Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Professionalism

Professionalism is something that you have been talking about a lot over the last couple of weeks. While most of us can recognize when behavior is professional or not, it can be hard to come up with a concrete definition of professionalism. APhA defines professionalism as:
...the active demonstration of the traits of a professional. These traits include: knowledge and skills of the profession, committment to self-improvement of skills and knowledge, service orientation, pride in the profession, covenantal relationship with client, creativity and innovation, conscience and trustworthiness, accountability for his or her work, ethically sound decision making and leadership.

There is also a white paper to further expand upon this definition as it concerns student pharmacist professionalism.

ACCP also has a white paper on the tenets of student professionalism.

Students, review the definition and skim the papers in the links. How has your definition of professionalism and being a professional changed since being accepted into and beginning pharmacy school? Can you recall a time where you have noticed highly unprofessional or highly professional behavior?

Mentors, how has your view of professionalism changed as you have graduated, received your license, and advanced throughout your career?

How can professionalism (or lack thereof) help or hurt a student pharmacist's career?

We had some great discussion today on how to define professionalism concerning knowledge base, attire, attitudes and beliefs, etc.  What else can we add to the definition and what do these resources have to say on the subject?

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

We didn't really touch on integrity outside of the workplace. For example,by law we are not allowed to disclose medical information about patients. Just because you step out of the pharmacy does not mean you no longer have that legal obligation.

Crissy Negron

Anonymous said...

Crissy, I think that is a really great point. It's important to maintain our professional behavior toward patients even when we are off the clock.

I would also like to add the thought of handling patient medical information while IN the workplace. I know we are required to use medical and personal information in order to care for patients, but as a technician, on occasion I have seen this lead to gossip about the patient while the pharmacists and technicians think they are alone together, mainly after tense confrontations with the patient.

That isn't professional behavior. It is important to maintain a patient's integrity at all times, including those exchanges between health care members in private. Even when patients are rude or difficult, it isn't proper behavior to pass judgement of this kind. It promotes an environment if distrust and hostility, both of which are against professional Pharmacist behavior.

Rebecca English
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Segwaying from what Rebecca commented on--gossiping about patients and how it is detrimental--the same can be said about gossiping about co-workers, other pharmacists and faculty. We as pharmacy students have to remember that our teachers are not only our teachers but that they are pharmacists as well. They will one day be our colleagues in the profession. They also will be giving us recommendation letters and know more people in the pharmacy world than we do. We heard over and over during orientation that that the pharmacy world is small. It would be unfortunate to start off our careers with an unprofessional reputation known for gossiping or talking bad about our professors.

This ties in with what the whitepaper articles touched on about having an enthusiastic and positive attitude. It also plays a big part in respecting those with whom we work with and those with whom we serve.

Kristin Payne
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Throughout my undergraduate years, professionalism meant arriving somewhere on time, if not early, following a business professional dress code, being an active listener, and being an engaged member in conversations or discussions with thoughtful responses. Basically, professionalism came down to ‘appearing’ and behaving a certain way during business settings only.

Upon being accepted into pharmacy school, my definition of professionalism has changed significantly. I’ve learned that professionalism extends beyond appearance in specific settings. To be professional, as a pharmacist, includes selflessness – putting one’s self aside to focus on the patient is of the utmost importance. A pharmacist must appear to be professional and approachable, but must actually be approachable and professional in a manner to be trusted. The patient is the focus and the job of the pharmacist is to make it apparent that they are in fact accessible and receptive to the patient’s needs or concerns. A professional pharmacist is also dedicated to ensuring the confidentiality of the patient, which helps to build more trust between them. Professionalism includes honesty, compassion, and being knowledgeable. The white paper articles and all of the teachings I've learned thus far in pharmacy school have instilled these necessary tools to become a successful, professional pharmacist.

For me, the definition of professionalism is almost like a way of life. The word is no longer associated with smoke and mirrors, but with lifelong commitment and the desire to grow as a person.

Tricia Tran
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

Before the start of pharmacy school, to me professionalism meant knowing how to conduct oneself in a business setting. Whether that meant arriving somewhere on time, keeping business appointments, and/ or being appropriately dressed. Now that I am in the pharmacy program at Wingate I have learned that true professionalism in a pharmacy setting is more than that. I have begun to build upon my previous definition.
I have since learned that true professionalism is something that should be observable at all times. Even though there is a separation between “work” an “play”, one should always keep in mind their professional image at all times. For example, say one likes to have a couple of drinks and wind down on the weekends. That is okay just make sure you know your limits and when things have gone too far. A DUI charge could quickly make you think differently of someone who was once looked up to as a trusted professional.
During my time working as a pharmacy technician I have unfortunately seen a plethora of unprofessional activity take place in a pharmacy. I have seen a range of things from people holding 30 minute personal conversations to pharmacist bringing their children inside of the pharmacy!!


Gkeemia Gibson
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
Class of 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

I really liked the second article. When I think of "professionalism" the terms of respect and integrity always come to mind. I think having respect for those around you (and also respect for yourself) in your words and actions is a big part of being professional. As a professional your moral code, your integrity, is very important. Always striving to do the right thing is a key trait for a pharmacist.

Wendy Sanchezruiz
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

I think that another aspect of professionalism that I have not yet seen be addressed on this forum is remaining polite while in the line of fire. We have probably all seen a pharmacist on the receiving end of an irate customer or been in that position before while working in a pharmacy. Usually the customer is just frustrated at the situation and ends up directing their anger at you because that is the only way they know how to show that they are upset at the situation. However, an occasional customer can be verbally abusive and intentionally focus their anger at a specific person (like a pharmacist or a technician) and blame them for a situation that is beyond their control. I personally have seen both of these situations firsthand and have also been on the receiving end of a frustrated customer myself. I think professionalism involves a person remaining calm and polite even when a customer is directing anger towards them (whether intentionally or unintentionally). It comes down to always treating people the way that you want to be treated. A lot of people would say “well I am going to treat this person the way they are treating me,” but this is not what professionalism entails.

Ed Svendsen
PharmD Candidate
Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

After being accepted into pharmacy school my definition of professionalism has changed to an extent. I now see the real value of having professionalism to uphold the standards of the profession. Without professionalism the standards and overall quality of the profession would decline. Pharmacists are viewed as trusted professionals and this needs to continue. For it to continue professionalism needs to be taken seriously. An important part of professionalism that was touched on in the second article is to make an unselfish commitment to serve the best interests of the patient. This is an important aspect because there are times when the pharmacist is very busy, but must remember that the patient comes first and that any concerns they have should be addressed at that time. From working in a community pharmacy, I witnessed pharmacists who displayed professionalism and even if they were very busy would stop what they were doing to actively listen and help the patient to the best of their ability.

Melissa Janis
PharmD Candidate 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

Commenting on what Ed Svendsen said, it is important in those situations when we are under fire to remember that it is very easy to feed the anger of the patient. If they are upset, and you mirror their emotions, they generally only get angrier and less receptive to your advice, suggestions, etc. If you choose to treat the patient the way they are treating you, it just goes in circles. The only real way to calm a customer down is to project a relaxed and professional attitude to them. Even if they are irrationally angry, they eventually get bored with your lack of response and move on.

It is also hard to remember that we need to know our working limits. By that I mean, if after 30 hours a week of work, you notice yourself becoming tired, irritable, and start finding it difficult to express compassion during the workday, then it may be that you are either working too hard or too often for your personal limits. We all have our limits, and most people have trouble admitting that. I've seen pharmacists work overtime and stay later than they are scheduled and, in the end, they become run down and it is difficult for them to maintain positivity when the job gets tough. I know my limit is around 30 hours a week, and that's okay. It isn't the full 40 hours that most people think they should put in, but I want to give high quality care, not just quantity of time.

Rebecca English
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

The idea of continuing education for the improvement of skills and knowledge is a topic I think we missed in class. This topic is not unique to the pharmacy world, however I think that it might be even more vital to the pharmacist than any other profession. We are going to be in an environment where many new drugs are being produced every single week. It will not be easy to stay on top of all this information but we must if we're going to be the most effective we can be. Patient care will suffer if we're ignorant of the solutions that have newly become available.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to sign that last post, sorry.

Mitch Speer

Anonymous said...

Before starting pharmacy school, when I thought about the word professionalism, the connotations that came to mind were often ones that pertained to how people dressed or behaved, in certain professional settings. I always associated specific events, such as interviews, or places, like a business office, with the word professionalism. Being professional or acting in a professional manner was always within a set period of time.
However, after starting pharmacy school, in the short time that I have been here, and hearing the word on a daily, if not hourly, basis, my perception has certainly changed. I have come to learn that professionalism, as it relates to a career in pharmacy, is more of lifestyle. It is not simply in the way that I carry myself in the pharmacy but proceeds to follow me even in my daily life. When I step out of my work place, in spite of the fact that I may be “off the clock,” my duties of professionalism follow me out of the door. Realistically, it makes sense. Even when I am not at work, I am still be considered a pharmacist. Regardless of where I go or what I am doing, I still represent the profession and therefore it is my obligation to act in a manner that would be appropriate and not tarnish what I am supposed to represent in society.
My experiences working in an independent pharmacy allowed me a glimpse of how individuals who conducted themselves in a professional manner were like. I recall numerous times when the pharmacist went above and beyond his duties to make sure that his customers were satisfied. Whether it was calling an individual to make sure they were taking their medications regularly, calling a patient’s doctor to ensure that a prescription was received on time, or even personally delivering medication to individuals. The degree of selflessness and concern that the pharmacist exhibited was a key factor in the overall fulfillment of his professional character.

Anonymous said...

Before starting pharmacy school, when I thought about the word professionalism, the connotations that came to mind were often ones that pertained to how people dressed or behaved, in certain professional settings. I always associated specific events, such as interviews, or places, like a business office, with the word professionalism. Being professional or acting in a professional manner was always within a set period of time.
However, after starting pharmacy school, in the short time that I have been here, and hearing the word on a daily, if not hourly, basis, my perception has certainly changed. I have come to learn that professionalism, as it relates to a career in pharmacy, is more of lifestyle. It is not simply in the way that I carry myself in the pharmacy but proceeds to follow me even in my daily life. When I step out of my work place, in spite of the fact that I may be “off the clock,” my duties of professionalism follow me out of the door. Realistically, it makes sense. Even when I am not at work, I am still be considered a pharmacist. Regardless of where I go or what I am doing, I still represent the profession and therefore it is my obligation to act in a manner that would be appropriate and not tarnish what I am supposed to represent in society.
My experiences working in an independent pharmacy allowed me a glimpse of how individuals who conducted themselves in a professional manner were like. I recall numerous times when the pharmacist went above and beyond his duties to make sure that his customers were satisfied. Whether it was calling an individual to make sure they were taking their medications regularly, calling a patient’s doctor to ensure that a prescription was received on time, or even personally delivering medication to individuals. The degree of selflessness and concern that the pharmacist exhibited was a key factor in the overall fulfillment of his professional character.

Brenda Simiyu
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
Wingate School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

I think my definition of professionalism has changed for me since I began school. As a pharmacy technician, I was required to show professionalism from the perspective of accurate work and maintaining a positive and professional attitude. As a student, I feel like a have more of a responsibility to uphold the defined meaning of professionalism. To me, receiving the white coat is like receiving a knighthood. I feel like I have been given a special honor and now I am obligated to carry out all that is entailed in this profession. I am eager to learn how to use my talents and idea to grow into a pharmacist who meets the definition of a professional. I have seen highly professional behavior exhibited by the pharmacist at the Target I work at. I have seen her perform all 10 of the professional traits throughout my time working with her. I have seen her pay for someone’s medication and mail it to them. I have also seen her 30 to 45 minutes with a patient just listening to them talk or comforting someone after their spouse has passed away. She is always ready to do her job with pride and accountability.

Anonymous said...

Since my acceptance into pharmacy school, my idea of professionalism has altered in that the seriousness of the topic has greatly amplified. I feel that professionalism is not a choice, but an essential asset to success as a pharmacist, as well as success in any given career. It is more than simply a skill; it is a lifestyle and mindset. Professionalism should not only be implemented in the work place, but should extend to other aspects of a professional health care provider’s life. In other words, I feel that it is important to maintain a respectful and appropriate image outside the work place. For instance, I believe that as a pharmacist, one should continue to exhibit proper behavior and mannerisms in public settings. It would be very unfortunate for a patient who viewed someone as a trusted pharmacist to witness that pharmacist displaying unacceptable behavior in public. Most likely, the patient would lose trust in the pharmacist as a health care provider and decide to switch to a different pharmacy to seek his or her medication needs. If news of the unprofessional behavior spread to other patients, this could potentially result in a decrease in the number of patients that come to that particular pharmacy at which the pharmacist is employed. In turn, the pharmacy would suffer from loss of business all because of one careless mistake of an employee. As future health care providers, it is important to keep in mind that professionalism should be applied to any setting. We not only represent ourselves, but the entire pharmacy profession.

Kimberly Pullium
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Prior to pharmacy School, Professionalism to me meant acting in a formal responsibly manner, to people, especially when at a job. I indeed perceived professionalism also, as a way people presented themselves in order to accrue respect for themselves and their profession. However, after experiencing pharmacy school for a few weeks, I now see that as a pharmacist, the concept of trust is very important too. While people in other professions may act professional to their clients, for pharmacists, being trusted by patients is of utmost important. We are privy to people’s vulnerabilities and sensitivities and we must act in a manner that ensures that our clients believe and trust that all information revealed about themselves and their lifestyle will be kept absolutely confidential and private. The ability to convey that we can be trusted is not only hinged on how we dress, but also to know how to tailor our conversations to our audience. Every word, facial expression or body language is an integral message to the patient, whose instincts tell them whether we can be trusted or not.

Adaobi Obika
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

Before coming into Pharmacy school, I thought Professionalism was just for when a person was at work or when there was a meeting you had to look respectable. Coming to Pharmacy school has taught me that Professionalism matters everywhere. Going to your sight for rotation, you have to look Professional. People also notice how you act. There is always a chance for someone to network and you do not want to be that one person that they remember for the way you acted or look. A person should want the respect of others. In the healthcare field there is many different interactions. Not just in the pharmacy, but the handling of doctors or coming into contact with other people in the field. The way we dress is just one aspect of professionalism. Dressing properly and professionally is important. After being in Pharmacy school, it gets easier to see how we are supposed to. Dressing properly at a pharmacy gives reassurance to the patients. Acting respectful is another key point. Patients should feel comfortable coming to you with any of their questions. There are so many parts of being professional it is part of our everyday life and lifestyle now.

Becca Giannetti
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

The way I perceive professionalism has not really changed much only that it is a set of behavior and conduct that is becoming and specific to a particular career. Although as it pertains to Pharmacy, I have so much to learn and a bit of it, I have acquired through orientation.Professionalism to me has always been an uncompromising set of personal and subjective demeanor and conduct that live up to higher set of rules, both explicit and implicit that is expected out of someone. Professionalism is not static it is a dynamic process required of a career so that it is held in high regard by the public in large.

Etienne Matanda,
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

I agree with what everyone is saying. Professionalism is a way of life in the pharmacy community.

Working retail for 7 years, I have seen a great deal of unprofessional behavior take place from pharmacists and techs. This has included gossiping about customers and coworkers, eating food while filling prescriptions, consistently being late for work, wearing sandals to work, and a coworker getting multiple DUI's and crashing their car due to drinking and driving, but continuing the behavior anyway.

I never thought of how important professionalism really is until I began pharmacy school, but it really is the foundation of this profession. Like it or not, appearance does matter and if we want to be respected and trusted as health care professionals, we have to carry ourselves as such.

Nicole Free
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

I always knew professionalism was an important aspect in healthcare as well as with any career. Once I got accepted to pharmacy school, I realized just how serious professionalism is in the workplace and outside of the workplace. Exemplifying professional behavior and dressing appropriately allows patients to approach us and trust our advice. Whether we would like to accept it or not, we are judged on our appearance. If we look sloppy and unprofessional, patients may not want to speak to us about their problems. When we act in an unacceptable behavior outside of the workplace, people will judge us and then associate the company we work for with that behavior. Some people find it hard to maintain professional behavior when customers are rude, whether it is a summer job or a career. No matter where you work, the way you react to customers and handle situations will affect you through life as you apply for jobs and use people as references.

Summer Powell
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

I believe professionalism involves doing the best to do one's job correctly, and accurately as stated in the AphA definition. Coming in to pharmacy school, I believed that professionalism in pharmacy meant doing one's work accurately and as best as possible for the benefit of the patient. However, even after the first few days in pharmacy school, my definition of the term has evolved. I believe it reaches out further than the skills and knowledge required about a profession. The way we carry ourselves, in our dress, attitude and manner, also apply to professionalism. Already in our first week, we have learned a great deal about the concepts of pharmaceutical care, critical thinking to the benefit of the patient and the way pharmacist must carry ourselves throughout our lives. Combined with these many aspects, I believe that the definition of professionalism is always changing, but towards a positive change which always looks out for the benefit of the pharmacist and the patients.

Chris Chu
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Thuy Nguyen said...


During four years studying at U.S., I started learning about professionalism. Previously, I thought professionalism is something about professional dress code, behavior and attitude at school which student must follow. However, during more than first week at Wingate University, I have changed my thinking about Professionalism. Now, for me, professionalism plays important role not only at school, but also at work. I learn how to establish productive and respectful relationships with faculty, patients, residents, staffs, and my colleagues because it is an essential component of providing the best possible health care in my future career. In class, professionalism is considered as coming class on time, active listener, communication skills, and participation in professional associations, activities, and community services. I also have gained a deep understanding of the duties of a pharmacist, listening skills, and also the importance of thinking creatively and critically. Besides that, I am responsible for patient’s health and also myself.
I believe that with the good professionalism, which I develop today, will help me becoming a successful pharmacist and having a positive impact on the lives of patients within community.

Thuy Nguyen
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...


My definition of professionalism has changed in many ways since beginning school at WUSOP. I never realized what an important role professionalism plays in pharmacy, but it is one of the most important aspects of the career. If professionalism was not important to pharmacists, many people would probably not trust and look to pharmacists as they do now.
When thinking about unprofessional behavior, one thing particularly comes to mind. Social media is now a way for people to stay connected and communicate, but many people, including pharmacy students, do not consider that professionalism should be executed even on the internet. While everyone has the right to their own opinion, it is never okay to post rude comments about customers, jobs, or anything career-related unless it is positive. We should all remember that what we say out of anger can be remembered as our character. It is important to be professional in all settings- in school, in the pharmacy and hospital, and even in public situations that have nothing to do with pharmacy. The lack of professionalism that a person has, even over the internet, can greatly hurt their career.
The most important aspect of professionalism to me is patient care. Pharmacists should always put the patients’ concerns, questions, privacy and well-being first. Being professional is critical for a successful career. It shows that a person cares about their profession, and therefore cares about the patient as well. It is very important for pharmacy students to have their own consistent definition of professionalism, and continue to adapt their personal definition based on experiences they have throughout their career.

Mary Parsons
PharmD Candidate 2017

Anonymous said...

My definition of professionalism has changed since the day I came to WUSOP. To me, professionalism does not only come through your knowledge, but it also come through a way of dressing, skills, behavior, and characteristic of an individual.
Professionalism goes in a two way direction. One is to be a great leader and one who give utmost importance to others, than him/her self. Two is to be a great listener and helper.
Before being accepted to WUSOP, I defined professionalism a person who has a great knowledge. But now I see there is much more than just being knowledgeable.


Shruti S. Desai
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Professionalism is really important in the health care setting, even when you are not at your work place. For instance, I have heard on numerous occasions from the pharmacists that I work with that patients will stop them in public to ask them health related questions or even call them at home. Even though they are not in the pharmacy, it is their job to still be respectful and professional in all settings. They must remember to be discrete when answering these kinds of questions in public and they must also handle the question with dignity. Also, health care professionals need to make sure that they are dressed their part even if they are going to the grocery store because you never know who you are going to run into.
In response to Rebecca English's post about gossip, I totally agree with you. I have seen this sort of thing happen on numerous occasions at my old job and it is very unprofessional. Whether we have had a confrontation with them or not, it is not our job to gossip about them. We need to present ourselves as professionals even when those around us choose not to.

Amanda Bradsher

Anonymous said...

After being accepted into pharmacy school my view of professionalism broadened to incorporate a variety of expectations and definitions to what “professionalism” is. This definition has the potential to change based on every person’s perspective. Some parts of this definition is more important to one person that another. For example, for one student honesty and dress code may be a big defining point for professionalism while another student may think responsibility and being service oriented is a key part. For me I started off thinking that professionalism is giving importance to dress code, being honesty, having knowledge in a given field of work and respectful but now after entering pharmacy school I think being altruistic, level headed, calm, trustworthy, and likeable are also key to being professional. I feel having these characteristics will help the interactions between pharmacists and patients so that they understand each other. The patient would feel like trusting and coming back to consult with the pharmacist if the pharmacist portrays them self in a professional image.
One example of professionalism was when I saw a manager deal with an angry customer by keeping a level head and he talked to them respectfully regardless of their crude language. I have also seen a great example of being unprofessionalism. A team leader at an IT Service desk initially started out polite but as I heard more and more yelling from the other side of the phone he snapped and yelled at the customer and insulted the customer before slamming the phone down. Seeing these interactions that professionals have in society has helped me shape the definition of professionalism in my own way.

Pooja Duggaraju
Candidate of Pharmacy 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Professionalism is an ideal that I strongly believe in. It is something that carries beyond the work place, but in every aspect of life. As aspiring pharmacist we are held accountable for every action that we take. Therefore, we must think appropriately about how we conduct ourselves at every moment of the day, not just during school or work. We are leaders in the community to which many people look up to. That is why we must lead by example in a professional manner on a daily basis. This idea of professionalism has changed slightly for me, because I now feel the responsibility that is given by being a pharmacy student. When I go to rotations I am not only representing myself, but I am representing my school, my family, my friends, and all other pharmacy students.
One major instance that I have seen of people acting unprofessional is the comments and pictures put on social media. Professionalism completely encompasses every aspect of life, and that includes social media. Not only future employers, but also every other person on the web has access to see what is posted on social media.

Robert Byrd
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

My idea of professionalism has changed quite a bit since working in a pharmacy and being accepted into pharmacy school.

I have always known the importance of taking pride in what you do and representing yourself well in and out of the work place, but I now realize just how much this can affect your career.

Pharmacists are are very highly trusted and respected in the community and much of this is based on their professionalism. If we went into work each day with dirty, wrinkled white coats, bed head, and tattoo sleeves, patients and other team members would probably take us less seriously and question our judgement.

Looking the part is not the only part of being a professional, though. I think it is just as important, if not more important, to act the part. You need to have knowledge and experience in your field, confidence in yourself, respect for teammates and employees, and compassion and respect for your patients.

There will always be times when our professionalism will be tested as a pharmacist when dealing with unhappy patients or rude coworkers. What sets a professional apart is the way they handle these situations patiently, calmly, and respectfully. It's not always easy to do, and I have seen things play out both ways; but situations typically go smoother for everyone when handled in a professional manner.

Cheryl Gentry
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Before starting pharmacy school I always viewed a professional as someone who had plenty of experience in their career. I knew that they dressed the part and acted in a very mature way. However, after orientation week I realized that being a professional is a way of life. You can't turn off/on professionalism. If you are a professional you carry that with you in every aspect of life. Since the start of school I have seen a huge difference in the way I go about things and I have been conscientious of the way I present myself to everyone around me.
One of the professional traits that was mentioned in the APhA definition that I personally have experienced since I became a student at WUSOP is pride. Whether I am in the grocery store or at the post office and a cashier or customer asks me what I am studying, I can't help the big smile that flashes across my face. I am extremely proud not only to say I am a student at Wingate University School of Pharmacy but to be a part of the highly trusted profession of pharmacy.
I can't recall a specific time where I noticed highly unprofessional behavior, however, with my many years of experience as a pharmacy technician I have noticed that there are just some pharmacists that I look up to and idolize and there are some that I do not. Until hearing the word "professional" day in and day out, I didn't realize what put some pharmacists on a pedestal. Now I know that those pharmacists displayed a level of professionalism that others did not. They displayed every trait in any definition of the word "professional", something that I too want to demonstrate in my career as a pharmacist.

Whitney C. Smith
Wingate University School of Pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate, Class of 2017

Jared Frye said...

Before orientation I never really gave much thought about professionalism except than looking the “part.” However, after orientation and our class discussion I realized that “looking the part” is only a small portion of what professionalism is all about. Professionalism entails not only looking the part but also gaining respect from the community (or the people you work with), knowledge of the subject, integrity, and how one may interact with others. Now, I realized a professional has to have the full “package.” Without the full package can you really consider yourself a professional? I mean, I can guarantee that everyone has had that one patient who never calls in their refills or constantly complains about their medication or the wait time—how you (the professional) responds to the situation is what makes you a professional. If you respond to the patient in a frustrated matter are you showing how a professional should act? Like I said before, I believe to be considered a professional you have to have the whole package. At this point in my life, I would not consider myself a “professional.” However I believe within the next four years, with the help of Wingate, all of us can call ourselves professionals. Over the next four years, I believe we (the students) should strive to have the whole “package” and act in a professional manner in every situation.

Jared Frye

Anonymous said...

I feel like professionalism is more of a character trait that should be shown by one's representation, through personal responsibility and by displaying a sense of maturity when handling any given situation. I personally worked at a chain pharmacy where the morning after pill is sold with the presentation of a valid drivers license. One Saturday morning a customer approached one of the technicians that was working with me about purchasing Plan B. The technician in response turned to go get the medication and loudly commented that she doesn't believe in the use of the drug and that she believed it was still technically "murder". The patient was mortified and embarrassed, which should NEVER occur at the pharmacy. It was completely unprofessional for the technician to have made any personal comments or gestures. Behavior like that is unacceptable and should be handled with appropriate action.

Anonymous said...

Before entering pharmacy school I saw professionalism as an outward appearance mainly because that is what everyone associates professionalism with, at first. After reading several items on professionalism through the course of two weeks I have begun to look at professionalism as a way of life. Appearance, even though highly recognized, is not the most important aspect to professionalism. Professionalism starts with a person's core values. Rotten to the core is not just an expression! Integrity, compassion, and honor are amongst the most important values. It is easy for others to look up to you and trust you when you have good, solid values. As a pharmacist we will and should expect to be viewed as highly respected and trustworthy people. It is important for the public to see us in that light so that we are able to do our job to the best of our ability.

Kim Coe
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Before entering pharmacy school my perception of a professional could be defined more as a definition rather than a concept. After reading various articles and sources available to me, I have now changed my own meaning of professionalism to something that was far from understandable earlier in my college career. I believe professionalism is an ideal set of values that analyze and develop the best possible work setting that is suitable for every type of person. appearance plays a major role in visible and physical professionalism but the basis is centered around a structured frame of thought that agrees with societal values. A professional is defined by societal norms and a synthetic code of ethics. A pharmacist should strive to be respected as a part of a professional group that works toward the common good of a community or human race ... for the most important role one must occupy in life is that of the one that it wishes to "change". A pharmacist is someone who has the ability to give a positive impact on one's well being and the ability to "change" someones life.


Charles Whisnant
Doctorate of Pharmacy Canidate
WUSOP
ch.whisnant@wingate.edu

Anonymous said...

To me, professionalism can be described as being an expert at your craft while maintaining the utmost respect for your field's ethics. It also means that this attitude should be conveyed to your patient in such a way that they are confident in your decision making skills.

My perception of professionalism has been reaffirmed through our orientation process as well as the first week of school. Simple things such as presenting yourself in professional attire and having the opportunity to take more cerebral classes like critical thinking help to shape professional attitudes and thought processes.

I have witnessed some of the most unprofessional behavior when emotions get in the way of rational thinking. Some of the most professional behavior that I have witnessed has come when people have refused to stoop to others level. Maintaining their composure has verbally and non-verbally shown that they are above childish behavior that can unfortunately arise at times.

Christopher Chad Stewart
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Professionalism is the ability to carry yourself in a respectable manner. It is important to give off an aura of professionalism, so that others will respect you and take you seriously in the workforce. Professionalism is the foundation, the facts and skills attained later are the house. Without the foundation, your house may collapse.



Matthew Ryan Quick

Anonymous said...

Professionalism to me is completing your goals in the most ethical and time efficient way possible. This has changed for me since I have been accepted into pharmacy school. Before I was a Doctor of Pharmacy candidate, professionalism to me was simply maintaining your moral character. Now, time efficiency is also a huge part of my personal definition.
I have experienced an occasion when professional behavior was not exhibited when it should have been. This occurred almost a year ago when I saw a medical doctor loose his temper on one of his secretaries. Not only was this unprofessional behavior, but he also influenced some of his business because the entire lobby of people were involved with this occasion.

-Taylor Morrisette

Anonymous said...

To me, professionalism is all about knowledge and attitude. Anyone can dress the part, but not everyone can perform. A professional should be knowledgeable enough to show mastery of most aspects in their career or ability to figure out a solution to an issue even if it is out of their area of expertise. Professionals should have integrity both in and out of the workplace. Professionals should be approachable with good attitudes and readily available to help in their respective fields.

As Pharmacy students we can practice all of these things to establish good habits that we can perform once we graduate and begin our careers. "Practice make permanent." Only perfect practice makes perfect. If we begin bad habits now as students it will be very difficult to undo them when we begin our first jobs (if we get them).

Crissy Negron
Doctoral Candidate Class of 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

I have always been aware of the importance of upholding a professional image as a pharmacist. We are entrusted with some people’s most confidential information. Since being accepted into pharmacy school, the concept of professionalism has become a lot more meaningful to me. My past work experiences have had some influence on how much I value it because I have observed several instances in my own work place of unprofessional behavior from both the pharmacists and the technicians. Personally, I found those instances to be very offensive. There were times where they have said derogatory things about one another, hung up the telephone on patients, or said rude things to customers that were difficult to deal with. All of these instances have made a negative impression on me, and reinforced how much I value professionalism in the workplace. If anything, I learned how I don’t want to run a pharmacy.

Taylor Peterman
PharmD candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

Before entering pharmacy school, I typically associated professionalism with established individuals who had a stable career and dressed the part in business attire, communicating about stocks and the world news over a morning cup of coffee. I never really considered the significance of professionalism as applied to students until I entered professional school. I always knew about the importance of acting appropriately while on a job and portraying one's self in a respectable manner, but pharmacy school has showed me that professionalism begins well before we earn our PharmD degrees and venture off into the real world of careers and responsibility. Professionals, like pharmacists, must not only dress accordingly to be taken seriously in the medical profession, but they must know how to collaborate within a team and communicate with others to achieve the common goal of ensuring the quality of life of all patients. Professionals are also capable of performing their job in a mature manner. As pharmacists, we must maintain the confidentiality of a patient's history and be willing to listen when patients come into the pharmacy with medical questions, whether they be simple or detailed descriptions of a particular concern. A true professional upholds all these aspects and still strives to learn more about their field of work, remaining open to new ideas and knowledge. Professionalism is extremely important to student pharmacists such as ourselves because as we lay the foundation for our future careers as pharmacists, we will be encountering many established medical professionals, residential programs, potential employers, and patient interaction situations. As students, we must now start taking on a professional role if we want to be taken seriously and advance successfully in our careers.

Kelli Ferguson
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
Wingate University
Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

A professional is someone that lives their life to the highest standards. Professionals should not gossip, especially about their patients and other co-workers. Professionals should be very caring, empathetic people that want to help others and understand that each person has their own struggles. As a pharmacist and professional, pharmacists should strive to better other peoples lives. They should not be judgmental and instead always try to learn from others. Professionals should always have an open mind and be confident in themselves and maintaing traits that include being honest, trustworthy, dependable, and optimistic so they can be a role-model for society.

Mimi Le
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

A professional is someone that lives their life to the highest standards. Professionals should not gossip, especially about their patients and other co-workers. Professionals should be very caring, empathetic people that want to help others and understand that each person has their own struggles. As a pharmacist and professional, pharmacists should strive to better other peoples lives. They should not be judgmental and instead always try to learn from others. Professionals should always have an open mind and be confident in themselves and maintaing traits that include being honest, trustworthy, dependable, and optimistic so they can be a role-model for society.

Mimi Le
PharmD Candidate 2017
WUSOP

Anonymous said...

To me, being a professional was always about doing your job and doing it well. That entails anything from going that extra mile to being conscious of how others perceive you. This still is my major definition of professionalism in pharmacy school. There have been multiple times I have seen professional behavior, usually when coworkers restrain themselves from belligerent customers.
Paul Rappold

Anonymous said...

During my undergrad years, I did not think much of professionalism outside of the generic definition of dressing nicely and speaking like an intelligent adult. I knew you must be a professional while in the work place, but my own thoughts on professionalism basically ended there. I gained a newer perspective once I entered pharmacy school and got a better view of what professionalism really entailed.

Professionalism is important in every aspect of your day. You must be professional both inside and outside of school, because humans are naturally a judgmental race and therefore will judge you based off of a first meeting. I can think of my own experience where I was at a friend's birthday party and some of the people there were medical students. They were loud, obnoxious, and made a lot of immature comments about medical school and what they were planning on doing with their careers. I remember thinking, "I would really not like these people being my doctor". I have to realize that people will see me in the same light now that I am a candidate of pharmacy.

So, it is important to make sure you are constantly giving off a good impression to others. This includes in the work place, in school, in general public, and even on places like Facebook. You only really get a few chances (sometimes even one) to leave a good impression with someone- so make it count.

Karen Ross
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2017
Wingate University School of Pharmacy

Anonymous said...

Before being accepted into pharmacy school, I never gave much thought to professionalism. Basically I associated the term professionalism only with mannerisms, such as dressing appropriately and treating your patients with respect. Now that I am in pharmacy school, I understand that the term professionalism encompasses so much more than just the way a person dresses and behaves. For example, professionalism includes accountability and accuracy, as well as dedication to the profession and to continue to expand your knowledge. This lack of professionalism may lead to a lack of trust within our profession.

Legacy Marsolek
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate
Class of 2017

Anonymous said...

The first time I heard and was introduced about the term” professionalism” was when I began doing volunteering at a Kaiser Permanente hospital in California. I was taught that professionalism means being on time, dress properly, listening actively to patients and never said, “I don’t know” to any patients. For examples, as a volunteer, although I was asked by a patient a question that I have no idea what it is about, I am not allowed to tell the patient that, “Sorry, I don’t know”. Instead, my answer should be, “I am not sure, but let me check with someone else about this.” Then, I should go and find someone else to find the answer. The idea that I was taught about professionalism in this hospital is “patient is number 1”. Everything I do, it needs to be about caring for patients.
After being accepted into and beginning pharmacy school, my definition of professionalism was broaden and more completed. Professionalism is not only about caring, but it also includes honor, integrity, empathy, compassions, respect, accountability and dressing professionally. Before, I thought that dressing is not as important as possessing the knowledge and skills of the profession. However, I change my mind now and start thinking about dressing professional is a part of being professional because this will be the one’s impression to the patients that will instill confidence and trust with patients and health care colleagues.
I strongly believe that professionalism can have good impacts on a student pharmacist’s career because it will help pharmacy student develop good behaviors such as being punctual, acting courteously, dressing professionally, actively listening, be patient and compassion as well as acquiring pharmacotherapeutic knowledge and skills. All of these behaviors and knowledge will help pharmacy students to establish and maintain trust with patients and other healthcare providers.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

My previous definition of professionalism was how one acted or dressed in a business setting. This meant arriving to appointments early, dressing professionally, and acting in a business manner. My definition of professionalism has changed since starting pharmacy school. I now see professionalism in a few different ways. Professionalism is how one carries themselves when no one is looking and how you impact your society. Professionalism is not only how you act inside the pharmacy but also how you act outside of the pharmacy when no one is looking. I have learned that being a professional you need to connect with people and maintain relationships. Pharmacy is a small world and it is important to connect and be friendly with not only patients but with other pharmacists and health care professionals. You never know where life can take you and it is better to have positive relationship with people rather than have negative relationships. It is important to be able to work as a team as a professional and in order to do that you have to be able to connect and maintain relationships with people. Professionalism is a way of life because once I graduate from pharmacy school I am upheld to a standard of a doctor which not only means inside of the pharmacy but outside the pharmacy as well.

Kelly Fuhrmann