is no different than prescribing amphetamines or morphine as a drug treatment. If states begin to legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes, it can still be subject to federal law. Hopefully with the support of our President, there can be federal law change, and medicinal marijuana can be nationally legalized.
I think marijuana can be a very helpful drug for patients with particular diseases, but it, like any other drug with “pleasing” side effects, will be abused. I feel that because pot is already so easily obtainable illegally, that making it legal for some residents will just amplify the illegal use. When I was in high school, it was easier to get pot than alcohol. Are states really trying their hardest to screen patients, before issuing them the “prescription” for marijuana? Or are they giving it to anyone who has [supposed] symptoms/diseases? I’m from Michigan, where we passed the law making marijuana legal in 2008, and I know multiple people who somehow managed to obtain a “prescription” for it, with less-than-severe ailments.
The 2005 Raich Supreme Court decision did not overturn or affect state law, and 99% of all marijuana arrests take place at the state or local level. This means that state laws afford substantial protection to medical marijuana patients. Currently, laws that effectively remove state-level criminal penalties for growing and/or possessing medical marijuana are in place in Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington. Ten states, plus the District of Columbia, have symbolic medical marijuana laws (laws that support medical marijuana but do not provide patients with legal protection under state law).
New Mexico passed its medical marijuana bill in early 2007. In 1998, voters in the District of Columbia approved a medical marijuana initiative by 69% but Congress was able to nullify the vote results because D.C. is a federal district and not a state.
Thirteen states have medical marijuana research laws, and only fifteen states have never had a positive medical marijuana law.
After the Iowa State Board of Pharmacy recommended to the state laws for medical marijuana use, a channel 8 news reporter went to California to find out how medical marijuana works. While visibly pregnant, she tries to get a medical marijuana card to see if there is an "ease of access."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZEofSOQYJU
Here's a YouTube video regarding a bed-ridden MS patient's struggle to use his legal medical marijuana in a Canadian nursing home, even when delivered by a governmental courier.
With all of the benefits of a truly remarkable plant, I feel that it is unethical to refuse this treatment to patients who truly need it. However, I do feel like any other narcotic dispensed in a pharmacy, there needs to be tight dispensing regulations. A criminal and overall background check should be performed before issuing anyone a permit. It should be taxed to the point of being beneficial without making therapy unavailable. The dispensary in CA illustrated in the first video showed a price range of $20-$75 per gram, which is only enough for about a day's use, medically speaking.
One issue that I worry about with medical marijuana is the issue of safety, and I do not mean this in any other way than the safety of the people who dispense it. As much as prescription medications are abused on the street, pharmacies are robbed everyday. I am concerned about any potential increase of robbery attempts on dispensaries or pharmacies.
Here is a link to the 1 hour 45 minute documentary called "The Union". It covers everything about marijuana (medical, recreational, and industrial) including both the good and bad involved in the controversy. The first marijuana law in the US was in Jamestown Colony, Virginia in 1619. The first 2 copies of the Declaration of Independence were written on hemp paper made from the marijuana plant.
This documentary is amazingly informational and entertaining.
I believe that the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes is something that can truly help certain patients who are suffering different ailments, whether it be pain, insomnia, poor appetite, etc. I agree with the idea that prescribing marijuana is no different that prescribing patient's to schedule II narcotics, with the latter having arguably more serious adverse effects. However, I also agree that its legalization could actually increase the illegal use of marijuana as a result of unwarranted prescriptions and increased ease of access. We already see this sort of activity with legal, prescription narcotics. Ultimately, I think marijuana's use for medicinal purposes is legitimate and offers a more natural, organic alternative to typical synthetic pharmaceuticals.
Here is a link to a video that shows the benefits of medicinal marijuana while also illustrating a misplaced conviction for a patient in need of relief:
Drew Carey interviews people from all walks of life who are “prescribed” marijuana. He also shows what a pharmacy that dispenses this drug would look like and the different "dosage forms" of marijuana.
I don’t have a problem with marijuana being used for medical reasons. However, I feel that the federal government needs to step in to help standardize some of the current laws that are going into effect in different states. For example, some states allow individuals to use marijuana for medical purposes while others don’t. Different states allow individuals to possess varying amounts of the drug. Another issue is state laws don’t regulate marijuana’s quality of potency. Also, some states don’t address ways of obtaining the drug, and some states only allow marijuana to be used for specific disease states or health problems. Without a standardization of laws I feel that it will be difficult for society to efficiently and effectively deal with the issue of medical marijuana.
On another note, according to CNN, Arizona is now the 15th state to allow marijuana to be used for medical purposes as of Sunday, November 14, 2010. http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/14/arizona.medical.marijuana/
I would add to the argument, "dispensing marijuana is similar to dispensing another narcotic in a pharmacy," that marijuana is substantially less dangerous than other narcotics prescribed. There are far less side effects and long term damage from use. It will be even safer when it is available in a dosage form that isn't smoked.
I feel that marijuana should be used as a medicine. Marijuana does act upon the receptors that bind endogenous chemicals, like anandamide, used to reduce pain. Marijuana can, and should be used to help those with terminal illnesses. Also, here is a journal article discussing the inhibition on angiogenesis by cannabinoids, acting on VEGF. http://www.fasebj.org/content/early/2003/03/02/fj.02-0795fje Evan MacDonald P1
I think its about time marijuana became legalized for medical use. Federal laws need to be changed so that more research can be done on marijuana on its benefits and lead to standardazation just like other drugs. Drawing from the article, the current state of affairs poses more risk because States that allow medical use of marijuana seem to not have well defined control mechanism and its very likely for abusers to take advantage of that. The bottom line is, there are more people who want to use marijuana without a legitimate medical reason and therefore strict control and standards need to be established to make sure legalization of marijuana is for the benefit of patients and not just "brothers" and "sisters" who want get high. This will only happen if the Federal Government accepts that there is a legitmate benefit for patients and allow and fund research in oder to have more evidence based uses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_qwaCFRes&NR=1 The above link is a video on youtube and the statements made in it are closely related to my views of medical marijuana. I feel that it is a natural drug that has been used for centuries as a medicinal drug. It is not synthesized in a lab and it does not have as many devastating side effects as other narcotic analgesics like Morphine and Oxycodone. I do feel that recreational use of marijuana should remain illegal and the right to use marijuana should be given to the terminally ill or those in such pain that the use of the medical marijuana would give them a better quality of life. It is certainly not acceptable in my eyes for these patients to use this drug in a public area or to operate a vehicle after the use just as one should not when using any other prescription pain reliever or sedative. There is one statement made in the video regarding the fact that marijuana is a schedule 1 drug and cocaine is a schedule 2, and cocaine is such a potent drug that is has the potential to kill someone in one use. I don’t necessarily agree that smoking the marijuana is the best option for the persons health but unless there is a major development that establishes a better delivery system I suppose that will have to do for now. In regard to the fact that I am suggesting medical marijuana for the terminally ill I suppose the fact that it is smoked should not really be the area of concern for these patients. I hate to sound cruel but the patient is terminal, they just need something to make them comfortable and be able to handle their pain until they are no longer here. Tiffany Benfield P1
This is a CNN video showing Anderson Cooper visiting a California dispensary known as the "Farmacy" which is co-owned by a pharmacist who has spent most of her career in traditional medicine, being a community pharmacist. It shows different kinds of marijuana and different forms it can be administered in, such as biscotti which I found funny, also across the bottom where CNN viewers can write in and comment on the news story as it is being broadcasted one comment says 'Legalize pot? Why not legalize being a loser?', I also thought it was funny that CNN decided to post this specific comment. Biased?
I think that medical marijuana should be legalized for patients who need it. As a future pharmacist I would have to agree with the other students who said it is no different than dispensing a narcotic. I personally would feel alot more comfortable dispensing medical marijuana than dispensing CII's.
I found this website that talks about medical marijuana use and how patients who currently use marijuana for pain management need safe access.
Deciding whether marijuana should be legally used as a medical treatment is a very controversial subject and there is a very fine line when comparing medical marijuana versus using it for recreational purposes. It is true that marijuana may help many patients, but there needs to be very high restrictions before a patient is actually able to receive marijuana as a medication. If a physician is confident enough to prescribe marijuana to a patient, then there should be logical reasons and should be used only as a last resort in a controlled setting.
I believe that medical marijuana is sometimes useful for patients in chronic pain. A powerful narcotic such as Morphine Sulfate can easily be used to commit suicide because of the potency of MS. With marijuana, the patient could get pain relief with relatively no risk of overdosing. Also in North Carolina, marijuana is a CVI. This means a patient could get in more trouble carrying a bottle of MS around than a few blunts. Marijuana is practically legal in North Carolina and there has been no evidence that the smoke from marijuana harms the lungs as cigarette smoke does.
I think that legalizing marijuana completely is not a great idea. I do not think that there is anything wrong with prescribing it in the rare cases that it is absolutely essential for a patient's healthcare needs. I do think in those cases there has to be very strict regulation of marijuana. I think the doctors writing the prescriptions for the marijuana need to be monitored and checked every couple weeks or months and the patients that are receiving the marijuana need to be monitored as well. I do not think marijuana should be impossible to get, but i do think that like any other addictive drug, marijuana needs to be very strictly regulated.
I feel that marijuana should be made legal for medical purposes. I do not believe that it should be used for recreational purposes. Like any drug, marijuana should not be abused and only used when legitimately needed. Individuals who suffer from depression, anorexia, bulimia, cancer, and other difficult diseases would benefit greatly. Eating would be made easier for individuals with eating disorders while those individuals with painful diseases would also be greatly benefitted. Marijuana would help individuals with depression and anxiety due to its sedative effect. Another positive point to consider is that marijuana does not have the toxicity risk like other anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications. No individual has ever over dosed on marijuana and it is not an addictive substance. Marijuana does not even have to be smoked. There are many other ways that individuals can get the benefit from using marijuana products. Individuals would not have to worry about their lung health and function because marijuana can also be taken orally (in pill form or in food). I feel that medicinal marijuana would help stimulate our depressed economy as well. Think about it; the benefits outweigh the risks!
A physician prescribing marijuana as a medical treatment, if they deem it worthy is no different than prescribing ampetamines or morphine as a drug statement. This is the comment made by Ashley Reese and it is completely true. IF there is a medical reason behind it then sure let it be dispense. The problem is in the manner it being dispense. It should be regulated like any other drug instead of a person being able to walk into a dispensing store and have as much as he wants combined with any flavor they want. I think that is a bit much. First, the dispensing store needs to be a professional environment. Second, the amount of marijuana needs to be controlled and regulated depending on the medical condition. Third, it should be professionally dispensed without having 32 different flavors like an ice cream shop. I understand some antibiotics come in different flavors to help with children/adults swallowing their medication, but I'm sure no one needs flavor marijuana to help them inhale their smoke.
Medical marijuana could be of benefit to many patients who suffer from AIDs and cancers and they have no other route to a cure. I believe we should possibly legalize it for medical purposes while keeping it illegal for recreational uses. It seems to me the “cards” that are handed out today are way too easy to get your hands on. Some of the individuals are card holders who do not actually have a true disease. If we were to legalize it, there should be a tighter regulation on the dispensing practice of this as a medication. But, to me the legalizing of marijuana is being pushed by those who are using the marijuana “not for medical purposes” but for recreational use only just to feel good!! Josh Waters P1
I have to admit I never really knew exactly what marijuana was being used for in respects to diseases/medicine. After reading the article, I believe that marijuana should be legalized on a federal level and classified as a Schedule II product. The people who "qualify" for using marijuana are suffering from very severe diseases. If this is the only thing that will help them I believe they should have a right to it without being criminally charged. People who are in severe amounts of pain are given very strong pain medicines that are abused all of the time. What is the difference?
Medical marijuana is one of the most widely supported issues in drug policy reform. Numerous published studies suggest that marijuana has medical value in treating patients with serious illnesses. At first, I thought that the idea of having marijuana as an apporved medical drug was preposterous. This is the same drug that not only has addictive potentials but also produces intoxication that causes distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problemsolving, and problems with learning and memory.
What bothers me is the risk pharmacists would face if the "medical marijuana" does not provide the results it ought to show. Would the pharmacist be held accountable for it or would it be the government? Because, if this negative side effects of this drug comes to light and blows out of proportions, someone has to be held accountable. I am not fond of the idea that the pharmacists would have to pay the price for the government's incompetence.
This article talks about how medical marijuana helped a child who has autism to live a normal life. Because his child did not respond to other conventional medications, his parents decided to try medical marijuana. They saw tremendous amount changes since they started giving him marijuana. I think legalizing marijuana is highly beneficial for those patients who suffer from terminal cancer and other chronic diseases. However, it’s very crucial to strictly regulate this drug just like other schedule medications to eliminate people who intend to use it recreationally.
24 comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvUziSfMwAw
This clip is President Obama's view on medicinal marijuana. I completely agree with his stance. A physician prescribing marijuana as a medical treatment, if they deem it worthy, is no different than prescribing amphetamines or morphine as a drug treatment. If states begin to legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes, it can still be subject to federal law. Hopefully with the support of our President, there can be federal law change, and medicinal marijuana can be nationally legalized.
Ashley Reese P-1
I think marijuana can be a very helpful drug for patients with particular diseases, but it, like any other drug with “pleasing” side effects, will be abused. I feel that because pot is already so easily obtainable illegally, that making it legal for some residents will just amplify the illegal use. When I was in high school, it was easier to get pot than alcohol. Are states really trying their hardest to screen patients, before issuing them the “prescription” for marijuana? Or are they giving it to anyone who has [supposed] symptoms/diseases? I’m from Michigan, where we passed the law making marijuana legal in 2008, and I know multiple people who somehow managed to obtain a “prescription” for it, with less-than-severe ailments.
The 2005 Raich Supreme Court decision did not overturn or affect state law, and 99% of all marijuana arrests take place at the state or local level. This means that state laws afford substantial protection to medical marijuana patients. Currently, laws that effectively remove state-level criminal penalties for growing and/or possessing medical marijuana are in place in Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington. Ten states, plus the District of Columbia, have symbolic medical marijuana laws (laws that support medical marijuana but do not provide patients with legal protection under state law).
New Mexico passed its medical marijuana bill in early 2007. In 1998, voters in the District of Columbia approved a medical marijuana initiative by 69% but Congress was able to nullify the vote results because D.C. is a federal district and not a state.
Thirteen states have medical marijuana research laws, and only fifteen states have never had a positive medical marijuana law.
Reference: http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/medical/
There are differences of medical marijuana from State laws. It's interesting so I would like to share here.
Ngan Tran - P1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj72e5q61Fs
Here is the link to the Keith Olbermann interview on MSNBC with Dr. Claudia Jensen regarding medical marijuana use in treating ADD & ADHD in children.
-Cole Herrell P-1 Student
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdQ-87OrTtY
After the Iowa State Board of Pharmacy recommended to the state laws for medical marijuana use, a channel 8 news reporter went to California to find out how medical marijuana works. While visibly pregnant, she tries to get a medical marijuana card to see if there is an "ease of access."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZEofSOQYJU
Here's a YouTube video regarding a bed-ridden MS patient's struggle to use his legal medical marijuana in a Canadian nursing home, even when delivered by a governmental courier.
With all of the benefits of a truly remarkable plant, I feel that it is unethical to refuse this treatment to patients who truly need it. However, I do feel like any other narcotic dispensed in a pharmacy, there needs to be tight dispensing regulations. A criminal and overall background check should be performed before issuing anyone a permit. It should be taxed to the point of being beneficial without making therapy unavailable. The dispensary in CA illustrated in the first video showed a price range of $20-$75 per gram, which is only enough for about a day's use, medically speaking.
One issue that I worry about with medical marijuana is the issue of safety, and I do not mean this in any other way than the safety of the people who dispense it. As much as prescription medications are abused on the street, pharmacies are robbed everyday. I am concerned about any potential increase of robbery attempts on dispensaries or pharmacies.
-Cole Herrell P-1 Student
http://documentaryheaven.com/the-union-the-business-behind-getting-high/
Here is a link to the 1 hour 45 minute documentary called "The Union". It covers everything about marijuana (medical, recreational, and industrial) including both the good and bad involved in the controversy. The first marijuana law in the US was in Jamestown Colony, Virginia in 1619. The first 2 copies of the Declaration of Independence were written on hemp paper made from the marijuana plant.
This documentary is amazingly informational and entertaining.
I believe that the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes is something that can truly help certain patients who are suffering different ailments, whether it be pain, insomnia, poor appetite, etc. I agree with the idea that prescribing marijuana is no different that prescribing patient's to schedule II narcotics, with the latter having arguably more serious adverse effects. However, I also agree that its legalization could actually increase the illegal use of marijuana as a result of unwarranted prescriptions and increased ease of access. We already see this sort of activity with legal, prescription narcotics. Ultimately, I think marijuana's use for medicinal purposes is legitimate and offers a more natural, organic alternative to typical synthetic pharmaceuticals.
Here is a link to a video that shows the benefits of medicinal marijuana while also illustrating a misplaced conviction for a patient in need of relief:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SGUKi6mNkM
http://www.reason.tv/video/show/57.html
Drew Carey interviews people from all walks of life who are “prescribed” marijuana. He also shows what a pharmacy that dispenses this drug would look like and the different "dosage forms" of marijuana.
I don’t have a problem with marijuana being used for medical reasons. However, I feel that the federal government needs to step in to help standardize some of the current laws that are going into effect in different states. For example, some states allow individuals to use marijuana for medical purposes while others don’t. Different states allow individuals to possess varying amounts of the drug. Another issue is state laws don’t regulate marijuana’s quality of potency. Also, some states don’t address ways of obtaining the drug, and some states only allow marijuana to be used for specific disease states or health problems. Without a standardization of laws I feel that it will be difficult for society to efficiently and effectively deal with the issue of medical marijuana.
On another note, according to CNN, Arizona is now the 15th state to allow marijuana to be used for medical purposes as of Sunday, November 14, 2010.
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/14/arizona.medical.marijuana/
-Kevin Morris
WUSOP P1
I would add to the argument, "dispensing marijuana is similar to dispensing another narcotic in a pharmacy," that marijuana is substantially less dangerous than other narcotics prescribed. There are far less side effects and long term damage from use. It will be even safer when it is available in a dosage form that isn't smoked.
I feel that marijuana should be used as a medicine. Marijuana does act upon the receptors that bind endogenous chemicals, like anandamide, used to reduce pain. Marijuana can, and should be used to help those with terminal illnesses. Also, here is a journal article discussing the inhibition on angiogenesis by cannabinoids, acting on VEGF.
http://www.fasebj.org/content/early/2003/03/02/fj.02-0795fje
Evan MacDonald P1
I think its about time marijuana became legalized for medical use. Federal laws need to be changed so that more research can be done on marijuana on its benefits and lead to standardazation just like other drugs. Drawing from the article, the current state of affairs poses more risk because States that allow medical use of marijuana seem to not have well defined control mechanism and its very likely for abusers to take advantage of that. The bottom line is, there are more people who want to use marijuana without a legitimate medical reason and therefore strict control and standards need to be established to make sure legalization of marijuana is for the benefit of patients and not just "brothers" and "sisters" who want get high. This will only happen if the Federal Government accepts that there is a legitmate benefit for patients and allow and fund research in oder to have more evidence based uses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_qwaCFRes&NR=1
The above link is a video on youtube and the statements made in it are closely related to my views of medical marijuana. I feel that it is a natural drug that has been used for centuries as a medicinal drug. It is not synthesized in a lab and it does not have as many devastating side effects as other narcotic analgesics like Morphine and Oxycodone. I do feel that recreational use of marijuana should remain illegal and the right to use marijuana should be given to the terminally ill or those in such pain that the use of the medical marijuana would give them a better quality of life. It is certainly not acceptable in my eyes for these patients to use this drug in a public area or to operate a vehicle after the use just as one should not when using any other prescription pain reliever or sedative. There is one statement made in the video regarding the fact that marijuana is a schedule 1 drug and cocaine is a schedule 2, and cocaine is such a potent drug that is has the potential to kill someone in one use. I don’t necessarily agree that smoking the marijuana is the best option for the persons health but unless there is a major development that establishes a better delivery system I suppose that will have to do for now. In regard to the fact that I am suggesting medical marijuana for the terminally ill I suppose the fact that it is smoked should not really be the area of concern for these patients. I hate to sound cruel but the patient is terminal, they just need something to make them comfortable and be able to handle their pain until they are no longer here.
Tiffany Benfield P1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo_q6ZuNkq0
This is a CNN video showing Anderson Cooper visiting a California dispensary known as the "Farmacy" which is co-owned by a pharmacist who has spent most of her career in traditional medicine, being a community pharmacist.
It shows different kinds of marijuana and different forms it can be administered in, such as biscotti which I found funny, also across the bottom where CNN viewers can write in and comment on the news story as it is being broadcasted one comment says 'Legalize pot? Why not legalize being a loser?', I also thought it was funny that CNN decided to post this specific comment. Biased?
Danielle Nichols P1
I think that medical marijuana should be legalized for patients who need it. As a future pharmacist I would have to agree with the other students who said it is no different than dispensing a narcotic. I personally would feel alot more comfortable dispensing medical marijuana than dispensing CII's.
I found this website that talks about medical marijuana use and how patients who currently use marijuana for pain management need safe access.
http://safeaccessnow.org/downloads/cancer_brochure.pdf
Deciding whether marijuana should be legally used as a medical treatment is a very controversial subject and there is a very fine line when comparing medical marijuana versus using it for recreational purposes. It is true that marijuana may help many patients, but there needs to be very high restrictions before a patient is actually able to receive marijuana as a medication. If a physician is confident enough to prescribe marijuana to a patient, then there should be logical reasons and should be used only as a last resort in a controlled setting.
-Maryann P1
I believe that medical marijuana is sometimes useful for patients in chronic pain. A powerful narcotic such as Morphine Sulfate can easily be used to commit suicide because of the potency of MS. With marijuana, the patient could get pain relief with relatively no risk of overdosing. Also in North Carolina, marijuana is a CVI. This means a patient could get in more trouble carrying a bottle of MS around than a few blunts. Marijuana is practically legal in North Carolina and there has been no evidence that the smoke from marijuana harms the lungs as cigarette smoke does.
Jeremy Efird- P1
I think that legalizing marijuana completely is not a great idea. I do not think that there is anything wrong with prescribing it in the rare cases that it is absolutely essential for a patient's healthcare needs. I do think in those cases there has to be very strict regulation of marijuana. I think the doctors writing the prescriptions for the marijuana need to be monitored and checked every couple weeks or months and the patients that are receiving the marijuana need to be monitored as well. I do not think marijuana should be impossible to get, but i do think that like any other addictive drug, marijuana needs to be very strictly regulated.
I feel that marijuana should be made legal for medical purposes. I do not believe that it should be used for recreational purposes. Like any drug, marijuana should not be abused and only used when legitimately needed. Individuals who suffer from depression, anorexia, bulimia, cancer, and other difficult diseases would benefit greatly. Eating would be made easier for individuals with eating disorders while those individuals with painful diseases would also be greatly benefitted. Marijuana would help individuals with depression and anxiety due to its sedative effect. Another positive point to consider is that marijuana does not have the toxicity risk like other anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications. No individual has ever over dosed on marijuana and it is not an addictive substance. Marijuana does not even have to be smoked. There are many other ways that individuals can get the benefit from using marijuana products. Individuals would not have to worry about their lung health and function because marijuana can also be taken orally (in pill form or in food). I feel that medicinal marijuana would help stimulate our depressed economy as well. Think about it; the benefits outweigh the risks!
-Sarah Helms (P1)
A physician prescribing marijuana as a medical treatment, if they deem it worthy is no different than prescribing ampetamines or morphine as a drug statement. This is the comment made by Ashley Reese and it is completely true. IF there is a medical reason behind it then sure let it be dispense. The problem is in the manner it being dispense. It should be regulated like any other drug instead of a person being able to walk into a dispensing store and have as much as he wants combined with any flavor they want. I think that is a bit much. First, the dispensing store needs to be a professional environment. Second, the amount of marijuana needs to be controlled and regulated depending on the medical condition. Third, it should be professionally dispensed without having 32 different flavors like an ice cream shop. I understand some antibiotics come in different flavors to help with children/adults swallowing their medication, but I'm sure no one needs flavor marijuana to help them inhale their smoke.
- Nick Conley (p1)
Medical marijuana could be of benefit to many patients who suffer from AIDs and cancers and they have no other route to a cure. I believe we should possibly legalize it for medical purposes while keeping it illegal for recreational uses. It seems to me the “cards” that are handed out today are way too easy to get your hands on. Some of the individuals are card holders who do not actually have a true disease. If we were to legalize it, there should be a tighter regulation on the dispensing practice of this as a medication. But, to me the legalizing of marijuana is being pushed by those who are using the marijuana “not for medical purposes” but for recreational use only just to feel good!!
Josh Waters P1
I have to admit I never really knew exactly what marijuana was being used for in respects to diseases/medicine. After reading the article, I believe that marijuana should be legalized on a federal level and classified as a Schedule II product. The people who "qualify" for using marijuana are suffering from very severe diseases. If this is the only thing that will help them I believe they should have a right to it without being criminally charged. People who are in severe amounts of pain are given very strong pain medicines that are abused all of the time. What is the difference?
Medical marijuana is one of the most widely supported issues in drug policy reform. Numerous published studies suggest that marijuana has medical value in treating patients with serious illnesses. At first, I thought that the idea of having marijuana as an apporved medical drug was preposterous. This is the same drug that not only has addictive potentials but also produces intoxication that causes distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problemsolving, and problems with learning and memory.
What bothers me is the risk pharmacists would face if the "medical marijuana" does not provide the results it ought to show. Would the pharmacist be held accountable for it or would it be the government? Because, if this negative side effects of this drug comes to light and blows out of proportions, someone has to be held accountable. I am not fond of the idea that the pharmacists would have to pay the price for the government's incompetence.
http://www.ktla.com/news/extras/ktla-sweeps-sams-story,0,6959760.story
This article talks about how medical marijuana helped a child who has autism to live a normal life. Because his child did not respond to other conventional medications, his parents decided to try medical marijuana. They saw tremendous amount changes since they started giving him marijuana. I think legalizing marijuana is highly beneficial for those patients who suffer from terminal cancer and other chronic diseases. However, it’s very crucial to strictly regulate this drug just like other schedule medications to eliminate people who intend to use it recreationally.
Post a Comment