Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Physician Assisted Suicide

Article

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJMRJi6ifos

I did a speech a few weeks ago on the benefits and risks of Physician Assisted Suicide. I found this video to be very informative and it helped me begin to be informed about the issue. Even though the video is in favor of PAS, the information and statistics stated in the video are all correct.

Jeremy Efird- P1

Natalie Svarishchuk P1 said...

Physician assisted suicide is a very controversial topic on which a lot of people have very strong personal opinions on. I think one's personal decision on this topic depends on religious as well as personal beliefs. I've done research on this topic for previous classes and I think that PAS should only be allowed in certain circumstances. In cases where a patient is terminally ill, PAS can be similar to turning off their life support. I think that there are cases where PAS is justified, but I think that overall PAS should not be made legal.
Physicians do not have the right to assist the patient in such a decision because I feel that oftentimes this procedure might be abused. I think that legalizing PAS might become a common way out of a hard situation for people who are tired of living. I think that there are cases where PAS might be justified, but overall, I believe that PAS should not be allowed.

Anonymous said...

P1 Tyrsa Creel

I think PAS should be allowed if the situation warrants it and the patient undergoes a psychological evaluation. The states that have these measures in place are going down the right path. Once a patient starts experiencing emotional distress due to their uncontrollable pain, why would we express that palliative care is enough? Why would we want a patient to suffer? It is a huge decision to undergo PAS, but I have always tried to put a loved one in the patient’s shoes and ask myself would I want someone I loved to suffer. We must respect patient autonomy. DNR’s are already in place and to my knowledge, patient counseling on this issue is not mandatory. This is a life and death decision. At least a patient has to pass a psychological evaluation several times before they are even given consideration for “qualifying” for a PAS.

Stephanie said...

I believe that Physician Assisted Suicide should become legal in all fifty states. The laws are in place (in the current states where PAS is legal) that make it where a patient is not "pushed" into doing it. The patient must be diagnosed with a terminal illness (at this point most patients are suffering heavily). The patient must also be able to verbally communicate the request twice separated by at least 15 days and must also be able to write fill out required forms. At these doctor visits the patient is mentally evaluated by two physicians to make sure the patient is mentally capable of making this decision. If this is an ends to their suffering and misery (because of their illness) then we should be able to assist them in dying with dignity. Why would anyone want someone to continue to suffer so badly - that is cruel. People should have the right to decide period.

To find out more about requirements of Oregon visit Oregon's website listed below.



- Stephanie Seda P1 WUSOP

Lisa, PharmD said...

As someone who has witnessed the end of life suffering of loved ones, I adamantly support physician assisted suicide (PAS). Who better to assist in the determination of end stage disease states than a physician experienced with end of life, who better to assist the patient in the daunting and feared end of life experience than a trusted health care provider, and who better to alleviate as much pain and unnecessary suffering than a compassionate physician?

Hospice is a blessed and wonderful organization. They help educate both the patient and loved ones in the natural progression of death and describe in detail the progression and stages of the end of life process. Hospice does not expedite death, they merely help elevate as much pain and suffering as possible and act as an advocate for the patient.

In conjunction with Hospice, I would like to see something (practice field, board certification, etc.) established solely to provide assistance to those who are faced with the unimaginable diagnosis of an incurable, ravaging disease. Assisted suicide happens more often than the health care profession would like to admit. It currently is illegal and due to the 'slippery slope' presented during discussions, will likely remain that way for a great while. Physicians have prescribed medications for the purpose of suicide, instructing the patient to take the medication not as written but as directed verbally and to contact them if any questions arise. There are countless nurses who have granted patient's wishes of overdose even though they may face prosecution if discovered. Death is the final taboo of society.

Finally, suicide is the ultimate example of autonomy in my opinion. Who better to decide when the end of life should occur than one's self? If I feel that I do not want to suffer through the inevitable for all mortals, who are you to say that I should suffer simply because of morality? If that is the case, why do we give pain medication to anyone? "This is the natural way of the world", "It is the will of the Lord", "It is the path you must walk". Why do we use statements such as these so vehemently when discussing PAS but describe the same statements as barbaric when discussing the pain of child birth? Ending suffering at the end of life should be what is strongly advocated for not strongly opposed merely because it is feared.

In conclusion, I feel that with peer reviewed guidelines, continual education of providers and the public, advocacy for guidance through the end of life process, and possibilities such as board certification in the management of end of life complications, PAS could be the ultimate example of health care. Death is a scary thing for many mainly because it is unexperienced, under discussed in society and health care, painful at times, and lonely; health care provider assistance would help elevate fear through education of the death process, sharing past experiences of other end of life patients, by discussing options openly and frankly, and ultimately by creating a death plan outlining pain management with the option of assisted suicide if the time comes as predetermined at the beginning of the patient-provider relationship - much like a mother's birth plan with health care providers regarding the birth of her child.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/16/eveningnews/main7061478.shtml?tag=mncol;lst;1


Lisa DePetris, PharmD
lgdepetris@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

When talking about “physician assisted suicide” I often wonder exactly what that term entails. I know that the administration of a lethal drug dose is considered physician assisted suicide, but is it also considered to be this when the patient requests that the physician stops all treatment?

I believe that the kind of “physician assisted suicide” that involves some sort of direct action on the part of the physician – such as lethal drug dose administration – should be an option for all terminal, suffering patients. There should, however, be an extensive process to approve a physician assisted suicide in these cases, as exists in the states that currently allow it. More than one physician should be required to make the same terminal diagnosis and the patient should be evaluated psychologically to ensure that they are in the “right state of mind” to make such a decision. As this subject is the matter of much ethical debate, each individual doctor should be able to decide for themselves whether or not physician assisted suicide is something they would be willing to offer to their dying patients.

In the case that “physician assisted suicide” means that the physician withdraws all life-saving treatments, I think all patient requests should be respected regardless of the views of the physician. As I said in class, I watched a video called “Whose Life Is It Anyway?” where the main character was left a paraplegic from a car accident and is only able to move from the neck up.
[http://litmed.med.nyu.edu/Annotation?action=view&annid=10005]
He suffered no brain damage, but his physical condition requires that others do nearly everything for him. He decides that he would like to stop the nutrition and dialysis that are keeping him alive, but his doctor protests. Before watching the movie, I questioned whether a patient who is not terminal should be able to make such a decision, but now having seen the film I truly believe in patient autonomy in these situations. So long as the patient is not asking the physician to actively cause their death, I think that the patient’s requests to stop therapies should be honored.

My honest opinion is that if someone wants to die as a result of a terminal or otherwise completely debilitating health problem, they will find a way to do it whether their physician helps or not. At least in the case of physician assisted suicide, all variables are controlled and the patient can die in a peaceful and dignified way.

Carolyn Kilbane P1

Anonymous said...

I have something to say here. 10 years ago, my grandmother passed away because of stomach cancer. She was in so much pain and had to suffer day by day. That was the last stage of cancer; and at that time, doctors in my country gave up because they didn't have enough skill and technology to do chemotherapy or somethings. My grandmother said she just wanted to leave unhurtfully; so please let her go. My entire family didn't do as her request; finally, she left...

Well, I was 9 years old at that time, but somehow I could feel her feeling and her pain; therefore, I thought it would be better if we let her go and not let her suffer anymore. So yeh, assisted suicide is not killing a person. In a case that we can't help patient live again and a patient requests the right to be died; I think it is a way to help them.

I am not really sure what I am saying here is right or wrong. It's just my thought.

To physicians, I am sure that they have to struggle themselves about this issue. So blaming them is not right. Thus, I think this issue can't be solved, it will depend on situation, patient, physician, patient's family to come up with decisions.

Ngan Tran- P1

Anonymous said...

Physician assisted suicide should be a right of a terminally ill patient in any state that they are in. I have friends who have watched their family members suffer through painful deaths due to life ending illnesses and I myself have watched family members go through it also. To see someone you care about going through so much pain that they are asking for it to just end is heartbreaking. A story that has stuck with me is a family friend who had to watch his mom die from lung cancer. In her last few days he said that she was screaming in pain from what she was experiencing. Nobody should have to suffer through that just to pass away, let someone die in peace, let it not be such a traumatizing transition.
Granted there should be stipulations associated with being allowed to choose physician assisted suicide, but is someone is going to die soon and does not want to endure all of the excruciating pain, then who are we to deny them and make them go through all of that?

Kristin Hanson- P1

Danielle said...

I wasn't sure how I felt about PAS before this year. I think the word suicide is what makes the whole idea hard to accept for many. There was a "suicide pact" my freshmen year of high school between some members of my class; it started the first week of school and every 2 weeks someone else in this group would attempt suicide. We didn't know who was in the group or who'd be next. My best friend killed himself that October. I'm sure a lot of us have lost loved ones through suicide and have had to watch the mess this leaves their families in. PAS is a different situation though, the person isn't healthy with a long life left to live, people aren't left wondering why they did it, could we have stopped it, or who they'd be today if they hadn't done it. The people who qualify for PAS are terminally ill or have less than 6 months left to live, they're suffering physical pain, not something that can be fixed with time and counseling. I got to watch Stephanie's presentation on PAS and this really helped me decide that PAS is not really the suicide most of us think of when hearing the word. As Oregon calls it the "Death with Dignity" Act it is more of a way to help people who are already on their way out leave with less pain and suffering and with more dignity than they would if they had to slowly die unable to do anything for themselves. I'm definitely not advocating suicide but I do agree that, with the current PAS guidelines, PAS should be made legalized in more states and be an option for people who are terminally ill or who have less than 6 months to live.
Danielle Nichols- P1

Anonymous said...

When I first heard about PAS I personally was very appalled by it. I sincerely did not agree with it and looked at it like murder. I can contribute this ideology to all the media attention that was given to the subject in the 1990’s and all the controversy surrounding Dr. Kevorkian. I wasn’t able to view the subject from the positive side until recently I saw a documentary on Dr. Kevorkian. I learned a lot more about the entire procedure and how it worked. It seems to me that there is a lot of compassion involved in PAS. If you think about it, we give animals the right to be “put out of their misery” yet we don’t allow the same for humans. I believe that if your morals allow you to go through with it then by all means go ahead.

Anonymous said...

I think the law shouldnt be standing on the way of PAS. This is a tough choice that in my opinion needs to be addressed by the patient, patient's family, and most importantly under the guidance of a well trained physician. May be the first thing to be done in making this a fairly acceptable medical practice is to change the name atleast by removing the word suicide from the picture. I think the most important thing is to make sure that patients in great pain during their final days receive as much palliative care as possible to reduce the chance of them considering PAS. If the best available care to alliviate pain doesnt help and the patient has been "sufficiently" counselled, then i think PAS should be legally available to that patient if they "need" it.

Anonymous said...

The phrase "death with dignity" didn't mean much to me until I read both articles regarding physician assisted suicide. It is extremely hard to form an educated opinion about the topic without first understanding all the facts. Originally, I was against PAS, but after reading the articles I have a new outlook on the act. Terminally ill patients are just that, terminal. There is no cure for their disease, and death is clearly the outcome. With that being said, PAS seems like a valid option for a terminally ill patient. However, most patients who opt for PAS usually choose this option because they are experiencing extremely horrible effects of the disease. Being put out of their misery seems like the best option for the patient. Choosing PAS also allows the family to say goodbye to the patient, as well as relieve any financial and emotional burdens being imposed upon them by the ill. It's very easy to form an opinion as an outsider, and I truly think my opinion would be different if I had a family member that was requesting PAS.

Anonymous said...

Before I did my research to learn more about Physician assisted suicide, I was blindly against the idea. However, after reading stories where people suffer from unrelenting pain and nothing seem to help them, my opinion somehow has changed. The option of Physician assisted suicide arises after all treatment options have failed to relieve unbearable suffering. I think it should be up to the individual to be able to make this most private and basic decision. If I was in that patient’s shoes, I would not choose PAS but fight until the end. My personal and religious believes won’t allow me to do that. However as Dr. DePetris said, “Who better to decide when the end of life should occur than one's self?” If ending his/her life is what the patient wants do due to terminal illness, then with certain regulations the patient should be allowed to go through PAS.
http://ww.scu.edu/ethics/publications/iie/v1n1/suicide.html

Ferealem Assefa

Anonymous said...

PAS is a controversial topic tied into many of the moral and religious beliefs held by all of us. I can see both the pros and cons of PAS and think that it offers an option for those that are terminally ill and wish to die in a dignified way. However, like many things that we've talked about so far this semester, this needs to be tightly controlled so that this option is not abused. I like the information that Stephanie Seda gave us about Oregon and believe that if all states took these necessary precautions and steps before offering PAS, then the option could be extremely beneficial.

-Hollee Kitts, P1

Anonymous said...

I believe physician assisted suicide should be allowed in certain situations where the patient is suffering intense pain, or if they are terminally ill. In these circumstances, patients should have the option of PAS. In my personal opinion, I would hate to see my loved one suffer and go through so much pain, and not allowed the option of PAS. More regulations should be put in place to make PAS legal in more states, and policies to help regulate the process. I also agree with the mentor that “continual education of providers and the public, advocacy for guidance through the end of life process, and possibilities such as board certification in the management of end of life complications, PAS could be the ultimate example of health care.” If more people know more about PAS and the reasons why patients request PAS, then maybe society would not associate PAS as “bad.”
Sendra P1

Anonymous said...

Although physician assisted suicide may be a sin to some people, we must be realistic about certain situations. In my opinion, a person should have the right to decide whether they want to live or die ONLY if the person is in the right state of mind AND if the person is suffering from a terminal illness. If you know that a person is terminally ill and that he or she is suffering, then there is no reason why that person should not have the right to decide whether they want to put an end to their pain if in the long run, that person no longer has a chance of recuperating. We must not think of ourselves and of our beliefs, but of the pain and suffering the person is going through.

-Maryann Choy-Ames
P1

Rachel Lee said...

After reading the article I still don't know if I have an opinion either way. Part of me thinks that PAS should be allowed. There are some patients who are really in more pain/discomfort than imaginable. These patient's are not living anymore, they are just suffering. In this situation, I think it would be best that a patient die from PAS than from an attempt at their own life that may be harmful or unsuccessful. The "Yes" side of the argument also stated that some people object to PAS because they believe that the patient will only ask once. However, some patients will ask multiple times and the article states that there is nothing binding so if a patient changes their mind they can back out at any time.

I do think though that it should be up to the doctor. I do not believe it should be mandatory that all doctors/facilities participate in PAS. And I say all of this now but I do not know how I would feel about this topic if it were a loved one of mine who was wanting to end their life. So I believe that it is not something we can think clearly about until the situation comes up.

Renee Pitt, P1 said...

I am undecided on the issue. I understand the argument for physician assisted suicide (PAS), and on many levels, it makes a lot of sense. It certainly coincides with my natural inclination to let the patient decide their health care outcomes. As far as putting provisions set in place for having regulations on PAS, Oregon (and the other states that followed suit) seem to have done a good job.

Yet, at the same time, something just doesn't sit right with me in terms of PAS. It's such an irreversible and permanent decision to end one's life, even if we can accurately, it seems, predict the time of death as imminent anyway.

The problem is, to describe exactly why I may have objections to PAS, I would probably have to delve into my personal religious beliefs and how I view the point of life...so without doing that, suffice to say that I wholeheartedly believe that there is a point to the experience of human suffering, both going through intense suffering and watching someone you love have to experience suffering. However, that said, I admittedly have never experienced the physical or emotional pain to the degree or intensity described by those who are in favor of PAS, and thus, I come to the dilemma that I seem to be in: I don't know how I feel about PAS. I am undecided.

Anonymous said...

I feel that physician assisted suicide is completely immoral. I have a very strong opinion on this subject. I feel that one’s life is in the hands of God rather than the hands of man. I feel that no individual should be allowed to end the life of another. I view this subject in the same way as I do murder. I know that some individuals may be in unfortunate circumstances, but ultimately there are things out there that can help them. They can also serve as a source of inspiration for others who are in the same situation. Life is a gift; I believe one should treat it as such. Would you throw a beautiful gift away? I wish that individuals could see the positive light in a negative situation and use it to help others. However, I know this is much easier said than done.

-Sarah Helms (P1)

Josh Waters said...

Physician Assisted Suicide seen to some as murder. I feel this topic is very controversial to many individuals. Should we allow physicians to take part or ban it from practice? I think that it should be the patient’s decision to end their life or not; only if the patient is able to voice their opinion, if the patient is unable to give consent then this cannot be an option. Also, I believe there should be many rules and regulations set forth for this option to be used in a positive manner. We as a nation just cannot walk into a clinic and say “I want to end my life” I believe us as providers should be there to help the dying be comfortable and ease into their final days. Seen in Hospice, I have seen first-hand that they are doing the best they can in comforting families and the patient into the last breathes of the patient’s life. If Hospice is comforting the sick, why can’t PAS be an option in the practice? Just because of the bad opinions set before it, does this make our decision for us?
Josh Waters P1

Erin Wolfe said...

My opinion on physician assisted suicide is weak. Suicide, in any way, shape, or form is something I would call "sinful." Therefore, based solely on that, it seems my opinion should be that PAS is "bad." How can I condone something I think is wrong? The problem is that I can't stand the thought of someone living a prolonged six months, or however much they have left, suffering in pain. The thought of their family having to watch them slowly die seems like a much more horrible alternative. Therefore, my beliefs and my humanity are head-on clashing. How do you draw the line that defines your opinion on something like this? What's more -- once I make a decision, how do you define the gray areas? Quite honestly, I have no idea how to find any resolve in this decision.